Photo

Diy Dechlorinator?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Well thats what itll be if sodium sulfide is in it and is exposed to air. It doesn't take much H2S to be fatal but you can smell it in much smaller concentrations.

I doubt it is H2S though or all of our fish would be very dead :)

#22 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

Seachem Safe. It is powdered version of Prime, but an order of magnitude more concentrated. I understand it is also stable sitting on the shelf - provided you keep water away. Just gotta watch dose rates, though half a brain and you are OK,

Is this a "cost thing"? If so, you may be able to find efficiencies elsewhere. Though it sounds more like 'I have some spare gear lying around, can I use it for anything?" type deal.

yeh its "i have lots of junk i paid at some stage and might as well keep using" thing. chopped the cord off one cannister filter, connected to a cheap bunnings  submersible pump and its now floating in my trickle down water fall fish pond as sludge catcher, works well :)

cheers for all the posts

#23 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

0.02 ppm H2S is reported to be the safe limit for fish in natural habitats (EPA, 1976)

0.0047 ppm is the recognition threshold, the concentration at which 50% of humans can detect the characteristic odor of hydrogen sulfide, normally described as resembling "a rotten egg". (Iowa State University, 2004)

Given that the water conditioner is highly diluted once added to the water column, an olfactory detectable presence of H2S when in undiluted form does not imply toxicity to fish when applied to an aquarium.

Even if your aquarium smells like a rotten egg, it is not necessarily enough H2S to kill your fish. It's not a good sign though, as you likely have pockets of H2S gas within your substrate, which may accumulate to toxic levels, or could come into contact with your fish when it's bubbles are released to the surface.

Edited by smirq, 26 August 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#24 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

One of the many plus sides to having trumpet snails! They keep the substrate turning over and prevent H2S build up.

#25 Hooked

Hooked
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the tip Johnno! I didn't realise Prime went off after a while. I've been buying the large bottles.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users