Photo

My 7x30x32 Planted Tank (dlw)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:03 PM

A few people have asked me to share photos of my tank that I just setup in my house (the only one I look after that is not at work).
This was my old one that I kept at my in-laws' house.

I had to move it out because of new wood flooring going in. I did not want to set another in their house because I am hardly there to look after it. So I put the plants in a pond at work (just let them float around) for 2 months while I made my own new tank for my own house.

First I did the plumbing, power and lighting:
Water supply inside the house:

Water supply outside the house, just click on the hose for draining and filling:

Lighting cables were hidden in conduit:

The tank was stuck together with Black Silicon:

It gives it nice lines that won't discolour and lasts longer (personal experience):

The tank is to be plumbed from underneath:

This allows me to pass up cables and airlines etc through the pipe work without anything dangling outside the tank, this is the CO2 Probe and Hose from inside the cabinet, other cables can be sent down the pipe later if I need it.

The Cabinet slots into place first and with the aid of a scissor lift, the tank is pushed onto the cabinet from the front. (Easier and less muscle required):

Plumbing and Cabling under the tank:

Tap water connection:

I decided to only use non-stemmed plants, that is grass like (monocots) so this included 8 sp of Aponogeton, 4 sp of Cryptocoryne, 2 sp of Echinodorus, 3 Lotus varieties, 4 Java Fern Varieties and 2 Java Moss varieties and a Lilaeopsis. The only Stem plant I have is a Blyxa japonica.

Week 1, when the poor plants that were floating for 2 months finally got back into a tank:

Week 12, settled in nicely:

I hope that that was not too much....

The gravel is a 3-5mm grade river pebble (imported) with the lower 1/3 mixed with a local Laterite (yes this is still 'old school Dupla' style, not ADA) The lighting is 3x 150w metal halide 6500K Osram lamps. CO2 is pH controlled to 6.8 and the fertilizer (Leaf Zone) is automatically dosed with an Eheim Liquidoser twice daily and tested weekly and topped up manually with the addition of Potassium Nitrate and Calcium. The lighting does have actinic flouros, but this is only for night time viewing if I am late home from work, and I use it to change the photo-period to encourage the flowering of the Aponogetons.

It is not finished yet, there is still some sorting to be done as new varieties take hold and the Crypts still have some old leaves to shed off before they look like they are at home. Also I am relying on a few snail varieties to do what it is they do, just like earth worms, they 'poo' in the gravel and turn it over. As this nutrient enters the gravel, it becomes a food source for the plants (most varieties that I keep utilize nutrients via the roots, not so much the leaves). There are plenty of old leaves for the snails to eat, and I have added some loaches to keep their numbers in reasonable proportions. They do not harm healthy plants or the seedlings.

I have only water changed it twice and cleaned the filter twice in the 12 weeks. This is an easy tank to maintain, the last thing I want to do after coming home from work, is to do more work on another tank.

Cheers,
Oliver

#2 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Very nice Oliver, the plumbing is well thought out, I like your hose connecter through the wall, I need to do something like that, can I ask where you got those chrome metal round facia things from?

Cheers
Den

#3 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

The mitre 10 Hardware on Vulcan rd in Canning Vale. It is a tradies hardware, associated with Plumbtech, the rings are for things like taps and shower heads coming out of the wall. (look at your toilet tap, Laundry/ washing machine tap or shower head). I used it to hide the mess from the 30mm drill bit (see the 'inside' photo), it would have been embarrassing if the wife found out. Also this method of clicking on the hose, makes the method of plumbing more legal than hard plumbing the tap water right up (though this did cross my mind, but it was just too hard at the time).

#4 seriavo

seriavo
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:32 AM

Nice and neat!!............picked up a few great ideas

cheers Oliver
laugh.gif laugh.gif

#5 nic

nic
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

how much would all that cost the normal person?

#6 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

It may just be all the gadgets, but the inside of the cabinet and the it is plumbed is the best I have ever seen. Looks very professional.

Daniel

#7 mickya

mickya
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

thats looks awesome

#8 booze

booze
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

(nic)

quite a few thousand inc the tank n stand

#9 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

Hi Oliver,

It looks really nice, I like the clean lines that the black silicon gives the tank and this is also aided by the lack of peripheral equipment.

Couple of questions, I notice in the initial photo's a lot of bubbles in the water, is this some type of venturi set-up with your filter outlet? I can't see the outlet clearly, what type do you use. I presume the inlet is the green cage on the left hand side of the tank, now beautifully disguised with crypts.

