Photo

8x3x2 tank journal *finshed*lighting pic,s added*more pic,s*

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#141 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:27 AM

I hope you change that gravel. It makes it look like one of those 10+ yo tanks at some chinese restaurants :oops:.

Looking at the rest of the tank it could look so much better laugh.gif

Sand is cool, but may be a bit of a problem in a tank that size. Mainly for washing it, but you could filter out the fine particles in your tank. Something like river sand because its varied particle size and you can get it from soils aint soils or similar.

Otherwise, go some kind of gravel thats the same colours. Depends on your taste, but I think black would be best (especially as you said they are night fish). Some gravel from a soil place would probably be more cost effective. Remember it looks different wet though (get some samples, wash them and chuck them in your tank in patches to see how it looks.

The rest of the layout. I recon you should get some large driftwood pieces. The bigger the better as it will look better in the tank (especially compared to the small pieces dotted around the tank laugh.gif ). Lie them somewhat diagonally. Something that would look ridiculously awesome would be to get a tree root the height of your tank, and place it in one corner by cutting off everything but a corner of roots. Perhaps there are some treestumps around there that you can use (I have no idea though). You could even split the tree and put half up against the background, and a quarter piece in the corner. Otherwise, maybe some large pieces arranged randomly (to provide shelter). Mangrove type roots would look really cool at the back of the tank and provide hiding spots for fish, but i dont know how easy it would be to implement.

As for rocks, try putting in some large ones. The bigger the better (as long as you can lift them), but make sure you can put them in the tank without dropping them. Perhaps some kind of sling system just cause of the difficulties in leaning over and into the tank. Then cluster the rocks on one side and scatter some smaller ones throughout the tank. Put the rocks onto 'eggcrate' or similar material (bunnings have plastic 300mm drain covers that work well) to distribute the load and prevent point sources. The glass can support heavy rocks (as long as the stand doesnt let the glass flex, but glass cant support point loads, like a pointy bit of a rock, or a grain of sand stuck between the rock and the glass. Then fill the gravel/sand in after the rocks so they're bedded in a bit.

Some plants would be cool, but might not really be feasable.

Perhaps you could simulate some kind of riverine environment in your tank? Might need powerheads, then shape the sand in a meandering shape devoid of rocks, then use coarser sand and rocks outside of that.

Though the best way to setup your tank is to look at other peoples tanks. Try browsing through the tank galleries at cichlid-forum.com. Many zoos also have very nicely setup natural looking tanks. Also, perhaps look at underwater shots of where your fish are from for ideas.

#142 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:37 AM

Some great advice there!
Check out this site I reckon its got some nicely decorated tanks in it.
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/

#143 muscle-man

muscle-man
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

..... Ahhh :roll: ....ahhhh :roll: ...ermmm . :roll: ..... arhhhh :roll: .........ehhhh...... :roll:

Am Speechless. :wink:

Awesome TANK mate. biggrin.gif

I really enjoyed the step by step photo process .

Benckie your post is very informative and educational for me.

Thanks

#144 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

thanks guys.

i like the rocks thats is in the tank took me awhile to colect and mix them up.

i drive trucks for a company that does alot of exposed agg,s so i can get my hands on alot of difrent looking crushed rock and stone.

i have a few medium river rocks a couple of buckets of of river pebbles and some more wood but not enought to do any thing decent with the 8 footer.

ill have to take the 4bies out and pull up some old trees

#145 jack

jack
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

looks great shane biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif 8O 8O 8O ill just keep dreaming agh

#146 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

Hey Benks biggrin.gif

With that light what about a cowling around it like a taperd range hood it would direct the light downwards and not everywhere else biggrin.gif

Regards Cobby

#147 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

yeah good idea but still to bright im going to change the globes and see how i go

#148 shortie

shortie
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

what made you use 3 canisters? i would have set up a sump system
but theyre good filters. im using one on my 4x2x2
regards matt

#149 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:38 PM

Spot on Jack biggrin.gif

He also said he might mount anouther tank underneath biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Regards Cobby

#150 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

(shortie)
what made you use 3 canisters? i would have set up a sump system
but theyre good filters. im using one on my 4x2x2
regards matt

i just dont like sumps

#151 taipan

taipan
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:04 PM

Sensational tank and setup Shane. You have put all sorts of ideas in my head now. Would be great to see the finished product one day
Matt

#152 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

we will have to catch one one day and you can check it out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users