Photo

Soap In Tank Need Help

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Misses placed her hands in my tank after doing the dishes without realizing she would still have soap on her hands now tank has a few soap bubbles and an oily kinda look when viewing from above no fish are in this tank as it's currently cycling 

What should I do?
Should I do a 100% water change?
Anything else? 

Took forever to fill the dam thing lol smile.gif

#2 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

use paper towel to suck the stuff off the surface of the water and put some carbon in your filter.

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:43 PM

and kick ya missus up da bum!!!! silly girl!!!!

#4 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Been doing daily 50-80%water changes running a crap load of carbon which I change weekly tried the paper towels seemed to work ok ran my hands through my substrate Today and hundreds of bubbles came up and now all the surface is covered in soap again so frustrating Very oily looking

Tanks now running an FX5 substrate is pool filter sand 2cm deep anything else I can try?

#5 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

Running your hands thru the substrate can release trapped ammonia gas and detritus matter which would explain the problems you have now.
She cant have had that much soap on her hands.

#6 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

There is no ammonia tank hasn't started to cycle and substrate is only 2cm deep at most i truly am confused only other thing I can think of is that the store I got to built my tank used unsafe glue or something

this is what it looks like now

Edited by Serenity, 04 May 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#7 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

Then you probably released trapped air into the water.

What is the substrate? If it is the $5 white sand that can leave a soapy residue if not washed properly.

#8 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

pool filter sand washed for 3 hours water ran clean so added to tank could be that though smile.gif thing is i use this substrate in other tanks and none have this problem

#9 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

Washed for 3 hours gees good to see your conserving water.

#10 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

i live in tassie now mate no water restrictions lol

#11 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

Sorry I didn't realise no restrictions means people should waste as much as they like. I know in our hobby we can use a lot of water but that doesn't mean we should be taking it for granted. Water is our most precious commodity we would all be stuffed without it including your friends in that tank.

#12 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

would of helped to mention that they are rain water tanks mate hardly call that wasting water smile.gif so please stop having a go im only after help mate

Edited by Serenity, 04 May 2011 - 01:25 PM.

#13 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

I'm not directing it at you but once that rain water runns out then what water will you use? Mains ? See it still effects more then you in the end. But good to see you collect rain water.
I have had my spit.
Good luck and I hope you get your tank sorted.
Cheers.

#14 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

It rains almost everyday here so always plenty of water but I no about water saving lived in wa for many
Many years if we didn't have these rain water tanks I'd defiantly be more careful to my water consumption smile.gif

#15 SIXFOOTLONG

SIXFOOTLONG
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

what filtration/ media etc? did you or they clean the tank beforehand? call and ask - was at a tank builder or just some bloke thats handy with glass and keeps it clean with windex?(please no one clean there tank with windex)

#16 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:32 AM

Tell your misses that she stuff this tank up so you now have to go and by a new bigger tank. Might as well take advantage of the situation cheers steve.

#17 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

What size is your tank?

I wouldn't have thought soapy hands would have had any impact :S wouldn't have been that soapy if she washing the dishes.. And the first thing I do is wipe my hands on a tea towel after, not stick them in the fish tank... Suspicious...

Sure she didn't just tip the whole bottle of detergent into the tank? Are you giving your fish more loving than her? wink.gif

#18 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

filter is a fluval FX5 only media is carbon the tank is 410Litres rinsed the tank before setup

just an update the tank water smells like Sulfur really strong not the egg kind of smell u sometimes get with new tank syndrome my substrate is just pool filter sand (silica sand) might just remove it and replace it with a different substrate

#19 choombies

choombies
  • Banned

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

Carbon is your only filter media??
I dont think thats a good idea...

#20 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

lol imagine the cost of the carbon changes.. ohmy.gif
you need, sponge, and bio media like ceramic noodles and bio-balls .. just carbons not gonna do that much apart from take away signs that something in your tanks not right eg. smell, discoloration etc, i never use the stuff.

cheers,
Tom smile.gif

Edited by the pulpican man, 05 May 2011 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users