Photo

Advice On Tank Mates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jarrod90

Jarrod90
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

So I previously had my female jag and male texas (carpintis) in with a firemouth and jack dempsey, up until my Jag and Texas formed a breeding pair. The texas killed the FM, and I moved the JD into my housemates tank temporarily since he was being hassled by both the Jag and texas.

I am looking at getting a new tank soon, looking for a 6x2x2 or similar that I can run with a sump, and when I do I will be moving the Jag into it and leaving the texas with the JD (which I think is a male) in the current one.

I wanna get another couple of cichlids to go with the Jag, at the moment im thinking an oscar and maybe a GT (saum) but open to suggestions there...was just wondering if getting females will help much with reducing aggression. As far as I know those 3 can't interbreed so not sure if that will really have any effect.

Also want to find a couple of cleaners that won't get killed by the cichlids, had some goldspot plecos in there but they were getting huge, stirring it up and claiming the caves I built for the cichlids...any suggestions?

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Dunno if Im unlucky but whenever I have had a GT and oscar together the oscar gets flogged. Ive got a JD, SGT, Oscar and a Jag together that dont seem to mind each other too much. Had to ship the GT out. Gold spots get biggish but not huge. If you use something small like bristlenose they will probably get eaten.

I have mystery snails in all my tanks to clean up. The only issues Ive had was my Mangrove Jack chased them out of the tank, nothing else really bothers them much

#3 Jarrod90

Jarrod90
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Yeh the oscar is the one I am most unsure of, I really like them but just dunno if they could stand up to the other two. Since it's a display tank I kinda wanna get a nice range of colours from the 3 fish, and any others I've considered like RD or FH are another step up again in terms of aggression, don't wanna risk my Jag she was my first cichlid haha

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

My oscar and Jag get along awesome, both are same size. Oscar and Jag are dominant over SGT but no bullying.

#5 Jarrod90

Jarrod90
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

If I went with those fish, do you think the sex would make any difference?

#6 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Dunno if Im unlucky but whenever I have had a GT and oscar together the oscar gets flogged. 

My GT almost killed one of my oscars not too long back mate, it's not just you haha.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Probably depends on individual specimens temperament as much as anything, dunno tbh.
Matty, its weird cause my last GT didnt harass any other fish but beat the daylights out of the oscar. My last GT before that killed an oscar too, but wasnt fussed by other similar sized cichlids.

Edited by malawiman85, 20 August 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#8 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Yep mine is exactly the same man, so weird :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users