Photo

Our New Puppy

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

HEY! What happened to my thread, It's been deleted, put it back guys I dont mind the comments from Den and others, makes for an interesting topic.

We have named him Jasper.

Den I can understand your comments about mauling etc etc, But do you really think I would put my children's life in risk? Ahhh No!
I have kept Staffords before and would recommend them to any family with children.
All dogs need to be trained, The ones that dont are the ones that cause trouble.

#22 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

#23 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

Bring him over so he can play with my 2 heel biters! tongue.gif

#24 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

Apparently my dog is a killer, so I wouldnt want to risk it LOL, tongue.gif
The vet said to keep him away from other dogs until he is 12 weeks old.

#25 Lyntanos

Lyntanos
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Jan 12 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couldnt find any ENGLISH Staffs around all Australian or American, I have 3 customers wanting English Staffs as they cant find them anywhere either.

Staffiy is short for Staffordshire terrier, so all staffies are English ones.

There is no such thing as an American Staffy.
Any dog called an "American Staffy" will either be a staffy cross or a pit bull (in the latter case they are called "staffies" to avoid the restrictions involved with pitbulls)

QUOTE (MONSTAF1SH @ Jan 12 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People make their own names up like teacup Chihuahua and mini bull terriers.

Mini bull terriers are an actual breed. They're about knee-height, as opposed to the mid-thigh height of standard bullies.

#26 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

OMG, so cute, just like a little piggy smile.gif I used to have a bull terrier named Bandit...nothing like these guys, really dumb dog too...but we loved her smile.gif

Oh such joy they bring smile.gif

Look after your puppy, it almost makes me want to get another dog as mine is getting older now. I don't think I will ever have another dog after this one....shame really.

Regards,

Donnna

#27 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Lyntanos @ Jan 13 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any dog called an "American Staffy" will either be a staffy cross or a pit bull (in the latter case they are called "staffies" to avoid the restrictions involved with pitbulls)

I beg to differ. The Am Staff was bred from Pit Bulls but are NOT the same thing, they are a seperate breed entirely and are recognized as such by the worlds seperate canine associations. Although since the BSL came into affect the pitty owners have taken to calling theirs am staff's as well so they do not have to comply with the BSL.

Az, he is so cute, and he looks like he needs a cuddle!!! How can you handle going off to work and leaving him? After 6 years mine still looks at me with his sad eyes when I leave for work.

#28 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

Hi everyone,

Hydonia is quite correct. The American Staffordshire Terrier originated in America to work on farms, bait bulls and fight. Although it comes from the pit bull, it is a breed, with its own standard, separate from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is English in origin.

Due to having a standard, this means that they can be registered as a breed and can also have a pedigree. They are not crossed and should breed true to type. They are actually quite an old breed, established around the 1800's.

I know there are so many myths and legends associated with some dogs. My mum bred dogs and we were members of the Canine Assoc etc etc so I know what kind of polly wally goes around, generally so that backyard breeders can get more money out of ill informed people. They spin lines about there being no pedigree or registration but they still charge as thought the dog is pedigreed. What a scam. Often, they don't know much about the dog themselves, and because they fell victim and bought a mongrel at pedigreed prices, the myth is thus continued so that people can save face. Next thing you know, they have a dog and bitch and are breeding the bum out of it to make some quick cash.

This link describing acceptable (pedigreeable, showable) standard breeds in Australia and beyond may help dispel myths.

http://www.dog-names...ire-terrier.htm

Regards,

Donna

#29 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Lyntanos @ Jan 14 2010, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Staffiy is short for Staffordshire terrier, so all staffies are English ones.

There is no such thing as an American Staffy.

Mini bull terriers are an actual breed. They're about knee-height, as opposed to the mid-thigh height of standard bullies.

