Photo

Water Colour

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 s.green8103@gmail.com

s.green8103@gmail.com
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

I did a 25% water change in my tropheus tank yesterday and got up this morning and the water has gone quite yellow. haven't added anything new to the tank (except the water). Used a tanganikan buffer and a few drops of tank water conditioner. All fish are fine. Have been breeding cichlids for over 10 years and have never seen this before. water parameters are normal. any advice would be greatly appreciated

#2 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

Bacteria bloom??

#3 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

Some foods contain organic substances, such as dyes and colourants, that may act as pH indicators, and often these substances are not completely utilised as nutrition, with the result that they are eliminated with other wastes. Did you by any chance check your pH levels before and after the water change? Remember that a change of as little as 0.2 pH units may be sufficient to activate a colour change with some indicators.

Syd.

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

Two ways I've seen this through personal experience,,,,

There are recent water authority maintenance in your suburb or your mains pipes firing line, then the biological growth on the inside lining is ruptured through maintenance and is a brown yellowing color.

Some long term built up waiste solids could be inside your filtration,,,,, as the waiste breaks down, the end product is very fine particle size which is basically like brown yellow water dye if it's released into tank water.
Once the filter is full of this, the fine solids start to leak into tank water.
This will see a water change with crystal clear result, then following day yellow.
Clean filter then yellow clears up if correct medias are in filters to strip it out.........
Or next water change will show improvement.

Using bore water some strange reactions can sometimes occur, but scheme water is generally stable and usually not an issue.
Obviously you've been traveling like a gun, then this happens out of the blue,,,, that's why I gave you those two suggestions in relation to your circumstance.
Hope you find it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users