Photo

Astro Cannister Help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cam85

Cam85
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

noticed my astro stopped working so thought it was time to clean it. now that i have cleaned it and put it all back together it will not work it wont suck or blow haha. any help would be great.

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

plug it in

#3 Cam85

Cam85
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

haha very good jason im not blonde lol

#4 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

You don't say? :P

#5 Cam85

Cam85
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

oh and btw it was already plugged it just not creating a siphon

#6 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

Is there an impeller in the filter?

#7 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Take the head off the canister, without the hoses on... And place the head in a shallow basin of water (laundry sink) and plug it in (dont worry, the motor is completely sealed so no risk of shock....

Bets on, the head will flow fine..... If not, bring it into Aquotix so we can check it. We have not had a single failure, so there would be an explanation - like a ceramic noodle in the impeller well cover.....

So when you notice that the head flows fine, check the media baskets, that they are in the right orientation.
Check the media placement - if you go onto the Aquotix website you will find some helpful info - if you cant find it, PM me and Ill send you the link.

If you still cant find the problem, email me on Oliver@aquotix.com.au and Ill work it through with you....

#8 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

My guess is there's air caught somewhere. Open and drain all water out of the return hose. Uscrew the inlet tap and crack open the tap to ensure there's still water in the line (you may have an air pocket). Reconnect hoses and open taps to allow the siphon to start (leave the return pipe above the water. Once she's stopped filling, plug back in and hopefully enjoy flow rate.

Or you have the filter pad in the top chamber and it's getting sucked up onto the impeller cover.

#9 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Did you remember to turn the power point on? :P

#10 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

i have to suck on the water in pipe and create a syphon into a bucket then shut the tap, re connect open the water out pipe, re open the water in pipe, let the cannister fill from the tank then when its sat for a minute of two and seems full i start it up

have you checked the water flow through the pipes as my filter (Edit:Astro) suffers badly from algae in the pipes needs cleaning like once every week with a hose, but i have constantly forgot to get a long brush thing from aquotix for the past 6 months and just disconnect the hoses and blast the hoses out with the garden hose outside

Edited by Sir_Anubias, 23 February 2014 - 09:11 PM.

#11 Cam85

Cam85
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

i tried all that. when i connected it all back up and plugged it in i could hear it working but it wasnt sucking any water through the hose and wasnt blowing any out. i managed to get it working now but for the life of me dont know how lol.

#12 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

after any cannister cleaning... always refill with tank water to the brim then clip the head down and you get a bit of overflow happening... i find this fills it best... and make sure both hoses are full of water... screw them on - turn power on then open in hose tap then out hose tap and it always starts up for me :)  good idea to clean inside of the hoses too regularly... i use a small green scouring pad rolled up into a cigar shape and shoved into hose at one end and then push it through with tap water pressure... sometimes do it twice for a sparkly clean... 

#13 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

I use a powerhead to fill mine. Just pump up the input hose till all air is out of the line then switch on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users