Photo

Where In Perth To Buy Ammonia?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grumpysmurf

Grumpysmurf
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

My tank will still be a good month or 2 away. I am getting 2X Eheim 2080 and 2X Hydor 300w heater in advance and will want to start fishless cycling the filters soon. My thought is to hook these up to a large esky (!) and start the cycling this way in the garage - may even add some sand substrate too.

I assume there is no forseeable problem there?

Question is, where exactly in Perth can I find some suitable ammonia? I beleive it may be called White Ammonia? I could not find in Bunnings (Innaloo).

#2 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Doubt you will get any easily in raw form.

#3 shortie

shortie
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

maybe set up eskys but have a goldfish in each.
at the moment i have bio balls in a bucket with an airstone running, preping them for my new sump

#4 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

Aquotix have Ammonium Chloride for this purpose. Let us know what volume of water you have to treat, and we will measure out the required amount for you.
(call first before you come in, so we have time to do this, saves you having to wait)
I am in on Saturday from 10-5 if you wish to ask more questions about it, or you can PM me.

Oliver

#5 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (Grumpysmurf @ Jun 19 2008, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question is, where exactly in Perth can I find some suitable ammonia? I beleive it may be called White Ammonia? I could not find in Bunnings (Innaloo).

I think that you are referring to "cloudy ammonia", which is available from the cleaning material section in supermarkets: but don't be tempted to try using this product in aquariums. It's just TOO toxic. Oliver's suggestion to use ammonium chloride is the way to go, and he can assist with information on concentration/quantity, which is critical.

Syd.

#6 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

I have heard of people urinating in tanks to speed up the process.
I wouldnt recommend it, but just what I have heard.

Stick with the shop bought stuff!

Otherwise I use about 20 neon tetras for 2 weeks, then start introducing my fish.
That way you have something swimming in there and you dont care if it dies, and you have some real entertainment when the big fish get in!!!

Andrew

#7 Grumpysmurf

Grumpysmurf
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

I would prefer to do fishless for the following reasons;
1. Less cruelty
2. I may well be going for 2 large colonies of Tropheus, so will need the filter to be able to handle the bio-load from day one
3. I have never done it before, so worth learning

Oliver, I will get in touch with you about that Ammonia. Unless someone can confirm that urine idea!! LOL!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (werdna @ Jun 24 2008, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard of people urinating in tanks to speed up the process.
I wouldnt recommend it, but just what I have heard.

Stick with the shop bought stuff!

Otherwise I use about 20 neon tetras for 2 weeks, then start introducing my fish.
That way you have something swimming in there and you dont care if it dies, and you have some real entertainment when the big fish get in!!!

Andrew

#8 viid

viid
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

urine is nitrogen heavy but i dont know about ammonia... makes great fertiliser for plants thought and its all i used to win our suburbs roses contest some time back hehehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users