Photo

Shark Attack Port Kennedy

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#41 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

Yes, I agree with your statements regarding tracking & culling man-eaters. However, my point is that everyone has a different view on things in life, and YOU shouldn't get narky about their comments/statements/beliefs.... tongue.gif

Off topic: No one commented or laughed about your new business, importing indian hand-made jewellery, did they?? smile.gif

#42 Gavin

Gavin
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

Perhaps made out of real indian's hands by the sound of Den's callous attitude.
Just jokes:) I couldn't resist the play on words.

#43 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

Nice one Kevin, but I am really enjoying making alot of ladies happy with my new jewellery business, beats any other industry I've worked in. I respect a difference of opinion but when someone makes a silly or rediculous comment and someone else points it out why are they the bad person?

Gavin, jewellery is not made from hands but I do order the odd hand to be chopped off any any slow worker or just for plain amusement.

Anyway I'm off the subject, I've accepted that the majority of the public (who dont even use the beach or our bay) are too far brainwashed with a misconception of poor theories and based on this they want to protect this killer and let it roam our waterway.

Next victim will be a wind/kite surfer, in the same bay, anyone fancy a wager?

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#44 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

I believe there was even more spotted to day, should we have killed that one as well? just because people are afraid, we than would have senselessly killed an animal that did no wrong, (quote)

There never was in my thought the need to sensely go around killing so called man eaters. My concern is that the known culprit just moves on to his/her next feed.
Sharks live in the ocean we have feet for terrafirma solid ground, personally I don't swim in the ocean for this very reason and I would never want to go around killing aimlesley but to let a know killer move on is to my way of thinking stupid in itself.
Was it 10 years ago in Cottesloe when the shark was just left after killing the guy on the paddle board, well he wasn't eaten to me it was an accident; the shark attacked his kyak, but human life is paramount and the shark was left to its devises because of so called experts, it shoudl have been tagged at the least. If the shark is identifiable it should be destroyed regardless of arguments to humanity and being in their domain. The domain of the whole earth actually has been give to us to look after and tend. If a rouge gets out of control wether human or animal they should be dealt with in a humane way. Sorry that is my opinion...

#45 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Dec 30 2008, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
happy with my new jewellery business so Im the one smiling at this new venture, working with lots of great ladies, its fun and creative and I'm loving it mate! beats any other industry I've worked in.

I really admire "owner-operator" and small business owners... All the best with that venture mate! biggrin.gif
I'd do the same too (have my own small business), but I don't have the time.... maybe in a year or so... smile.gif

Back on topic...

I too think the killer shark/s should be culled ASAP.. It's the Summer/Holiday season and there's gonna be heaps of swimmers at risk............

#46 CCA001

CCA001
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

Gday Den have you even given thought that maybe us HUMANS are fishing to much in there waters i meen look at all the boats that are net fishing and catching the fish to sell in the shops, what is it going to eat plankton. I TOTTALLY disagree with you about culling this shark as alot of the others have aswell. I used to go fishing 10yrs ago down at hillarys and various other beaches and get masses of herring, whiting, tailor and various other fish, now try and catch anything along our beaches WE HUMANS have fished it out.

I have been diving a fair bit and have come across numerous sharks including some rather big ones and am still here to tell the tale. I did ALOT of fishing, swimming and diving all around rockingham, penguin island, Point Peron when i was a younger lad with my family and never once did we see anything resembling a shark, lots of sharks and seals at safety bay jetty, try fishing there now lucky if you get anything but a blowy, so geez i wonder why the sharks are coming closer to shore, maybe in search of FOOD. I still frequent that area a fair bit aswell as my family still live there, they actually hold sailing comps in that area all the time, never seen anything im told after talking to them on the weekend, nearly 25yrs of sailing between the 3 kids aswell in that area.

The way i see it is you are going into there land not them onto ours so why kill the poor thing when all it was doing was what its natural instict is catch food to stay alive, im sure you eat fish did you ever stop to think hey maybe i am taking away something elses meal here, the things that live in the ocean dont take the food of your table so why do it to them just so you have something to eat.

Also another point id like to make is you say KILL the rogue (Maneater), well what about all the MURDERERS we put in jail for killing another human, they are left to LIVE and we pay for there sorry butt to live in that jail and stay alive how is that fair shouldnt they be killed then, its exactly the same thing and they are PROVEN GUILTY of taking a human life.

I am with all of the media, family, friends and fellow pcs members LEAVE THE SHARK ALONE it is only living in its own world minding its own businnes. We are the ones invading there world not the other way around.

Just so you know yes i live about 5mins from the beach if that and frequently go into there territory and im always wary of what i am doing as it isnt my world down there its theres.

Sorry if it sounds a little bit biast but the ocean is something i have alot of respect for.

Just my opinion smile.gif

#47 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

I've been following the headlines, as I've said at the beggining people dont realise - but are now maybe starting to realise just how common these GW sharks are getting! What I've been predicting for a while is happening alot faster than I thought. i.e. lots more whites around and lots more attacks comming.

I dont say kill every GW shark. Each GW shark that comes into metro area would have to be handled differently, some culled, some tracked and some eletronically tracked, depends on the place they are and what they've done. i.e. port kennedy shark is in a partially enclosed bay that is very poulated with water users, it killed and ate a man whole, the solution for this situation should be to destroy the shark, but as I said before we have a situation where this can happen and the shark is followed for a little while, until its lost, then its basically left to roam free in a highly populated area and allowed to kill again.

Cheers
Den

#48 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

Another sighting this arvo in the Sound Pk again...more than likely the same one don't you think.
Glad I don't swim

#49 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Very interesting, there's now a state poll with seven news on wehter people think the shark in Port Kennedy should be killed or not.
Looking forward to seeing the results...

