Photo

My concerns about some advice

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

I hope nobody is going to be offended by what I am about to say here.
There have been a number of posts recently where respondents have made statements that are , from a scientific viewpoint (chemistry and/or physics ) pure unadulterated nonsense.

It is one thing to offer an opinion: another altogether to make a blanket statement purporting to be fact on a topic when the respondent clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about.
There is potential for considerable harm in such practices, particularly when those seeking help/advice are as lacking in knowledge as the respondents, who offer the advice almost certainly with the best of intentions. (I repeat here the old saying that the way to hell is paved with good intentions ).

Perhaps the way to overcome some aspects of the problem is for respondents to explain their qualifications and/or experience pertaining to a topic when responding. I realise that this could become a tad tedious, and maybe such information should be part of the profile appearing in the descriptor.

Certainly, a little honesty would not be astray, and could be applied simply by the use of "in my opinion", used more frequently, together with the avoidance of providing information without due and true knowledge: the only problem here is that some obviously don't recognise their own ignorance on some topics.

Perhaps some other views would be of value.

Syd.

#2 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

any examples of
pure unadulterated nonsense.
:?: :?: :?:

#3 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

There are more than enough from the last month. Have a look.

But that is some of the problem that Syd is talking about. If you don't know it is incorrect then you take the information at face value.

I certainly don't know how to solve the issue but it is something to consider when recieving advice.

Adam

#4 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

i would tend to agree with the experience in the descriptor comment.
I'm an electrician by trade and i'd hate to see someone follow the advice of someone who really has no idea what their talking about when experience and knowledge from a post i may of posted or anyone else in my field is of more use and of safer practice.

Chris

#5 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

if someone posts incorrect information then set them straight or tell them? If i say stuff thats unclear or totally wrong... and someone put me in place then it would only make me wiser than i was.

#6 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

if someone posts incorrect information then set them straight or tell them?

that was my point from the above post. It is all good saying that some people don't know what they are talking about...but no matter how strong you say it, eg pure unadulterated nonsense, it won't get the message across..because those people don't know its addressed to them because they think they DO know what they are on about!!!

get what i mean??

i think a simple and nicely written reply to someone's post will not only rectify the wrong advice but it would also go a long way in educating the ignorant poster....everyone wins biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#7 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

but if you got 10 people saying the same thing and one person sticking to their guns obviously they would start thinking twice about what they know.

#8 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

not sure exactly what you mean Blakey...

I was agreeing with your post.

#9 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

it's hard appreciate the first post without an example of poor or misled adivce. or Ado, can you give an exmaple to help Blakey and or others understand what your trying to say also? saves confusion

#10 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

it won't get the message across

what im trying to say is if people agree in numbers... it gets the point across...

#11 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

Sure thing.

Blakey said
if someone posts incorrect information then set them straight or tell them? If i say stuff thats unclear or totally wrong... and someone put me in place then it would only make me wiser than i was

and I totally agree.

I understand sydad's concern, but the point I was trying to make was that by making a post like that without examples, or by not telling people straight away in the relevant discussion, no one benefits.

Certainly not trying to get into an argument with anyone...but if I post some bad advice I'd like someone to raise the issue with me straight away so I can learn and be a better fishkeeper/person etc.

Hope that clears up my point.

#12 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

agree totally with what your saying Ado. couldn't agree more.

#13 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

if someone is giving advice that is incorrect, send them a pm and fully explain why and where they are wrong in their advice. Dont make them look like an idiot infront of the others. Ask them to edit their own post, so that way we wont have arguments on the forum. Sure there will be times when several people dissagree with whatever, but do some homework and find out the answer with proof. Put up some links to (or quotes from) sites that explain it better.

#14 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:05 PM

Most people learn by making mistakes or by having their understandings challenged and reconstructed (I am an expert in how people learn, so don't worry)

I am sure that all people give advice in good faith and in another post somewhere I have talked about "common sense" in that there are many "shared understandings" in our culture, some of them are absolutely baseless. Some things work for people often because they don't do any harm, but they don't do any good either.

The bottom line is, that the only constant is change. There is no absolute truth and no-one has a monopoly on knowledge. Once you think you know something, you are probably on the verge of having what you know, reconstructed biggrin.gif

Isn't that why we have these forums because we are a community of learners? I daresay also in sydads case, we have a community of teachers. smile.gif The perfect arrangement if it is constructive

Regards,

Donna

#15 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

If someone corrects your post I don't think its belittling them, its just helping them, the structure and wording of posts go a long way. What can you do though if someone posts up incorrect advice and someone takes it before someone can correct it?

#16 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

That's true Kimbo. It could be too late.

When I have been really silly, people usually respond with some evidence they have found, or give some rational reason as to why I shouldn't go down particular path. I find that works for me.

Donna

#17 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

i dont have a problem with people correcting me (or others) on the open forum. BUT, only if it is constructive critisism, and they have the knowledge and/or experience and/or info to back up their statement. A forum is there to discuss things.
(just wanted to add that before someone thinks that i think otherwise...)

#18 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

but how do you correct someone if they thin they are correct anyway?... you need a few people to have an input.... so that certain points can be obviously highlighted

#19 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:59 PM

(Jezza)
if someone is giving advice that is incorrect, send them a pm and fully explain why and where they are wrong in their advice. Dont make them look like an idiot infront of the others. Ask them to edit their own post, so that way we wont have arguments on the forum. Sure there will be times when several people dissagree with whatever, but do some homework and find out the answer with proof. Put up some links to (or quotes from) sites that explain it better.

This is a good post, and to let those know, Sydad has pulled me up on more than a few occasions where I have given the wrong info in terms of chemistry...of which he wins hands down!! I too sometimes get a bit 'Ticked Off' with the odd thread or post, and lately I have just resigned myself to ignoring it....I do not wish to get into an argument with some that do not understand a few basic concepts.....I have found it easier to carry on with more interesting or useful posts and also ignore posts that have been up before and can be accessed by clicking the search icon above.
my 2 cents

Oliver

#20 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

well i have been in the hobby only 10 years so you gurus feel free to pull me up and slap me round.. im only a 21 yr old kid. Plus i like a good spanking.... yell at me set me straight.. im all for learning and education

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users