Photo

Gavin's 600l Inwall Reef

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Malaga Aquariums

Malaga Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for the offer on the seriatopora but no thankyou I havnt had a tank for years now.I was always after them but when ever they used to come in they were very stressed and never saw the first couple of days out in the shops they were in.

Cheers Kev

#22 Clay

Clay
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

I hope that wall wasn't load bearing, it sort of looks like it is in a critical spot in the house. was that hole already there or did you cut it out???

#23 Gavin

Gavin
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:03 PM

I cut the hole but not before checking carefully that the house wouldn't fall down ohmy.gif
It does support a beam but only at one edge of the wall, not where the hole is. Also the roof is colourbond with steel frame so it is quite light and to complete the trifecta I found the wall is built with solid brick, not fastwall bricks so it is very strong. I also fitted a thick hardwood frame in the hole to brace it.

#24 fishyyyyyy77

fishyyyyyy77
  • Banned

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

aye aye aye.. tooo much brainy stuff... even if salt water is extra effort.. it definately looks worth it hey oh wels *sigh* up for a water change today sleep.gif might take a day off and do it properly.. and trade in a cple to the LFS while im at it

anyone want a 3 inch oscar strong colour lotsa aggro? or a 20-25cm samontail catfish (hes just tooo big for my current tank.)

#25 Clay

Clay
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Gavin @ Jun 20 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cut the hole but not before checking carefully that the house wouldn't fall down ohmy.gif
It does support a beam but only at one edge of the wall, not where the hole is. Also the roof is colourbond with steel frame so it is quite light and to complete the trifecta I found the wall is built with solid brick, not fastwall bricks so it is very strong. I also fitted a thick hardwood frame in the hole to brace it.

hmmm... probly would have still got an engineer to have a look over it gav. by putting a hole in the wall you have made it alot weaker, that wall is under alot of compression force, just keep a close eye on it for any cracking. If it does appear with even minor cracks try fix it straight away mate, wouldn't take long to loose its structural adequacy i reckon.

#26 Gavin

Gavin
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

You sound like you may be an engineer? If so you're welcome to come by for a look....I can make it worth your while in coral frags biggrin.gif

#27 Clay

Clay
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

nah mate i'm just a draftsmen and don't have salt water tanks haha..

#28 samhaz

samhaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Hi Gavin

I am a newbie to the marine aquarium and would love some of your frags, are you selling any.

cheers sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users