Photo

any1 using fx5?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 teck

teck
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

hey just wondering is there any1 that has a fx5 set up that i can come and have a look at coz i had 1 b4 but sold it thinking i couldnt get it fitted to my tank so now im tempted to buy another 1 to try and fit it in my 8x2

#2 Adzz

Adzz
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

hey mate

midland have 1 running on a sw tank

#3 teck

teck
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

is that rite i was there yesterday and didnt c it biggrin.gif

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:10 PM

You shouldve said Teck.
We have it running on our 5ft SW.
But it's under the cabinet. The fish room was a bit a mess yesterday :oops:
All good now though.

Cheers
Aaron

#5 teck

teck
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:06 PM

yah cheers aaron mayb i drop down next wk and have a look

#6 Adzz

Adzz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

yer sorry forgot to say it was in there cabinet

#7 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:04 PM

Adzz & Teck or anyone coming instore,

Let yourself be known, Great to put faces to names.
Im the big fella in the camo pants & King Gee shirt and Terry is the fella with the glasses on.

Anyhooo... Back on track.

One of the staff bought one of the FX5's the other day for his 6ft tank, He said it's awesome, Best filter he's used so far.
Easy to set-up, Also it comes with a user dvd & 3yr warranty.

Cheers
Az

#8 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

whats the actual lph of it ? as there is alot of difrent lph ratings out there

cheers shane

#9 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

3500lph. I believe...
Can double check tomorrow..

#10 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

that would be good as the one i used to have (sold a while ago) in the book it said it was 1500 lph but the book also give difrent lph for difrent parts of the filter and some poeple say they are 3500 lph and the websites say they are 2300 lph ? i have asked on other posts and have comment befor on the confusingn lph rates ? as im in the market for another large canister filter i would like to take my 8x3x2 from 7+k an hour to 10 k an hour turn over with out using internals

cheers shane

#11 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

The flow rate coming out of the oulet is awesome.
I think I read on the box that it will do up to 15000LPH.. 8O But will let you know tmrw night..

#12 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

I find that with a lot of cannisters the lph is overstated most of the time. If you actually have the cannister already and want to find out the true waterflow, just time how long it takes to fill a 1L jug, or bigger container for bigger/faster filters. Then just convert it to 1h rate.

So if the filter takes 2 seconds to fill 1L, that's 30L per minute, or 1800L per hour.

#13 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

but they also say the small fulva will do 600 litre tank but im not sure how they work that out if the canister has a turn over of 400 lph thats less then one times an hour ( 0 . 8 ) very said imo when you should be atlest be around 5 times and hour, i aim for 10 aprox on my smaller tanks if not more but i will admit my 8 footer is only around 7.5 aprox an hour so ive bump up the uv and only have a very small bio load on the tank and im planning of adding another large canister. i think if you read whats on the box then devide it by 3 imo your closer to the mark :wink:

#14 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:14 PM

Aquarium capacity: 1500 litres
Pump output: 3500 lph
Mechanical area (foam): 210,000mm2
Biological volume: 5.9 litres
Filtration volume: 20 litres
Filter circulation: 2300 lph
Head height (max): 3.3m
Wattage: 48 watts
For fresh or saltwater use
Media included: Filter sponge only
Includes easy setup DVD
3 year warranty

The only bad thing about them, They dont come with media, Only foam. Thats a bit of a let down IMO.

#15 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:15 PM

(Cawdor)
I find that with a lot of cannisters the lph is overstated most of the time. If you actually have the cannister already and want to find out the true waterflow, just time how long it takes to fill a 1L jug, or bigger container for bigger/faster filters. Then just convert it to 1h rate.

So if the filter takes 2 seconds to fill 1L, that's 30L per minute, or 1800L per hour.

ive done that will a few difrent brands of canisters some are fairly close to there stated lph untill you add media or more media and then piping and raise them to tank hight so if a canister is 2400 lph on the box its around 2400 at the top of the canister is you add one meter of lift you loose 50 % flow imo.

so the 3 2400 lph canisters i have with the head hight of 6 inches with air injetion into the pipe work to help with water lift (take some of the strain on the canister) and hidding airlines with the water presure and syphon afect trying to easy the suction needed to drawn the water in top the canister they are working realy close to there stated lph that was on the box 2400 considering theres extra media as well witch slows them down a bit and ive added longer plastic tubes to push the water closer to the bottom of the canister to make sure no dirty water is bypasing any of the 4 meadia draws but i think with out the air lift the would have slowed down a fair bit.

well i hope that makes sence as i spent a long time working and think of this on the new but ive never been one for words

#16 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

(Aquatic Dreams)
Aquarium capacity: 1500 litres
Pump output: 3500 lph
Mechanical area (foam): 210,000mm2
Biological volume: 5.9 litres
Filtration volume: 20 litres
Filter circulation: 2300 lph
Head height (max): 3.3m
Wattage: 48 watts
For fresh or saltwater use
Media included: Filter sponge only
Includes easy setup DVD
3 year warranty

The only bad thing about them, They dont come with media, Only foam. Thats a bit of a let down IMO.

mine came a bit sort of thoes figgers :cry:

i sold mine cause the pump motor and impaller is on the bottom of the canister so if you use them with fine crushed coral, lime sand, pool sand river sand beach sand they will not last long at all and you will have a hard time getting warenty and finding replacements

they are a nice filter just have do do some reasurch befor you buy them or if you think you will being using or might use sand or any fine substrate in the furture buy a difrent filter i ended up going back to aqua one 2400 and the pump motor and impellar is on the top and fine substraight dont botther them and they came with media i know them and have used them for ages with no dramer and they are alot cheaper even though online these days are offering the fx 5 and they are getting cheaper and some websies are offering them with media even if its very basic

#17 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

We paid $400 for our Fx5, including media and postage from over east.

Ours came with a 6year guarantee.... laugh.gif

#18 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:35 AM

they where 320 a little while ago with media and an extened warrenty are you using your with fine substraight ?

#19 teck

teck
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

320 with media? thats a bargin where that from

#20 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

personaly i wouldnt bother but pm sent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users