Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Mixed Herbivore, Omnivore And Carnivore Feeding Techniques?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tonster76

Tonster76
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Me again  :D

Does anyone have any tricks for feeding herbivores and carnivores Haps and Mbuna's in the same tank.

I'm mainly using herbivore and carnivore cichlid pellet food.

I can either use floating herbivore pellets with sinking carnivore pellets - problem here is the floating ones very quickly end up in the filter.

I was thinking maybe carnivore in morning and herbivore at night?  And they will get used to when to eat what's best for them?

The pellets are different colours... not sure the fish notice given how quickly they demolish them.

Maybe carnivore pellets and spirulina flake?

Or just put equal amounts of each type of pellets and let it take it's course?

Has anyone got a routine or theory which tries to target the right food to the right fishes?

Tony

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:32 AM

Which type are the more active feeders? Usually carnivores are a bit more bullish. Feed them first at the same end of the tank everyday.
While the pigs are eating, move down the tank and add the sinking herbifood.

To me, feeding time is the best example of why mixed species tanks are over rated to keep.

#3 Tonster76

Tonster76
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

Thanks a lot MM, I'm starting to try that method.  It's a bit of a mixed bad, a couple of slightly aggressive herbivores in there don't like to miss out being first to eat...  Metriaclimas 'kingsizei' and 'elongatus chewer'.

The Red Empress (herbivore) is one of the few that will actually nibble at food which reaches the bottom.

In general no-one really eats much that hits the bottom except the bristlenoses.

So i've been attracting them all up one end... and if I drop the herbifood down the other end... hits the bottom and urggh

I'll keep trying ;>

Edited by Tonster76, 18 May 2015 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users