Can You Use Co2 And An Air Pump At The Same Time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

hi guys i wanted to know if you can use co2 and an air pump at the same time?

#2 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

No, the aeration from the air pump will allow the dissolved CO2 to return to the atmosphere.
Your plants will be creating oxygen. Provided you don't overstock your fish you should be able to get by without an air pump.

#3 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

i havent got co2 yet but im going to make a system soon how long should i let co2 enter the tank and and how many bubbles a second of co2 should be entering a 70L

#4 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

:ThanxSmiley:

#5 Hooked

Hooked
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi Michael,

I have my Co2 come on an hour before the lights so the plants have a reasonable amount of Co2 when the photosynthesis starts. I turn it off an hour before the lights go out. I don't use air stones for reason Anka has said. A spray bar moving the surface, not to vigorously is plenty to put oxygen into the water. Dont have too tightly fitting/sealed glass lids if you have them. You need the fresh air to still be able to get in to the surface and allow vented Co2 to escape.I use good circular flow to disperse the Co2 into the water and helps move the air above the water also. Using a Co2 indicator glass bulb with the indicator solution is a good guide. Also watch your fish, breathing rate etc. If gasping at surface the Co2 is to high etc. Increase it slowly over an extended period, longer the better is good practice. Watch for the indicator/signs etc and back it off. If getting into growing/fertilizing your plants etc, try this site for good info,

http://www.barrreport.com

Don't be in a hurry, slow and steady definitely wins the race. Oh and if you conquer Black Beard Algae, let me know : )

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users