Also like to know which snail varieties you have in the tank? I can't actually see any biggrin.gif

Cheers
Brett

#10 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (nic)

What am I.......abnormal??? huh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'll have to work it out in retail terms, keep in mind some of it is an accumulation over time, like the CO2 stuff, but I would say with new equipment, about $7500 plus the plants. That's just a guess. But don't let this fool you into thinking LFS make lots of money.....it cost me in materials alone more than $5000, this does not include labour for building the tank, delivery, installation and preparation (lighting/plumbing).....all of which I spend countless of hours every week teaching customers to do. If I were a lawyer or accountant or Vet, I could charge for my time and advice, but in a LFS, we give advice for free.....lots of it.....and where is the tip? Nice customers leave a six pack (better ones leave a carton or a bottle of bourbon) HINT HINT!! tongue.gif ) laugh.gif laugh.gif
I can feel guys like Pacco and Kev nodding with approval tongue.gif
Well enough of that outburst.

Yes it does cost a bit...but...It can still look as good on the inside, with a clear silicon tank and a metal stand (cladded if you want) internal power filters and a couple of 150W down lights from Atkins Carlyle and a DIY CO2 kit....cost about $3500 new
Essentially, it can do the same job, you just have to know how to look after the plants, that is still the same.

Cheers,
Oliver

#11 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

(Brett)
Couple of questions, I notice in the initial photo's a lot of bubbles in the water, is this some type of venturi set-up with your filter outlet? I can't see the outlet clearly, what type do you use. I presume the inlet is the green cage on the left hand side of the tank, now beautifully disguised with crypts.

Also like to know which snail varieties you have in the tank? I can't actually see any biggrin.gif

Cheers
Brett

Hey Brett, long time no see,
The bubbles are the CO2 being diffused into the tank via a Eheim air diffuser. A bit of a waste of CO2.....but I have plenty of it and I get Mates Rates from U-Brew-It next door for refills. tongue.gif and I get free beer without having to give any advice :twisted: ........Ok I took a Vallium...... smile.gif

The Eheim has two inlets, so I have two Green strainers, one you noticed, the other is on the RHS just to the right and behind the log, but I can still access it.

The snails I like (I can sense hissing from the crowd) is the Malayan Livebearing Cone snail, the long thin one with the hard shell, the one no one can kill...it is actually a local native (similar ones exist all over the world) and I introduced it on purpose.........OK - enough with the booing guys!!!!

here's one:

I also put them in with the seedlings on top of the tank while the seedlings get their first roots in, and they don't eat them, just the algae.

Come past the shop one day and look for me.....and bring a beer laugh.gif

Cheers,
Oliver

#12 kinh

kinh
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:38 PM

nice setup,

i think i know what you mean about buying new 6fts and 8fts, itll set you back. biggrin.gif sad.gif luckily i got my 8.3.3 really really cheap.

#13 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

Yes I like cone snails too, they clean up all the crap at night and then dissappear into the substrate all day. I think they also help to aerate the substrate. I recently took all my sand out of my 10footer, I now have to vaccum twice a day and its still full of pooh, when I had the sand and snails the pooh was eaten up quickly.

#14 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

Someone should do a snail recognition article with description as to what they are good (or not good) for and what they eat etc. Members could offer photos and info to build it up...could come in handy for many in the future.

Anyone got spare time?

#15 Adzz

Adzz
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

nice set up on the tank mate

Were did you get the trolley to lift your tank ,did you hire it , looks like it would make life alot easyer

#16 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

Ideal Wire, a few doors down from my shop.
only goes up to 910 high, good enough for most jobs. handles up to 750kg
about $1200 retail
Don't know if you can hire one, have to enquire..

#17 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:20 PM

Did a Prune to my tank tonight......

Before Prune:

After Prune:

You can see the multitude of seedlings in the front of the tank... these are Aponogeton bullosus seedlings - had to make room for these little buggers, so the big parent plants had to go... these guys (2 of them) are about 1 year old:

I will be offering these and the other plants from my tank for sale at Aquotix this week... first in gets them, no holds.... prices negotiable in store.....

Some of the plants that I am bringing in:
Aponogeton bullosus
Aponogeton ulvaeceus x rigidifolius
Cryptocoryne cordata 'blassii'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green gecko'
Philipine Java fern
Tropica Java fern
Riccia
Hottinia palustris
Red and Green Tiger Lotus
Red Milfoil

#18 dom

dom
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:49 PM

awsome tank mate looks the goods ............

#19 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

Didnt see this post when it was posted,
Awesome tank Oliver.
Great job on the plumbing, when we build our house, Im going to copy your idea of the connector through the wall. Fantastic idea and so easy.

Gotta a customer who is after Lotus, Will send him down on the weekend wink.gif

#20 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

awesome job mate , looks stunning

i also , will be knocking off all your idea's

Cheers
Steve Green

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users