Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Why Have Nitrate And Nitrite Levels Spiked?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

yeah, we should wait for clarification from the D.....
a tad confusing..... lol

Edited by Mr_docfish, 25 January 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#42 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (simmoman @ Jan 22 2012, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your natrite and ammonia are zero then you are in front. Natrates are made out to a big nasty by some but it's not a big deal as it may seem.
80ppm is not a problem or even 100 or 120.

obviously havent kept and bred any plecos then???..... 80ppm is what i'd call the absolute cut off line for "healthy fish" high nitrates lower a fishes ability to fight off pathogens in the water... makes them more vulnerable to disease and bacterial infections....

i keep everything below 40ppm and its been a very long time since i had any problems with any fish.... only had whitespot once ever in the last 10 years... cause of a bad introduction without quarantining...

i have some fry that wont eat if nitrates are over 40ppm... quick waterchange and half hour later they are eating again....

but some fish are more hardy than others... some fish will even become used to very high nitrates over time and then if they go into a tank with no/little nitrate they will actually suffer and may die!

#43 THE D

THE D
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

Well thanks for all the input.

As for feeding i only feed the fish every second day and its only a small pinch of Aquotix growth and colour formula.
I have been doing 20% water changes for the last 2 weeks to try and get on top of things.

#44 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

I think it would be best to go into the shop you mentioned and talk to Mr docfish or one of the knowing staff.
Things don't seem to add up, unless Mr docfish has hit the nail on the head, and if he is wright you must properly understand the problem and correct it if you want to maintain a permanent balance

#45 THE D

THE D
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:49 AM

I did a 20% water change last night as per instructions to do it every 2nd day.

I tested my water this morning......my Nitrite is still over 5ppm and now my Nitrate is starting to get about 80-160ppm.
My pH is 8.4 and my Ammonia is 0.0ppm

doesnt matter how little i feed my fish or how often im doing these water changes i still cant get the Nitrite down.
Could i be getting false readings from my test kit?
I also think my problem is having too many cat fish.....all they do is eat and poo, then poo some more.!

Do you think i would be able to do a proper tank clean, clean gravel, filter and do a larger water change or would this upset what ever good bacteria is struggerling to grow?

#46 simmoman

simmoman
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

In response to incorrect reading, definately. Older test kits I have found can be wrong. Compare with testing from LFS

#47 THE D

THE D
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

Well i did a bit of work yesterday on the tank.
I bought a second Air pump, replaced a broken diaphram in the original air pump, fitted a 160cm long Air curtain, 50% water change, cleaned the filter and cleaned all the gravel.

I went into to my LFS and got rid of 4x BN and my silver shark, bought a couple of more cichlids. Woke this morning and did a water test

BAM!!!!

pH 8.2.....Ammonia 0ppm......Nitrite 0ppm.......Nitrate 10ppm!!!!

Happy Days, Thanks all for the patience and support!

Edited by THE D, 29 January 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#48 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

Good stuff, sometimes when balance is upset in the aquarium, all that is required is time and patience.
Mother nature is for free, so let it work for you, don't work against it because of impatience.
Understanding does take time, no matter how experienced there is always something new to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users