#50 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

Votes:

Should the shark be culled?

YES : 1 vote
NO : 99999999 Votes.

The logic of people who want to save the shark: Their life is more important than the sharks life, but the sharks life is more important than the life of a stranger. They are against killing a man eating shark that poses threat to human life but its OK to kill millions of harmlmess shark species for their fish and chips and shark fin soup.

#51 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

A good point that, about human hypocrisy, however, again, that does not make any action right, or absolve us from making yet another decision based on fear.

Hypocrisy is a human failing, not a failing of nature. Our attitudes and beliefs are constructed. Take our attitude towards nature for example. This is not a result of our own personal beliefs, but a result of the beliefs of the society in which we live and the doctrines that inform it.

Let's consider some big picture stuff.

Christianity, with its roots in Judaism, is a major factor in the development of the Western worldview. A basic Christian belief is that God gave humans dominion over creation, with the freedom to use the environment as they saw fit and this has had an enormous impact on our approach to the environment in the past.

Another important Judeo-Christian belief predicts that God would bring a cataclysmic end to the Earth sometime in the future. One interpretation of this belief is that the Earth is only a temporary way station on the soul's journey to the afterlife. These beliefs tend to devalue the natural world, and foster attitudes and behaviours that have a negative effect on the environment.

These views are changing, and while many of us are not religious, we forget that our attitudes are socially constructed. There is a belief in Judeo-Christian societies that we are God's special creatures and we have a right to do what we wish. We are not always aware of where these ideas come from, however, they are woven into the very fabric of our existence.

I think as we move further away from these beliefs, and our society becomes more secular and multi cultural, we will see a gradual shift in opinion.

CCAA001 has brought up a very good point, that what we are seeing is not a cause, but a symptom of our belief that the natural world is something "separate" from us and we have dominion over it. This shark debate goes much deeper than one shark in one small town on our planet. It reflects some of the challenges we will be facing as a result of our actions and our belief that we have a God given right react and do as we please. It reveals the polarisation in our society regarding our fundamental beliefs about how to respond to the events that perhaps we have brought on ourselves.

The bible predicts that God will bring a cataclysmic end to the Earth. I say we will beat him/her to it if we continue to consider it our right to try and gain power and control over something that every now and then shows us just who/what is the true powerful one.

Regards,

Donna

Namu Sugata Ratnashikin

#52 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:03 AM

Donna Im glad that you've found some good points in other peoples "philosophies", I wont appologize but I'm a person wanting action and not words, I want to kill that man eater and any other one while it poses a threat to human life.

Donna I want to ask you this question:

You are swimming in Warnbro Sound and a white pointer is coming towards you and PCS member 1, PCS member 2 and I are standing on a boat right near you watching it happen.

Now you have your choices:

1. You can ask PCS member 1 to give you their philosophical opinion about "symptom of our belief".
2. You can ask PCS member 2 to show you how to not act like a seal or turtle and how to act like a human in the water to fool the shark.
3. You can ask me to blow the "lovely" barstards head of with a shotgun smokey.

Or even better you wish at least someone had made some effort to prevent this situation in the first place?

Take your pick of reality, do you mind if we get back to it?.

OMG Im gonna cop it now, I love you all laugh.gif

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#53 kuhni

kuhni
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

How about those electromagnetic bands that are used by surfers. Why don't they install larger scale versions in major swimming areas.

I just don't see the point in culling, I believe we're past that very basic "solution".

#54 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

Den,

What I wrote was about prevention, but not in a minute.

It was about inviting people to understand their attitudes and beliefs where they come from and perhaps challenge them. With all the suffering that has already been, is and will be, nothing I can say or even do will change that. You think that what I ask is impractical, but I did say it was big picture stuff, and was not meant to offer any immediate solution. I was hoping that it could help some people to clarify their thoughts and begin to understand how it is they get there smile.gif

My point was that incidents like this often reveal our belief systems. The community is divided and it actually sparks for the most part, some healthy debate. It is not about this one shark, but more about what it says about us and humanity.

I don't have any answers, only questions, and I can't say what I would do. In a perfect world, I would take option two, but who knows?

I was "attacked" by two pit bulls once when I was on my own walking in Yunderup near the river. They worked together to corner me. If I had a gun I might have used it. However, I was brought up with dogs (hah hah 17 in a two bedroom house) and I believe I used my knowledge of their behaviour to avoid serious damage. I could be full of sh*t though, and just lucky.

It is not about this one shark, but more about what it says about us and humanity.

Den, you are not wrong, and neither is anyone else, we do what we have to do with the knowledge and attitudes we have been armed with.

Regards,

Donna

#55 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

This topic/debate is gonna go on forever... LOL!

End of the day, no one is right or left...i mean wrong.. biggrin.gif
As individuals, we all have our beliefs and thoughts on how things are done and suitable solutions etc.... I think it'll be a boring world if everyone wore grey and kept only guppies.. tongue.gif

#56 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

For the love of God!! It's New Year's Eve!!!! tongue.gif

#57 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Dec 31 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it'll be a boring world if everyone wore grey and kept only guppies.. tongue.gif

Calling me boring Kev??? LOL!!! smile.gif

#58 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Dec 31 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Calling me boring Kev??? LOL!!! smile.gif

If you're one out of 100... then it makes you unique.. tongue.gif

#59 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

Damn, usually my sermons put an end to these topics smile.gif

I've failed biggrin.gif

#60 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Donna @ Dec 31 2008, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn, usually my sermons put an end to these topics smile.gif

I've failed biggrin.gif

Sorry to steal your glory Donna... biggrin.gif

I'm so bored in the office at the moment so I'm just writing up "off-topic" nonsense.. LOL! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users