Holding In The Mouth

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks.

I'm not going to touch anything this time! Last time she was holding I did a water change then they were gone! sad.gif
This is her 2nd time hopefully she keeps them in.

I'm heading to Perth on Sunday, I need to buy one of those fry containers any that you recommend?
Thanks Kylie

#42 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Fry containers - the best ones are home made ones. Dont get those mesh ones with the green plastic borders, fry will get sucked through the mesh when placed in a tank with larger fish. The other all plastic ones with holes drilled into them I don't like either, not enough water flow for my liking.

I think there is a write up on this site in the article section on how to make your own. Easy and they do a great job. Cut holes in the side of an icecream tub, silicone fly wire over the holes and silicone some poly to hold it afloat.

#43 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Dam it, that means I have to go buy a tub of ice-cream then eat it all! tongue.gif

#44 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Sounds like a winner. Can also use small baskets from bunnings, they have holes around the entire thing, works a treat just silicone the fly wire/mesh to the inside to cover the holes. Great water flow and the bottom is protected by plastic.

#45 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Yeh cool, I saw that thread so I will head straight to bunnings when I'm in Perth and hopefully when I come back home she still is holding! smile.gif

#46 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

If you can't be bothered with DIY, just put a pool sock over the square meshed fry savers. It stops the fish from seeing in cheers.gif Steve

#47 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Ok this totally sucks!!! She is not holding anymore sad.gif
Why can't she just keep them in her mouth!? She had a full mouthful!

#48 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

sounds like they r not getting fertilized if she is only holding for a few days...

#49 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Bloody useless male!! tongue.gif

#50 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Could be just to young or getting stressed by the other fish. Holding females like a bit of privacy when holding and like to hide to get away from the others, so plenty of hidy holes would help. Cheers Steve

#51 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Yeh that's another thing I was thinking , but the last two days i have left the lights off so the other fish don't bother her.

Oh well next time maybe! smile.gif

#52 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

The lights are for our benefit, the fish can still see one another with the lights turned off. Lots of caves for them to get out of one anothers line of sight is the best option, either wood, rocks, corals, ornaments, plants ( fake or real ). The idea is to give them somewhere to chill out and fill safe for awhile. cheers Steve

#53 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yeh I've got plenty of rock and a bit of coral and a pot. I might put some more in. Thanks Kylie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users