• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 budz1982

budz1982
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

Thinking its a flower horn but unsure any help would be much appreciated

Attached Files

Edited by budz1982, 07 February 2016 - 08:13 PM.

#2 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

I reckon its a hybridized Texas.

#3 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Texas Cichlid, doesn't look very hybrid... But strange the colour is just very dull...

#4 budz1982

budz1982
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:43 PM

Thx heaps for your help i bought this fish about 7 years ago as a flower horn and knew they got a large bump on there head which i have been waiting for which oversly never came hahahaha so started going pics of flower horns and thought a few things dont add up :) thx again

#5 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:37 PM

Yep, Pretty sure what this is, well,,,, 95% sure.
It's likely from a batch with seperate species parentage (hybrids).
Trying to achieve the Red Texas or Super Red Texas.

It's a super green Texas (Escondido) X blood parrot "fertile confirmed".
Always using the pure Escondido as a stud there are sometimes two other species used as confirmed fertile females.
These are Kingkong high head which is another blood parrot hybrid also,,,,,, also other various flower horn types.
Using flower horn types results in a wide spread of throw back descendants. (Mixed appearances amongst offspring).

I know this because I bred three reds myself and were fairly red with bright green/whitish, silvery spots.
Bloody kicked myself for not carrying out a stricter grading process.
I had the Escondido stud and fertile female blood parrot.
Not one fry ever looked like the blood parrot.
Most looked closer to Texas with a slight loss of luster or gleam to its colors, but maybe 5% will get this aqua deep green with big silvery spangled spots.
More first spawn, 600 or so, I got one that was deep orangey but more redish fish that looked like a Texas but red base.
Second spawn, maybe 400 or so, I got another two red ones.
I did a culling process based on the number of fish being reared and also tank size.
Good thing was,,, is that what is called peeling,, typically meaning like blood parrots, they get dark colors for juvenile stage and slowly disappears and gives way to yellows, oranges and reds.
The good thing was I now know that the red hybrid ones peel faster, so early detection.
But to begin with I didn't know, and tried to keep more,, waiting for them to peel but didn't totally peel leaving patches or just crappy colors.
Going to cut it really short now,,, I had the few red ones and a few Aqua green ones and various others waiting to peel.
Got home one day from work, and a Aqua green one killed all its brothers and sisters.
End of next day, killed it's mum and dad.
Had this of taken place on a weekend, I'd be there to see it and I would have seperated it. Spewen.
That males resides in the tank today, very big and glowing green, kills anything instant.

Majority of offspring looked exactly like that pic up there.
It could be just another flower horn type.

When you Google up those pics of super red Tex,,,, never forget that it's 1 out of 400,,,, but the Asian countries can squeeze out 10-20 best quality red ones per 400.
This deserves appreciation .

I only ever bred them to get myself red Tex for display.
No hybrids were distributed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users