Photo

Soap In Tank Need Help

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Serenity

Serenity
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have sponges also think there called water polishing pads smile.gif water is very cloudy though lol didn't wanna add noodles incase they got all soapy but will do smile.gif

#22 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

Awesome, they just sound like fine filter wool pads, i find them a pain if you don't have course sponge in the compartment before them, they get clogged to easy! tongue.gif i guess i'm just lazy with the cleaning, especially in a filter as powerful as a FX5 that'd pickup almost anything haha! i actually remember having this oily layer on lots of my tanks.. even atm on top of the tank outside half the tank has it.. chuck a couple of airstones in there, or direct the filter outlet to the surface to disturb it, i think its from trapped air in the substrate along with very fine particles, you get a similar thing when ammonia pockets are released.. i have silica sand in my 5 footer i think i had a similar problem and it cleared right up! biggrin.gif anyways see how you go with the disturbance of the surface! smile.gif

As for the smell, you'd expect a funky smell when your cycling from the ammonia spike, have you got test kits to monitor it?
If so what are the test results for your ammonia and nitrites?

Just as well, the soap issue, i don't think it'd be much of an issue.. unless you missus decided to pump the soap in there! tongue.gif
Hell, i've had mates spill coffee in their tanks and just do a 75% water change and the problem was solved.. wink.gif

Good luck mate! smile.gif
Tom.

Edited by the pulpican man, 05 May 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#23 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

If the water is cloudy with lots of fine suspended particles, I think you might have stir up craps trapped in the sand... As the tank cycles, the build-up of the bioslime will help stick fine particles and reduce the amount of suspended particles... Another thing I found to work with fine suspended particles is egg whites. It is a flocculant and also non-toxic...

#24 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

Mate it sounds like you need to empty the lot give it ALL a good soaking rinsing and cleaning including your filter and start again..... If your tank is running smoothly you shouldn't need carbon at all, invest in some good quality filter sponge, ceramic noodles, and bio balls and see how you go... If you still have the same problem maybe look at where the water your filling your tank with is coming from, I have a "fish only" hose so I'm not going to get any contamination from the garden hose (however unlikely)... The last thing you need is some cover glass to stop her putting her hands in!!!!! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users