Photo

Fish Breeding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#21 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

irrational slinging match of inaccurate talk by others.

Ha, did I miss something?

#22 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Someone like Azz is merely pointing out the issue to let you guys know and be aware,,,, and his own desire to see this hobby in good shape.,,,,,,, .

Your absolutely correct ;)
I know what your doing for the hobby Buccal & I for one appreciate it. Unfortunately we don't get to see many of the species you breed as they go East. Yes I understand why, but it would be nice to see some cool species this way again.

I think the shops need to take some time out every week and advertise what they have, imo this excites people and gets them spending coin.
Well that's what I did at Mido & it seemed to work well.

#23 rsevs3

rsevs3
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

From a new person to the cichlid world, I can certainly understand how a new person could be breeding hybrids and selling them as pure bred with out even knowing.

There was a thread a few days again, maybe Kleinz, where there was a little confusion between two fish. I couldn't tell the difference until someone pointed out an easy way to tell. To make it even harder for new people to the hobby, how do you trust anyone on their word? I mean this is the internet. Then again, I suppose most people would not be too worried about hybrids as long as they look nice in their tank. Which only exacerbates the problem for people trying to keep a species pure.

For me personally, if I am breeding I would like to try and maintain a blood line. For just a display tank, a beautiful fish is a beautiful fish....

• Fox likes this

#24 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

irrational slinging match of inaccurate talk by others.
Ha, did I miss something?

Just in over all general.

#25 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

Your absolutely correct ;)
I know what your doing for the hobby Buccal & I for one appreciate it. Unfortunately we don't get to see many of the species you breed as they go East. Yes I understand why, but it would be nice to see some cool species this way again.
I think the shops need to take some time out every week and advertise what they have, imo this excites people and gets them spending coin.
Well that's what I did at Mido & it seemed to work well.

I do agree.
I have spoken in the past about a value structure,,, and mine seems to work well selling east.
A typical example shop sales.
Venustus, red empress, N.livingstone and various drgn bld and Mble pcck all sell at 4cm at $3 each. Shops sell on at $12-$15
N.linni and albino dimi comp and pheno gissel all sell at 4cm at $10 each. Shops sell on at $20-$40

It does seem in Perth if shops try to sell these $40 fish they cannot sell,,, so they simply don't buy.
Though the shops here will dabble occasionally to test out.

Though mind you I'm only talking about allowable imports and fish that's been in the hobby a long time ago or in the past and almost close to being lost making them rare.
This part is what worries some breeders,,, do the regulators know what specie was about in the past and when the fishes comebacks are made,,, will they be considered as not been in oz by a non-knowledgable regulator ??? Hmmm

Edited by Buccal, 15 September 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#26 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

Get them linni out ;)
I've also heard there is williamsi around ;)
And a few other rarities! If I had a shop I'd be buying from you ;)
I know it's about money at the end of the day, but when a hobbyist has a shop they tend to keep a little bit of the hobbyist in the shop as well.

#27 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

^^^ yes for sure.
But as a breeder, when one pays big $$ for fish,,, it's just nice to make the money back to pay for them at a reasonable speed.
After that,, the value then lowers to a more modest value for every one to enjoy and hopefully stabilize abundance.

The honey moon period of fast big sales at high prices on introduction lasts for some time in the east,,,, so much so it can often fuel the $$ to contribute to next great thing and so on...... Typically a healthy thriving hobby at this point,,, :)

#28 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

I would not like to buy crappy African hybrids, so a name or shop may help myself and others avoid being ripped off

(Name and shame) sometimes it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 hollis

hollis
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

I may be off the mark here and im sure I will be corrected if I am , from what I can gather is that you (Buccal) breed a vast number of quality varieties of fish here in the northern suburburbs of Perth but only sell to Eastern states ? It is a bit hypocritical to bag the local fish market  /breeders and not contribute yourself .

Edit = font size change

Edited by hollis, 16 September 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#30 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

people in perth want to pay 1-2$ per fish and then re sell them for 15$

#31 hollis

hollis
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

Thats a very general assumption.I think alot of hobbyist would be happy to pay good price for good quality, I know I would be happy to.

#32 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

people in perth want to pay 1-2$ per fish and then re sell them for 15$

Not all people

I personally buy wild bettas at up to $150 per pair and give the babies away for free to deserving people

Not everyone is in it for the money

#33 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

Thats a very general assumption.I think alot of hobbyist would be happy to pay good price for good quality, I know I would be happy to.

go do it then.....

#34 hollis

hollis
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

I am and have been for years thanks buddy

#35 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

I am happy to pay for quality too..

#36 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

I'd be happy to know who's selling the crap quality so I don't pay top dollar for crappy hybrid African cichlids.. Posting that there is crap ones being sold and ruining the hobby but not saying who's selling them seems pretty pointless to me, in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

Posting that there is crap ones being sold and ruining the hobby but not saying who's selling them seems pretty pointless to me, in my opinion

agreed atleast if you were purchasing some africans (i dont like them so i wont be) anyways you could be like, hey did you get the parent stock off so and so and if they said yes you would avoid them like the plague

and as for paying for quality yea its great theres a handfull of guys around who pay for what they want i class myself as one of them...but majority of people getting into the hobby just get some Bns and elec yellows maybe some tetras and after a few years they move on,

#38 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

I wouldn't buy crap quality, but I also can't afford W/C or F1 or any fancy expensive stuff, so I just keep what I can afford.

I would like to get top quality stuff with pretty colours, but can not afford it. I suppose that's why I love Oscars, Electric Yellows, and Burundi Frontosa.

Someone selling deformed or mislabeled (E.G.: hybrid) fish is not cool though. Something I won't understand.

Good discussion, and it shows that hobbyists should support their LFS or Local Breeders.

#39 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

Name and shame Azza, this hobby has no place for people like that mate.

#40 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

Agree 100%^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users