West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

If it's allowed then name and shame

#42 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

You cant name and shame... There are always 2 sides to every story. Not saying Az isnt 100% correct but imagine how out of hand it could get if we started doing that kind of thing.

#43 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

Lo lol lol lol,,,, absolute classic,,,, here we go again,,, like I said on the previous page breaking out into a irrational slinging match,,,, you guys are incredible,,,,, and not even close to realistic,,,, the only sense i saw in this was Malawi mans response at the end.
MY GOD!!!!, name and shame,,, what the???
So freakin what if a shop has something that's not correct,,,, it happens,,, this breeder probably has 95% percent good fish and just a one of hybrid,,,, one tainted bloodline doesn't mean everything around him is damned.

If breeder is knowingly dispersing a hybrid, of coarse it's bad,,, but if it's at a particular shop and then you guys commit deformation on the shop,,, then ya need ya head checked !!!!!

I don't think there would be one shop standing that hasn't had a hybrid in some shape or form pass through,,, it doesn't mean the shop or breeder is bad.
As long as its worked out and sorted.
Azz has said they are a particular type of alounocara,,,, so if your after that type, be vigilant when buying,,, that's all you need to know.

#44 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

I may be off the mark here and im sure I will be corrected if I am , from what I can gather is that you (Buccal) breed a vast number of quality varieties of fish here in the northern suburburbs of Perth but only sell to Eastern states ? It is a bit hypocritical to bag the local fish market  /breeders and not contribute yourself .

Edit = font size change

Jeeeez maaaannn,,,, unlike my presence before on pcs in the past,,,, I'm choosing to be smarter rather than a verbal aggressor.
Well here I am correcting you !!!!!
Vast amounts of my fish in the past has kept this hobby fueled since the GFC when everyone closed down their tanks.
I only have held back 5-10% of species because I worry about the value bombing out fast while the shops east are still trying to keep prices high,,,,, just because it's a hobby,,, it doesn't mean bussines ethics shouldn't be in place.

Believe me sir,,,,, you really don't know what your talking about,,, especially in those big bold letters displaying your madness at me trying to upset me.
It's funny how club members and backyard dealers get very pissed of when seeing lots of great fish close to them but cannot purchase them privately.
Having people come to your house to buy fish is a sheer absolute wrist slitting hell.
Some people enjoy their own privacy and like to keep out of the lime light you know.

I've only resurfaced to try and set all on a realist outlook on the hobby.
The joys of grouping and lynching are from those who aren't that deep into the hoby that can't raise a constructive topic and share for all to learn,,,,, where has all this gone these days.

#45 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Whilst I agree with most of what you say and respect you as a keeper and breeder, I disagree with the fact that this person cannot be named. If this person is willingly and purposely supplying the market with hybrid fish they are part of the problem that we have of certain species being lost and or bloodlines ruined.

It is difficult enough buying quality fish these days without larger scale breeders flooding the market with hybrids. Sure it may only be one type of aulonocara at the moment, but what is stopping them from hybridising other cichlids and selling them for profit to unsuspecting shops or private buyers? Its like any business, their normal products might be very good but as soon as they start knowingly selling a poor quality product it soon becomes known and their name is mud. The same goes in this industry, if they have 95% good stock, get rid of the 5% that is crap and keep your good name or don't bloody bother.

#46 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

Aulonocara are one of the very few Malawi cichlids that are a permitted import. What's more, I saw a Bayfish list for them not long ago, and they are really laughably cheap for fish that have been bred in Germany or even kidnapped from in or next to the lake in Africa. If even a notoriously parsimonious fish buyer like myself thinks they are a bargain, then there is no reason  for anything in that genus to be less than all it could be in Perth.

ps: I am actually fine in regard to petricola/multipunctatus; was just encouraging someone to leap in and explain the difference, which they duly did :)

#47 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

Keep it friendly people!
I posted to make people aware, I won't name and shame! The person is a member here & I was hoping they see this thread and hopefully............ Better thier fish keeping habits.

The person is very well known in the hobby, I have now been told & seen a few different Aulonocara species that are obvious hybrids and also have seen bunches of Aulonocara that were purchased as 1 species but are several different types.

To me this shows very bad fish keeping skills, it also shows the person/people are only in it for the money.
Sad state of affairs :( they will get out of the hobby in a few years, but by then they would've helped destroy the Aulonocara in WA & possibly Oz.
  • ice likes this

#48 rsevs3

rsevs3
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

ps: I am actually fine in regard to petricola/multipunctatus; was just encouraging someone to leap in and explain the difference, which they duly did :)

I would not have known they were different fish if you had not pointed it out!

The way you guys all remember the Latin names is impressive to say the least. I am forever googling names to see what fish people are talking about.

Beautiful photos by the way :)
  • Fox likes this

#49 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

That's half the fun of the hobby, trying to keep up with all the Latin names. :)
Plus you sound rather fancy around your mates if you can say some BS names lol.
Best ones are Nitrobacter & Nitrosoma :D
Great words to sound fancy, but even better if you google them and find out what they mean ;)
You've given me a good idea actually......

#50 rsevs3

rsevs3
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

I know all about our two favorite bacteria from my AP obsession!

Its all the rest of the fish names i cant manage!

• Fox likes this

#51 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

Choose a species, Research like hell and pretend you know everything..
Everyone thinks I know a lot... Shhhh don't tell anyone I know nothing :/ hahha

#52 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:14 AM

Don't impulse buy when you see a pretty fish, research your species so you know what your getting. Every fish shop these days has a tank labelled mixed peacocks because people are buying them. I went in to one awhile back and all the peacocks were labelled red, blue, or yellow peacocks as soon as you stop using the scientific names it's a recipe for disaster.

• Fox likes this

#53 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

A shop selling peacocks under the name of yellow, blue, red or or mixed is not disaster.
The disaster is the handler/breeder that makes the choice to generate a non confirmed specie.

Fish sold under these labels are scraps, or unidentified, low quality, or throwbacks coming from original forms used as locational crosses (sub hybrids) that are crossed to create designer peacocks.
These labeled fish are a economy price for people that don't have much coin but want color.
It's really just another level of choice for the aquarist to be filled.

Much worse issues exist in every day fish keeping life than these labeled fish,,,,,,, like incorrect labeled fish and people keeping mixed specie tanks and extracting fry from.

Guns don't kill people,,,,,, people kill people.

#54 MattyB

MattyB
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:13 AM

OBSOLUTLY NOTHING WRONG WITH HYBRID AFRICANS! Try tell my peacock bass that there shit, he loves them lol. its the worse thing about Africans they cross breed like there meant too, prob one of the reasons why I have never bred africans as its so hard to tell at 3cm what they are. even if there a odd colour from the batch you don't know till they get a bit bigger.

#55 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

I've always thought it's funny that people in the West cry about how all the awesome fish are over East, when in reality, they come from the West haha!

#56 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

^. :)

#57 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

People in the West generally suffer from a syndrome known as 'short arms, long pockets'.

#58 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:00 PM

I won't name and shame!

Chicken!!!

#59 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:10 AM

People in the West generally suffer from a syndrome known as 'short arms, long pockets'.

Funny though, when it's in WA, the price is too high, but then they'll pay the price plus shipping to get them back into to WA haha!

#60 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

so to combat this problem that local breeders and shops have with thrifty WA hobbyists I propose the following:

- Buccal signs up on PCS an additional account stating that his location is NSW, and offers "free shipping to WA" for orders over $? for any ultra cool rare fish

- Sponsor stores post pics of ultra rare cool fish that are normally a ba-jillion dollars each, and then offer them to PCS members for the price of $?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users