Photo

Shark Killing, Ridiculous

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Yet don't they shut down certain beaches in Australia for the majority of the year due to box jelly fish ? Which im pretty sure kill more ppl then sharks per year. So when we gonna start culling them ? Why were at let's cull snakes, spiders , mosquitos and you better cull me coz if I'm having a bad week and hanging for a bourbon and come home to you in my backyard raiding my drinks fridge there's sure as hell gonna be a fatality :) that's if my pitty isn't already snacking on you lol

#42 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

600 people a year die from masturbating

#43 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Im all for spider culls... Bugger the ecosystem!

#44 shep

shep
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Sir anubias .
We can't cull all the wankers
who would run the country then ?

#45 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Barnett the little Hitler, is now thinking about exterminating the crocs, what next snakes. Look out people you may be next on the enforcers hit list. Way to go BOOFHEAD BARNETT, lets wipe every thing out and live in a boring world with nothing to marvel at. YOU TURD FACE TOSSER.

#46 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

"Just a quick thought...." - I never would have guessed. Why not devote a few more minutes of consideration before typing. You can use the time to read previous posts properly.

Like I said before "The rest of your argument it out of context. The discussion is the removal of a wild animal that has the ability to attack - the rest of points are simply accidents."

More a turn of phrase than anything really. I read all the previous posts before contributing, that's an assumption on your part that I didn't. Kind of like my assumption that you've not really thought much into the repercussions of baiting and culling sharks.

The discussion is the removal of a wild animal that has the ABILITY to attack

I've been attacked by magpies, lets kill them

Bee's sting people, lets kill all the bees (and wasps)

All dogs and cats possess the ability to attack, lets slaughter them all too.

Bulls, they have horns lets kill them.

Even kangaroos have a nasty kick to them

etc etc etc

You cant just go and slaughter things because you are afraid of them or because there is the CHANCE you could get bit.

I've just had a brilliant idea that can save you from shark attacks though Leigh, basically we get a big hole and line it with something like concrete and we can fill it with water and perhaps put a fence around it to prevent drowning. Basically it's like a big bathtub, I might call this invention a "pool" and the people who are afraid of all the nasty fish in the sea can buy one and stay away from all those evil animals that "have the ability to attack" which you know, kind of describes pretty much any animal on earth including humans.

In Africa, a lion that encroaches on inhabited area's and is perceived as a threat is removed. If it is lucky it is captured and relocated to Kruger or similar (obviously preferable option). If it is not - it is shot.

A, this is Australia
B, Sharks are yet to grow legs and start attacking people in inhabited areas. Unless BigJohno has some freaky experimenting going on up in the hills to create an army of land-sharks
C, In those cases of a lion attack they probably have a much easier time identifying the specific animal responsible for the attack

#47 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

Haha I can imagine Johnno creating an army of land sharks, ready to fend off imminent foreign invasion.

#48 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

Bulls, they have horns lets kill them.

Cattle* have horns
Let's not discriminate based on gender

Edited by Androo, 30 January 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#49 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

i have seen a photo of johno's land sharks but cant get it of my desktop and on to here. lack the computer skills, would someone please have a look at  pecheur.info and post it?  it is a seagull morphed with a gw [meme?] i think some of you would enjoy it.  cheers

#50 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

I read all the previous posts before contributing, that's an assumption on your part that I didn't. Kind of like my assumption that you've not really thought much into the repercussions of baiting and culling sharks.

An essential part of reading is understanding what you have read. Why would you think I stand in support of "baiting and culling sharks"? Perhaps you missed below. Perhaps I can use shorter words??

That said, I support the killing of sharks that pose a direct threat versus the idea of indiscriminant cull based soley on size.

#51 DavidK

DavidK
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

I got so much to say so hopefully I'll remember it all :P

Firstly in regards to research. The research done on these animals is no near what it should be and at the start of this year/late last year the government denied an American research team (forgot the name, but starts with O) to do more extensive research on these animals.

Secondly, the bait lines which have been deployed have already caught other animals. A team of people (including a marine biologist etc) went out to look at the lines and found that each line had an animal on it, not a shark. They even had a photo of a bull ray eating a freshly baited hook (thankfully this ray did not get hooked).

Thirdly... The nets which they have deployed down south and said to be large enough to let marine life through, however small enough to keep large sharks at bay. This IMO is a good start and should be used more extensively to see results.

And lastly, in the past 3 years 7 people have died from an attack. The number has increased from about 1.5 a year to about 2 but this is PURELY due to a substantial increase in WAs population and therefore the number of people in the water year round is very high. There is no evidence to show that shark numbers are increasing, but there is a huge increase in human population.

And one more thing which I find sickening... Is that a lot of talk about great whites being killed is bad, but even the tiger shark is an endangered species... This information is from a marine biologist I work with.

#52 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Who's going to protest in cottesloe??

#53 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

An essential part of reading is understanding what you have read. Why would you think I stand in support of "baiting and culling sharks"? Perhaps you missed below. Perhaps I can use shorter words??

again an assumption on your part.

That said, I support the killing of sharks that pose a direct threat versus the idea of indiscriminant cull based soley on size.
cull  (kʌl)    — vb 1. to choose or gather the best or required examples 2. to take out (an animal, esp an inferior one) from a herd 3. to reduce the size of (a herd or flock) by killing a proportion of its members 4. to gather (flowers, fruit, etc) 5. to cease to employ; get rid of

I hope you realize that you're comment on only killing those that pose a "direct threat" is still culling based on size by the sounds of things. I still find "direct threat" to be a bit of a stretch, they're not coming onto land and attacking us in shopping malls. We're stepping off our land and swimming in their oceans and the % chance of a shark attack is minuscule when you consider how many people swim without being attacked. 

Look, if a single shark decides that humans are it's preferred food and starts regularly attacking people then sure I'd consider it a threat. But shark attacks tend to be single freak occurrences and then we rarely can identify the specific shark that did the attack. 
You mentioned that you'd have your dog put down if it killed someone, would you accept having your dog put down just because a dog of a similar size and breed attacked someone? no you'd request proof that it was your specific dog that did the attack.

Personally I still think if you have an issue with sharks that you should just swim in a pool. Even Bee's probably kill more people per year than sharks

#54 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

I am having trouble following your posts now. I think you are now agreeing with me now with your dog point - but dont really know?

Regardless, I assume from you stance that you will be marching for the sharks on the weekend. Best of luck.

#55 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Come to the protest Leigh I will make a "save the sharks" sign for you.

#56 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hmmm, actually that's a good point Bristled One

If someone jumps a fence into a private property and the guard dog attacks, should the guard dog be put down?

I don't think so.

Yet people seem to expect sharks to have morals and ethics about people.

The only thing a shark knows is if there is a live animal around and it is hungry, it can eat it. That's the advantage of being on the top of the food chain.

People go hunting wild animals for the fun of it, I wonder why it is a different story if an animal hunts a person for the fun of it...

#57 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

This all started when Barnett saw Sharknado and thought it was a documentary.

#58 jeffblack

jeffblack
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Who's going to protest in cottesloe??

It's easier to vent your frustrations on a webpage lol, my guess on how many people that will turn up that have posted on this thread, zero.

#59 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:55 AM

Ill meet you there with signs saying "kill the sharks"... I wonder what sort of response i would get... Well its my idea of fun anyway.
Reminds me of diehard 2? With Bruce Willis in Harlem with a sign displaying a provocative, racist comment.

#60 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Your just a man who likes to live life on the edge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users