Photo

New To Breeding Fish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GaryA

GaryA
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

I am new to breeding fish and come across this site and joined as we have a pair of Discus that are actively breeding but that is as far it goes angry.gif as the female eats the fries as soon as they are a couple of days old.
The fish are looked after very well but as i have discovered we are trying to do too much in one tank.
After reading that you should take the female out and place her into another tank and of course that means more dollars as we have to buy another tank/s to manage.
I have got the tanks ( fell of the back of a truck prices literally), but not the stands! In the process to build a stand to accommodate them.
So therefore to learn more about Discus and discus breeding join a club and ask questions and here I am... to hound you experienced breeders with questions and answers rolleyes.gif

#2 Elle

Elle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

Welcome welcome welcome

Plenty of very knowledgeable people on this site. Good Luck with the breeding
Probably dot the easiest species to breed first up because of there temperamental nature but good luck to you

C you round

Elle

#3 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi Gary!

Welcome to the PCS matey!

Re: Discus breeding. New Discus pairs take a few attempts to be good parents. After about 3 attempts and you see that they're still eating their young, it means that something is spooking them. Thats the nature of Discus unfortunately... Where is the tank situated? Maybe you should move them to somewhere quiet.. Also, if you really want to succeed at Discus breeding, a special breeding tank is recommended because you will need to raise the temp 2 degrees higher than normal (about 29 - 30 degrees) and also drop your PH to about 6.

I hope that helps. smile.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#4 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

Ooer another discus hobbyist biggrin.gif

In regards to breeding discus, there are many ways of doing it. Moving the eater out of the tank is but one of them, some breeders suggest you leave a dim light by the side of the tank 24/7 and that sometimes stops the eater from eating the eggs or fry.

A good source of discus info can also be found on www.discusforums.com

Good luck and cheers with the breeding biggrin.gif

#5 GaryA

GaryA
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone and yes have read on the net about these things but baby steps baby steps I must take only. Cheers though and I acknowledge your ideas most sincerely!

I am also well known in Australia and other countries for my knowledge at breeding exhibition budgerigars. my website address is http://budgies.sytes.net
take a look and when I do things I want to do them correctly as you will see.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users