Photo

Shark Killing, Ridiculous

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#101 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

If the drum lines are making the beaches safer then why the hell are they pulling up the ones at cottesloe for the rottnest swim??

#102 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

This is the part I really don't get.

They set up 'shark no go zones' where if a shark enters that area it can be caught and killed. But if they have lots of baited lines in the area they don't want the sharks in, aren't they just luring them into the wrong places?

#103 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Kinda seems like they are admitting the fact the sharks are being attracted closer to shore by their stupid idea, why else would they take the lines out when there will be a heap of people swimming to rottnest that probably want to be safe as everyone else feels with the lines out.

#104 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Just thought this was relevant and helps put the subject in some perspective

original.jpg

#105 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

i know i will be villified for this but i cant stand the nonsense anymore.i hope you bleeding heart keyboard warriars are total vegans with a strong aversion to omega 3 and krill oil supplements, otherwise you are all guilty to. and how many of you bred and fed those extra mouths [ hey kids fish fingers for dinner?, fish and chips anyone?] sharks are not the apex predator we are. we have been altering the balance since the hypothetical adam was a boy.some of you must be smart enough to realise we can habituate fish/animals/sharks to be comfortable with us.and assocciate us with food.if your not outraged by shark tourism ie cage diving, burleing [food] and putting people in front of them dont bother commenting i will quote some of the intellectual snobs on this site "pftt{"

ps. hope none of you use any form of pest control, after all what makes one animal vermin or food or sacred???

#106 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

Your argument is not really very coherent, but I will have a go at some of the bits.

i know i will be villified for this

Not so much vilified as ridiculed, I think.

We aren't talking in this thread about killing stuff for food. I imagine a lot of the sharks are killed for food. I just post it for some attempt at scale and proportionality.

Nothing wrong with killing stuff and eating it, but finning; killing stuff to eat about 3% of it ,is just silly and extremely wasteful. We extract omega 3 from very small fish on the whole, and krill... wtf do krill have to do with this, sorry? Killing sharks and dragging them out to sea is pointless and wasteful. I can't see how any of these 2m odd tiger sharks they are racking up are habituated to people.

I'm not a fan of cage diving. Cheap thrills for adrenalin junkies. Right up there with shooting tame lions on game ranches.

Yep. We are the apex predator, and we need to be a bit responsible about the way we exercise that. just because we can alter the balance doesn't mean we should send it all to hell in a V8.

AH.. pest control... Another red herring. The suburbs and our houses are a completely artificial environment. I lay cockroach baits. I do not see this as hypocrisy. Cockroaches are in no danger of even being locally scarce, let alone endangered. There is no bycatch to speak of, and we are not pulling their legs off and leaving them to starve, so what's your point? If Cockroaches were scarce and in danger of extinction, that might be different, but they breed so fast they have all the good jobs in Canberra now.

Ah... "intellectual snobs", is it? Namecalling is not nice. What if I were to characterise those opposed as neanderthal dumbarses? See? Doesn't advance the argument at all, does it? Now stop it. Try to spend some energy elaborating on your points a bit.

I usually find people who use the "intellectual snobs" line tend to follow it with an argument maintaining that their ignorance is as good as someone else's knowledge.

Cull is 1) ineffective

2) expensive

3) wasteful

4) not well thought out in terms of impact or alternatives

5) a sop to those of the voting public "want something done": cheap votes.

#107 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:31 AM

great comeback ,agree with a quite a bit of it,and had bit of a chuckle

#108 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Unfortunately our brain hasn't evolved with our physical evolution over the many thousands of years because we still think like a Neanderthal. Anything that we don't understand or that gets in our way, our first reaction is to CRUSH, KILL and DESTROY. It doesn't help when our leader is one (Neanderthal) as a lot just play follow the leader. Good on you Colin you know best GRUNT, GRUNT, GRUNT ( that's neanderthal for ) YOU GREAT WHITE DICKHEAD.

#109 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

colinbarnett.gif

#110 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

Looks just like the little tosser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users