Flake Versus Pellet Foods

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

In general, I'm wondering which is better? From some reading it seemed that pellets may hold nutrition better but also more possibility of swelling?

Craig

#2 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

Hi Craig, it really depends on what fish you are feeding - for some (ex. Tropheus) it would be much better to feed flakes, some other (ex bigger predators) will need pellets or even small quantities of fish... There's no better than the other if you compare the two as they could be even used together in a good and healthy fish diet...
I always alternate pellets and flakes for my fish, with other supplements, to keep them in a good shape and not make them too picky :)

#3 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

Edited by Buccal, 19 April 2016 - 02:22 PM.

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

Edited by Buccal, 19 April 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#5 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips, much appreciated. It's a little bit of a problem exactly with the little fish. Fish in the tank are tetras, rosy barbs and mollies up to angelfish. Plus yoyo loaches and bn catfish.   I'm feeding NLS floating pellets (I think) which are really too small for the angelfish and too large for the tetras. Plus sinking wafers.    And once a week frozen brine shrimp.  As well the fish have a good diet of tank plants....   The floating pellets are just about finished so I'd like to swap to a better feed mix. Even if this should be more frozen foods in there?   I like the idea of a vege base flake. Quality brands sounds good. Basically just trying to feed the smaller, larger and bottom dwellers a little better if any suggestions.   (I know it sounds a bit first world problems but the fish have threatened the plants....).

Edited by Delapool, 12 April 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:11 AM

Feed the aggressive feeders floating food at one end of the tank, feed sinking food at the other end for the timid feeding bottom dwellers while the aggressive feeders are smashing the floating food at the other end.

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

Edited by Buccal, 19 April 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Craig

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

I wouldn't be able to say what I think is better, as I use a mix of foods for my tanks. I use Aquotix growth and colour pellets, AquaPics Spirulina Flake food, and Age of Aquariums algae wafers. Fish seem happy enough. I used to mainly use NLS pellet food, but found the water to be cloudy after feeding the fish. Have since been using this mix of food.

#10 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

Edited by Buccal, 19 April 2016 - 02:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users