Cycling Big Tank

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pat

Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:05 AM

Hey Guys,

Haven't been on here for a while. Hope you're all well!!

Basically I'm closing down some of my smaller tanks and have started cycling up a new one about 800 litres with a 180 litre or so sump.

It's a fish in cycle (very light bioload) that has been going for a couple of weeks now. I've been doing 10 - 15% water changes daily and have seen ammonia levels around 0.25 - 0.40 ppm prior to said changes.

I squeezed plenty of the sponges from the filters in my old tanks into the new sump in the first week.

The past couple of days I've had readings of 0.00 ppm ammonia. I am yet to register any Nitrite at all. (0.00 ppm every time.)

I tested for Nitrate and that seems to be indicating about 7.0 ppm. These readings (Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate) are identical to the ones I took from my established tanks as a guide.

Out of interest, I tested my tap water for Nitrate and it seems to be about 10.0 ppm!?? Higher than my tanks?

My understanding of the Nitrogen cycle was that the bacteria that turn ammonia to nitrite develop first and then the nitrite to nitrate follow and the test readings reflect this.

Is my tank cycled?

Pat

Edited by Pat, 19 January 2015 - 01:06 AM.

#2 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:51 AM

I wouldn't rush it, other wise it will bite you on the bum. Better to leave it awhile longer to be safe.

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

what about doing less water changes to let the ammonia and nitrite build a little?

#4 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

Tap water should not test positive for nitrate. I suggest taking a sample of your water to your LFS to test, as your kits may not be working properly. Always good to do a third party test before you assume the water is ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users