Pump advice needed

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

Hey

I run a 6800lph sump with this pump [url]http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1565.htm
and the noise from this pump is soooo bad, its a big pos. it vibrates heaps, and the impellar lost 2 blades in only a few weeks of operation :x

i bought it because it said it was quiet, which is the opposite of this pump :x

not to worry, it was cheap, and i shouldnt have set my expectations high.

the reason for my post is i would like to run a sump setup in my new/ free 8x2.5x2 or a pressurised pond filter. if iam to run either, i need a silent pump.

iam looking for recommendations of pumps with a flow of >5000lph.
my budget is approx. $350 for a pump, but if its silent, iam sure my dad will chip in:) also want to say thanks to my family for putting up with the nosie so far smile.gif

so what iam looking for is recommendations from people who have run pumps which are good quality.

thanks Andrew

#2 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:33 PM

I have an eheim pump running something other than a fish tank and it is super silent (even after 3 years+ with no maintance). Though its only 600lph and was about $120 i think.

I found this on aquaria: http://www.aquaria.c...roducts_id/5410 but it falls a fair bit short of your requirements.

for your pump it says: "# Quiet and extremely reliable
# Extremely Similar in design and function to a leading German Brand "
the leading german brand is the eheim one.
for 6800lph $90 is super cheap though, so i doubt its cheap and actually reliable (as seen by your results). Its possible the blades could of broken off if something hit them (as small as a grain of sand perhaps). Stuff can get through sumps, so maybe put some fine netting over the pump when you get a new one.

A few tips for quieter pumps:

1. New impellors can quieten a pump significantly if it is rattling a lot.
2. Make sure the pump is suspended. Most of the noise is the glass vibrating rather than the pump.
3. Position can also affect the noise (e.g. reverberating in a hollow chamber like a low sump or cubboard). Try polyester matting to deaden sound.
4. If the pump vibrates but doesnt rattles, chances are the impellor is not balanced (crap ones have a non-symmetrical lug on them). As a last ditch resort you could try putting a lump of epoxy on the other side (hard to get exact, cause you dont know if your adding too much or too little)

#3 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

(hlokk)
I have an eheim pump running something other than a fish tank and it is super silent (even after 3 years+ with no maintance). Though its only 600lph and was about $120 i think.

I found this on aquaria: http://www.aquaria.c...roducts_id/5410 but it falls a fair bit short of your requirements.

for your pump it says: "# Quiet and extremely reliable
# Extremely Similar in design and function to a leading German Brand "
the leading german brand is the eheim one.
for 6800lph $90 is super cheap though, so i doubt its cheap and actually reliable (as seen by your results). Its possible the blades could of broken off if something hit them (as small as a grain of sand perhaps). Stuff can get through sumps, so maybe put some fine netting over the pump when you get a new one.

A few tips for quieter pumps:

1. New impellors can quieten a pump significantly if it is rattling a lot.
2. Make sure the pump is suspended. Most of the noise is the glass vibrating rather than the pump.
3. Position can also affect the noise (e.g. reverberating in a hollow chamber like a low sump or cubboard). Try polyester matting to deaden sound.
4. If the pump vibrates but doesnt rattles, chances are the impellor is not balanced (crap ones have a non-symmetrical lug on them). As a last ditch resort you could try putting a lump of epoxy on the other side (hard to get exact, cause you dont know if your adding too much or too little)

i have a 1048 and yes its quiet as, but eheim doesnt make anything with enough flow for my needs:(
i have replaced the impellor in the pump, and although it made a difference, i can still hear the drone of the pump throughout my house! the pump is suspended on about 5 greek kitchen scouring pads, and still vibrations can be heard. my plan for the new setup is to encase the metal stand, but moisture will be a problem. thanks for your reply

Andrew

#4 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

does anyone have any experience with the resun king series of pumps? i have a 1500lph version, and with an updates impellar, its great. anybody know how noisy the king 6's are? or something of that size?

#5 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

Like I told you before andrew when you were thinking of replacing the pump. Try Pondmaster pumps.

Daniel

#6 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

i agree they have a great parts base in perth (so if it does stuff up it can be fixed, not saying that it will) and they are at reasonable prices

#7 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

Hi Andrew,

I have bought two Pondmax Pro 7500D pumps from Pacco at Vebas. The flow rate is great and I'm a convert to the vortex style "dirty water" pumps which have a different impeller that can handle large solids. The other advantage of the vortex type impellors is the design seems to make them run quieter, especially compared to the cheaper normal impellor type pumps once they get a bit of wear and get a little misaligned.

I run pressure filters with these pumps and find that the flow rate is more consistent as the pumps are more difficult to clog. Ideal to move the gunk to the pressure filter where they can then be backwashed out. Makes for a very low maintenance system IMO.

I like the Pondmax "Pro" because it has a really nifty cage around it that acts to protect your fish. However in a sump this may not be necessary. (mine is in a pond.)

HTH
Vince

#8 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

http://www.thereefsh...products_id=709

http://www.thereefsh...;products_id=77

http://www.thereefsh...;products_id=84

http://www.aquariump....au/prod867.htm

these seem like they might suit my needs, can anyone help me choose one? biggrin.gif

#9 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:15 AM

Its a bit odd that last one is recommended as a sump pump. Usually powerheads are designed to push water around without any backpressure (head). The pond pumps are designed to push water up though. It could be a standard pump (not a proper powerhead) though, hence why it would work well in a sump (proper powerheads would work in a sump, but not be as efficient or suited). Though the last doesnt look like its powerful enough for you?

#10 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

if i did go for the aquaclear, i would run two smile.gif anybody used the first one? is it available in perth?

#11 hemiking

hemiking
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

hi andrew i agree with daniel as i am using 1 in the pond at moment and 2 in sumps before. i find pondmaster quiet,relyable and easy to get parts if there needed which i havent yet. stay away from cheap and unknown brands. thats in my experience. i can give you some thick filter mat to put under your pump in sump to stop it vibrating on the glass if you want it i also have a look for the pumps you can borrow if you like but i dont want to sell them though.

#12 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

man if ur gonna spend between 100 and 300 dollars go for an ocean runnner
by aquamedic. it will be quiet and it uses less power than most of the competitors

#13 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

where can i get one neakit? the reef shop is sold out

#14 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

morley aquariums can order them in reasonably fast, they also keep a large range of pondmaster pumps

#15 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

http://www.thereefsh...products_id=228

is this the go?

#16 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:34 PM

thats the one i have ordered for my 4x2x2 marine

#17 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

where and how much did you egt it for?

#18 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

if u read the earlyer post it would be morley aquariums

#19 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

i got a pondmaster from pacco. its silent! biggrin.gif

#20 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

looking and feeling the flow from this pump, i feel it is not nearly as much as the old pump even though the setup is the same and the new pump is rated at 25lph more flow than the old pump. am i dreaming? does the pondmaster range need really large tubing? my tubing is 25mm up to the bulkead which is
about 15mm id. is this my restriction point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users