Photo

Another Peppermint Dead :(

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Type of fish: Peppermint Bristlenose, I've had him for at least a month and he was about 3.5cm
Symptoms: None, he was fine when I went to work this morning
Other tank mates: 1 male betta, 2 common BN's who are about 6cm
Tank size / capacity: 20L
Type of Food fed: Hikari Algae Wafers, zucchini
Feeding frequency/amount: Once a day, alternate between zucchini and algae wafer
Substrate: Gravel.. that's all I know
Type of filtration: It's a BluePlanet aquarium, has a filter on top with sponge, ceramic rings and bio balls.
Frequency of filter cleans: Every couple of weeks
Frequency and % volume of water changes: Weekly, 25%
Last water change: Yesterday
PH: 7.6
KH: Not Tested
GH: Not Tested
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: Not Tested
Water temp: 27C
Medications used recently to date: None
Any recent changes..new fish/filters/power outages etc etc: I added API Tap Water Conditioner for the first time yesterday and followed dosage instructions.

I came home to find my little Peppermint called Pikachu floating at the top with a huge belly. This is the second pepp to die in this tank, and I've been told it's just because they're so small and they're more susceptible to infections, but I feel like it's something I've done sad.gif Like I said above, I used Tap Water Conditioner for the first time yesterday but surely that wouldn't kill him? I want some more pepps for my 4ft tank but I don't want to kill any more..

I appreciate any advice or suggestions smile.gif Thanks

Edited by Sarahhhhh, 19 January 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm no expert but looks bloated to me. Might want to retest your water as Nitrate are almost never 0. Be sure to give the solution a big shake first.
Cheers.

#3 simmoman

simmoman
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

forgive my ignorance but you said

I used Tap Water Conditioner for the first time yesterday.

Can you explain. Does that mean you didn't before and used tap water without any conditioner or that you used a different brand.

#4 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Oh sorry I've used Stress Coat in that tank up until yesterday.

#5 simmoman

simmoman
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

My peppies never get to eat wafers (too much compition) and they're doing fine. I have read that too much algae wafers is not good and that it can cause bloat.

Wafers are normally a treat and not part of there normal diet, say once a week.

The experts on the forum will know, but that's one thing to consider

#6 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

Peppies normally prefer to eat after hours (at lights out) so they are prone to eating left overs - now if thee are any left over foods that have gone off in the tank (bits of wafers, frozen meat mixes etc) then this is an issue for them and other L numbers (except tough ones like BN and Plecos). Make sure there are no left overs - they will find plenty of slime and algae, or you can drop in a small wafer or similar after turning the lights off if you think they are going skinny - best food for them is veggies.

#7 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

They like some wood in their diet also.

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

20 litres is quite small aquarium so i'd be more inclined to do 50% water changes... but refill 25% then wait half hour or so then add last 25% water... i suspect your nitrates to be higher than your test indicated... peppermints only really tend to succumb to bloat when water conditions arent spot on.... they will eat decomposed food etc without too many dramas as long as water paramters are good...

i'd be happy to see ammonia - 0 ...... nitrite - 0 ..... nitrates between 5-40ppm.....

one other thing that can upset peppermints more so than common b/n is a ph shock.... big change in ph for example if your ph was 6.0 and you did a 50% water change in one hit and its ph was 8.0 you'd expect your water to now have a ph of approx 7.0 which is a big change...

but after seeing your picture i dont think this was the cause`...

if your happy to travel and bring some water with you - you can retest your water here and i'll give you a couple 3cm pepps... smile.gif and some free advice.... smile.gif

#9 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:53 AM

Bowdy, I retested my water twice, and still got zero and I used one of the test strips too (I know no one likes them but I have them so I thought I might as well use it) and that showed zero too. I need to buy some plants over the weekend so I'll get some water tested too.

Oliver, I vacuumed my gravel the day before he died so maybe that brought up something bad that he ate?? sad.gif

Sand, forgot to mention they have some driftwood in there to chomp on tongue.gif

Johnno, I'll get my water checked when I buy some plants over the weekend. My ph is always 7.6 straight from the tap, and my tank water stays the same even with wood, so I hope it wasn't PH shock sad.gif

#10 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

If your nitrates are 0, then you have up set the nitrifying bacteria some how, over cleaning may be and the tank is recycling. cheers Steve

#11 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

I noticed that after a few hours the water in the nitrate tube turned from yellow to orange, does that mean anything if it changes after that long? I'll get it tested after work so we'll know what my readings definitely are smile.gif

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

yeah as you've pointed out Saraaaaaaahhhhhhhh it's prob best to get your LFS to test the water

#13 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Sarahhhhh @ Jan 20 2012, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed that after a few hours the water in the nitrate tube turned from yellow to orange, does that mean anything if it changes after that long? I'll get it tested after work so we'll know what my readings definitely are smile.gif

If it took this long to change, you either didn't follow the directions or the kit is outa date. It should change colour as your doing it and be complete after 5 minutes .cheers Steve

#14 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

pretty sure if you leave it in there long enough it voids the test. give it 5/10 mins , whatever it says on the test.... and that should be the results.. get you LFS to test the water in doubt.

#15 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yeah I read that if you leave it for too long, it gives false-high readings :S

I followed some instructions that I found on the internet, saying to smack the #2 bottle around a bit as some of it can solidify and it doesn't break up even from shaking, and I'm now getting a reading of 5ppm. I'll definitely be getting it tested though, what's the best way to store water to take it to be tested?

#16 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

Get a nice clean container like a water bottle and you'll be fine smile.gif go n see big Johnno sounds like n offer too good to refuse!! smile.gif

#17 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

When i was cycling my last tank, i took a taco sauce jar full of tank water to get it tested.
I friggin love tacos!
So did you manage to get water tested at a store yet?

#18 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (sandgroper @ Jan 20 2012, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your nitrates are 0, then you have up set the nitrifying bacteria some how, over cleaning may be and the tank is recycling. cheers Steve

assuming a de-nitrator isnt being used steve ??? or she doesnt do daily water changes.... not always a sign of nitrification process breaking down... wink.gif

#19 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Sarahhhhh @ Jan 21 2012, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what's the best way to store water to take it to be tested?

I use an empty "pump" water bottle. I'm pretty sure they come in kiddy sizes too if you wanted something smaller, not sure where I've seen the smaller ones though.

#20 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

I got my water tested today and the guy said everything looks great, so I guess poor Pikachu had an illness or something sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users