Photo

Mixing Different Types Of Guppies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

I have 3 different types of Guppies going at the moment.

i was planning to keep all the 3 types of females and all the males in 2 big separate tanks, and only have a trio (1m & 2F) of the ones i want to breed in separate smaller tanks.

my concerns were;

In the big tanks ; females can't like.. do some weird shit and impregnate each other right?

and as long as i separate the babies early (like 1 month old) i shouldn't have any issues of accidently cross breeding?

thanks again in advance! :)

#2 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

females will breed but not with other females  but they do hold fertilised eggs for a long time

Any colony that which you wish to keep  Pure you must not let them mix

Im sure more knowledgeable ppl will answer more

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:29 AM

dicky got it pretty spot on.... to keep a strain of guppy as "Pure" as possible simply dont mix them.... but as guppies are always developing genetically different traits your so called pure species will not be the same in a few years unless you selectively breed to keep certain traits... you always seem to get a throwback somewhere along the line... and one that is just a little bit different to the parents and it passes this on and so forth.... if we both had a pair of visually identical guppy pairs and bred them together and never let anything mix with them in 5 years time we would both have different looking guppies....

#4 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

ah okay no problems then. i guess it would just be easier to keep them separate then.

actually the purple moscows i got from a pcs auction a few months back have had the odd one or two different colour. haha its quite fun to see what variations come out :) :)

#5 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

Best not to mix, it just creates a headache down the track. If you can tell the females apart (some have coloured tails) you could put the females in one tank and all the males in a different tank. Then you could keep any fry that are born and grow them up to see whats what, as no crosses can happen because they were fertilized before hand, if ya get my drift.

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:49 PM

actually the purple moscows i got from a pcs auction a few months back have had the odd one or two different colour. haha its quite fun to see what variations come out :) :)

when you someone selling blue moscows they have prob just pulled out some of the bluer ones that purple moscows throw....they are originally a hawaiian purple moscow.... but they will change unless you select the best coloured ones to continue breeding with.... 

#7 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:19 AM

Best not to mix, it just creates a headache down the track. If you can tell the females apart (some have coloured tails) you could put the females in one tank and all the males in a different tank. Then you could keep any fry that are born and grow them up to see whats what, as no crosses can happen because they were fertilized before hand, if ya get my drift.

yeah that was the plan i was proposing keeping all females and males separately but mixing the different types.

but since being informed that some females may develop male features when no males are around didn't want to risk that happening.

Heres what i have set up at the moment
eea07dd4ad3cad2b31da9d7cdd7defb2.jpg
42b29cf980e3bf811900c6f2a884f12b.jpg

(haven't cleaned or emptied one of the bigger tank yet)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users