The correct name for a Staffy is just Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Your right the minibulls are actually a recognised breed but they are the same as the standard bullterriers, the breed was created by breeding from small bull terriers.
I disagree with your call on Amstaff's though, they are a recognised breed. They are Staffordshires that were bred in America to a different standard, making them much bigger heavier and leggier than their cousins the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

#30 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Donna @ Jan 14 2010, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
know there are so many myths and legends associated with some dogs. My mum bred dogs and we were members of the Canine Assoc etc etc so I know what kind of polly wally goes around, generally so that backyard breeders can get more money out of ill informed people. They spin lines about there being no pedigree or registration but they still charge as thought the dog is pedigreed. What a scam. Often, they don't know much about the dog themselves, and because they fell victim and bought a mongrel at pedigreed prices, the myth is thus continued so that people can save face. Next thing you know, they have a dog and bitch and are breeding the bum out of it to make some quick cash.

OMG, so cute, just like a little piggy smile.gif I used to have a bull terrier named Bandit...nothing like these guys, really dumb dog too...but we loved her smile.gif

Oh such joy they bring smile.gif

Look after your puppy, it almost makes me want to get another dog as mine is getting older now. I don't think I will ever have another dog after this one....shame really.

Regards,

Donnna

Even though I got my first 2 dogs from a BYB I'm better educated now and will never buy one from a BYB or a pet shop again.

Why wouldnt you get another dog?
If Den's rant has made not want a dog think about all the dogs that need to be rescued on deathrow.
Save one of those fellas... wink.gif

#31 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hi there,

It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. There is actually a standard, as Hydonia has pointed out, and with the exception of a few minor differences between countries this standard describes all dog breeds, how the dog looks, what it should weigh, the acceptable range of colour, height etc.

This is not open to myth or urban legends....it is fact. If people actually referred to the standards they would know how close to the standard their dog is. There is no debate necessary.

If you think you have an American Staffordshire Terrier, then you look up the standard...if it doesn't match, you don't have one. The best way to be sure you have a thoroughbred is buy a dog with a pedigree...everything else is probably a crossbreed, or a very poor example of its breed. Of course this does not matter. If you don't want to show the dog then it doesn't matter, but no need to make up stories about what the dog is. It is in fact, a mongrel. People often pick the breed their dog most resembles to describe their dog, but in fact, it is actually a mongrel. My concern is how much people are prepared to pay for a mongrel on the strength of these myths, when there are breeders out there trying hard to maintain the standard of the breed they are breeding, and paying to register the dogs etc, where backyard breeders are reaping the benefits and labelling their mongrels and taking the money for it.

What would you pay for a hybrid fish?

Check out the link which describes the origin and the standard for the American Staffordshire Terrier (that is the correct name).

Regards,

Donna

#32 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Nail on the head there ^^
In this matter I agree. tongue.gif

#33 ofishyfish

ofishyfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

I have been looking at these as my partner likes them. The breeders are charging between 1500 to 2000. Is this close to what you paid at the shop? Do you kow if they are getting any more in?

#34 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (ofishyfish @ Jan 14 2010, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been looking at these as my partner likes them. The breeders are charging between 1500 to 2000. Is this close to what you paid at the shop? Do you kow if they are getting any more in?

You can get them at $900

#35 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

How my killer dog (Jasper) has grown

Now 16weeks old

Wanting to be a baby

#36 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Oh Az, he is something!!! Are you going to bring him for me to meet tomorrow morning?????

#37 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

He looks like "Pepper".. Trang's male chihuahua.. lol

#38 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Sure am smile.gif He will be excited I'm sure lol
When he meets new people he wee's a little, apparently that's him being polite. The vet told me today, he was being VERY polite to her hahaha

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Mar 25 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He looks like "Pepper".. Trang's male chihuahua.. lol

Will have to bring him around soon. He has had all his vaccinations now so he is good to go.

#39 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

No probs mate. You know my place is always "open house" for guys like you! smile.gif

#40 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

Jasper os so much cuter in person!!! Thank you Az for rbinging him to meet with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users