• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

I'm have a small tank (550mm x 550mm) that i want to set up in my office. Originally i was going to try a planted tank but as i work in the southwest for an environmental group i thought it would be great if i kept some SW natives.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to keep Galaxias occidentalis in this size tank. Also, i know very little about how to keep them or if they can be bred in a tank.

We have a small (slightly degraded) brook behind our office that is being restored and I spoke with the local APB officer who told me that the Galaxias occidentalis was in the brook but has been replaced by gambusia. In the long term I would love to re-establish these guys back in the brook and eliminate the gambusia. However, my first step is to find out how to keep these guys so any info about the care they require would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Brett

#2 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

The tank is probably a little small Brett. Either way, they are excellent jumpers so make sure they cannot escape.

Andrea smile.gif

#3 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:34 AM

How big a tank would you recommend for them - I can always ask for a bigger office!

Otherwise, is there any other sw natives that this size tank could accomodate?

#4 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:38 AM

When I kept Galaxia sp. I found that they appreciated at least 4 foot long tanks. Perhaps some Western Pygmy Perch and/or Swan River gobies (or equivalent down your way)?

Andrea smile.gif

#5 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:10 PM

Yeah maybe.

I'd have to stick to species that have a record of being in the brook, so I'll ask around about pygmy perch's.

Thanks for the info

#6 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:20 PM

Greetings Brett,

I have to agree with Andrea regarding tank size for Galaxids, particularly G. occidentalis, which grows to a reasonable size, and is fast swimming and a good jumper. They also like cool water, and readily stress in warmer conditions: particularly in restricted space.

There are some smaller Galaxids from the Southwest that would suit a small tank, even as small as the one you have, but temperature would remain a possible problem. Pygmy perches are certainly a good alternative.

Would you be interested in joining ANGFA? We meet on the fourth Monday of each month at the Rotary Hall in Sandgate St., South Perth (same meeting place as Perth Cichlid Society and Aquarium Society of WA)

Cheers
Syd.

#7 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

Hey Syd,

Thanks for the info. I know now that i have a few options in terms of what i can keep, but a lot of research ahead if i want this little project to get off the ground.

I would be interested in joining ANGFA actually. Unfortunately it will have to wait until the July meeting as I'm located in Bridgetown until mid July.

Regards,

Brett

#8 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:03 PM

Hi Brett
The restoration of the brook and removal of Gambusia sounds great, but I think you will find you are breaking the law if you release Galaxias occidentalis back into the brook. It would be wise to get approval from the relevant Government departments first.

Terry

#9 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:53 PM

Cheers Terry,

That's part of the reason why I'm keen on the occidentalis. If i can establish that they are a part of the naturally occurring fauna that should be found in the brook, I've got more of a chance of gaining the necessary approval than if i am trying to transplant a native species that wasn't necessarily part of the brook's fauna previously.

Unfortunately there is little chance of finding any documentary evidence that they were originally there. However, I am hoping that the word of the local APB officer who has worked in the area for 20+ years controlling feral animals and weeds will be good enough for the authorities. But who knows! Red tape and bureaucrats!

At this stage I'm only tossing a few ideas around in my head and have no concrete plans, but i have to start somewhere. Even if I'm limited to setting up a tank in the office and showing visitors what should live in the brook 50m away, i think it will be beneficial.

Anyway, I'll be sure to hound you guys with questions so don't get sick of me just yet.

Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users