Photo

8.5x2x2 Malawi Tank - more pics added

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Deadwater

Deadwater
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

Hey i might be setting up a large tank (8x2x2) for the new peel zoo soon, anyone wanna lend me a hand? And if anyone has a good batch of various spechies of fry i will probz be interested shortly.

#22 jon

jon
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:21 PM

at risk of causing a highjack: whats a peel zoo?

#23 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

Id say its the zoo in the peel region not 100% sure though. Deadwater, the PCS is getting more involved in getting cichlids out there so if your planning on making that a cichlid tank send me a pm and we will see what we can do.

#24 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

Safety Bay Sand!! cool i can nearly see it from my front lawn laugh.gif

Can you post more photo`s of all of your tanks?

Cant see myself getting the tank fully underway(stocking anyhow)for about 4-6 weeks yet so will look forward to you`re future stock!!

Will post every stage i go through on here anyway laugh.gif

#25 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

today i got a 8x2x2 and have set it up. geez it is much more spacious than my old 6x18x18 biggrin.gif . i followed den's instructions and got safety bay beach sand. iam modelling my efforts on Den's because i love his tank. i will pm you to buy some of your high quality fish. tongue.gif

#26 nic

nic
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

hi

what is an Ps. hajomaylandi

thanks nic

#27 studzy6

studzy6
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Safety Bay sand?

Well I'm off to the beach tomorrow with some buckets!

Awesome tank btw, after I get my new car, I will be saving for a 6x2x2 or larger.

#28 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:27 AM

Hey Studzy

You will have problems with beach sand after about 6-12months as its too fine and gets into your filters and compacts up making oxygen dead spots in the substrate. I am now using oversized lime sand from Cooks industrial minerals in Jadakot, its only about $16 for 25KG and has many advantages over beach sand and also looks heaps better IMO.

#29 studzy6

studzy6
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

(Den)
Hey Studzy

You will have problems with beach sand after about 6-12months as its too fine and gets into your filters and compacts up making oxygen dead spots in the substrate. I am now using oversized lime sand from Cooks industrial minerals in Jadakot, its only about $16 for 25KG and has many advantages over beach sand and also looks heaps better IMO.

Awesome, I never ended up getting to the beach today so I will end up going to Jandakot instead, whereabouts is the actual place in Jandakot? lol, Thanks Den biggrin.gif

#30 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:37 PM

CIM - Cooks Industrial minerals,

Phone: 9417 1111
Lot 21 Cutler Rd, Jandakot.

they have samples in the office when you get there, the one I got is the lime sand but you gotta ask for the "extra course stuff with shells in it" as it has heaps of tiny bits off shell in it, the normal lime sand is a bit too powdery.

#31 Danny_Boy

Danny_Boy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

one word.... WOW!

That is a superb tank smile.gif I'm jealous as hell, but I certainly don't envy the maintenance, especially with the volume of fish in it.

Maybe thats something for me for the future once I've got my own house (renting at the moment and would dread having to move it!)

#32 ibm450

ibm450
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

any more pics? any1? hows all your king sized projects going?

#33 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

That's one hell of a bump smile.gif Den has shut down most of his tanks...

#34 nick05

nick05
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

I actually have this thread saved, seem as tho it's been bumped I might as well mention,
Den this was one hell of a tank.. love it..

#35 ibm450

ibm450
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

lol...yeah i really had to move the junk in the booty to make a bump after 3 yrs of last post...smile.gif

is beach sand a good substrate to use or coarse crushed limestone? i think ive read somewhere in this forum that a certain place in jandakot sells 25kg bags real cheap

#36 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (ibm450 @ Apr 1 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think ive read somewhere in this forum that a certain place in jandakot sells 25kg bags real cheap

Look up

CIM - Cooks Industrial minerals,

Phone: 9417 1111
Lot 21 Cutler Rd, Jandakot.

they have samples in the office when you get there, the one I got is the lime sand but you gotta ask for the "extra course stuff with shells in it" as it has heaps of tiny bits off shell in it, the normal lime sand is a bit too powdery.

#37 ibm450

ibm450
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

wink.gif cheers

#38 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

Last time I seen this tank it was about 6 months ago set up at Bent street Deli, opposite safety bay boat ramp, it was looking nicely maintained. Somewhere here is a 10foot malawi setup thread I did a few years back which had twice as many fish as this 8 foot setup.

Thats the same place in jandakot I got the sand from, though its useless for growing plants.

I still have a 10 foot tank thats current setup with PBass, photos are in the tankbusters section.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#39 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:45 PM

Would love to know what happened to these fish
Labeotropheus trewavasae, they are stunning.

#40 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:42 PM

The large orange male trewasse was killed, I think he took an unlucky hit in the gills by the other male, but I did manage to breed them many times so their decendants should be around Perth, in fact I think there were some decendants in the tank when I last saw it at the dehli.

By the time I had the 10 foot going the population grew to 200-300 fish, 2 cuckoos turned into 30 sub adults, a dozen acei grew into shoals of over 60, considering I sold over 90% of the offspring, what was in the tank was just small leftovers, the fish were breeding out of control and they put the filters and water quality under too much pressure, I was doing 25% water changes every day and I was bearly on top of it, in the end it got too full on, so I sold them all and changed the setup to low population of SA's I think from memory.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users