Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Has Anyone Used Sicce Canister Filters Before Are They Good???

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Hey guys I was looking at these Sicce canister filters from Vebas and thinking to maybe get one but first I want to know what your guys experiences with them is. Thanks

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

I've been running 1 for about 12 months, no dramas so far. Is pretty quiet, good flow and a few extra options that u don't see with other brands.

#3 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Oh ok that's good what model do you have??

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Whale 500 I'm pretty sure.

#5 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

I have heard mixed reports about this brand sadly more negative then good. Mostly to do with the motor packing in.

#6 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I would be interested in seeing where you here these reports Bowdy, as we have had less than 0.2% return rate on thousands of Sicce products (most of which have been determined by the technicians to be running dry or lack of maintenance anyway) and zero motor faults on the Whale canister filters from hundreds of units sold. Given that the products carry a 3-5 year warranty I would assume that if the motors were packing in like you imply I would be seeing more than this...

Cheers

Pacco

#7 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hi Pacco, how do you rate them against Ehiem?

Would be interested to hear.

Also any specials on those Jager heaters?

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

I have heard mixed reports about this brand sadly more negative then good. Mostly to do with the motor packing in.

That's a big statement to make. Anyone on this forum had problems with them Bowdy?
I know of three people that have them and haven't missed a beat.

I have a Sicce wave maker for about 2 years now and think its good. Not a canister I know so I couldn't comment on that.

#9 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

Just had a quick look at them then.   The self primimng part on the intake is pretty neat and the plastic that holds the inlet bend in place is cool too.

Wonder if they sell them here?

#10 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

In regards to Bowdy's comment:

Fact 1: All Sicce Whale canisters in Australia are currently under warranty (first imported in 2012 with a 3 year warranty)

Fact 2: There are two companies that have imported them, ourselves and another in Melbourne

Fact 3: Neither of us have had a single warranty return on the Whale canister filters

Given these facts, I can only assume that Bowdy:

a ) Knows multiple people that have had the only Whale filters in Australia to develop a fault, and have all decided not to get them replaced under warranty for some reason

b ) Is lying

c ) Is regurgitating lies that other people/perhaps shops have told him

Draw your own conclusions, I know I have ;)

Cheers

Pacco

#11 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

It's amazing how everyone KNOWS SOMEONE, who has had a problem with a product, but never has any evidence,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Found a nice unbiased review online, seems to have the same occasional issues as most filters from his updates. 

http://www.aquariums...lter-review-r84

How does the priming system hold up can anyone tell me?

#13 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hehehehe Pacco feeling a little vulnerable there. Hey I talk to a lot of people and not just from Australia and this is the feedback I get when thinking about buying one for myself. Due to this I chose not to you don't like it to bad. I'm happy with what I purchased instead.

Peace out :)

#14 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

I talk to people overseas as well Bowdy, including the UK diustributor for Sicce (who is the international sales rep for Juwel and was in Australia last week) - also no issues there...

I don't feel vulnerable as I am selling a high quality product at a reasonable price... what I feel is annoyed when people (still with no backing behind their words) bad mouth products that I sell...

Cheers

Pacco

#15 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

The fact that this clown is still on the forum is staggering!!

Bowdy talking to your imaginary friends is not proof or evidence to back up your words mate..

We need a filter so we don't have to read certain peoples dribble..
I will buy you a roll of toilet paper mate. :)

Edited by ant86, 13 April 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#16 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

can you post products Pacco? ide be interested in one of these in the near future...

#17 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

Yeah, we can post. Just send us a PM or email when you are ready

Cheers

Pacco

#18 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

just something i wanted to bring up... over the last 5-6 months ive known atleast 6 people who have had eheims crap themselves and flood there house or fish rooms.... havent heard anything butgreat things about these sicce canisters so thats why im going to be trying these instead...

#19 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

The brand is only half the story, the other half is how they are maintained. It seems to me a lot of people think that they buy a canister and plug it in and it will work for the next 100 years perfectly without requiring maintenance. And by maintenance I don't mean cleaning it out. I mean checking and lubricating the o-rings, hoses and connections.

I would like to know how exactly those Eheims "crapped themselves". How old they were. When was the last time the o-rings were checked. Because if the motor fails, the filter will not leak. It will only leak if there is a crack in the wall or an o-ring is compromised.

Eheim also has just a little more market share than any other brand I imagine, so more people have them and since people don't tend to maintain them properly, you will hear more stories about them.

In the end, it doesn't matter what the brand is that much - if you maintain a canister properly, it will last. The build quality and material used may differ though, so el-cheapo nasties plastic may crack more easily when you swap hoses for example.

#20 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Well said! I've 2 cheap Asian canister filters that l can't even say the name, lve had them running 4-5 years now and they've
Never failed me, obliviously they arnt the best filters but quick check over every filter clean, still pumping on.

I also run 2 ehiems on my 6 footer for few years now and no dramas at all.

Edited by ant86, 17 April 2014 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users