8.5x2x2 even more bloody pics - 14pics dial up warning

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:35 PM

Hi All

Hope you aren't getting bored with all these pics, I have a bit of a delema, my tank is overcrowded and although up till recently the tank was a fine eutopia, lately as the fishes are growing larger the overcrowding seems to be increasing and taking a toll on stress levels, so I have decided to remove between 10 to 20 fish, my only problem is I can't decide which ones to get rid of?

I'm think definitly the persipex and aurora's should go which is about 6 fish, any other suggestions?

Cheers
Den

This one stays!

#2 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Mate i never get tired at looking at your photo`s ,theres some there i really like and i dont know what they are yet :oops:

1. the one in the 6th picture down which is slender like a maingio and has a black body with light blue horizontal stripes and also a light blue stripe at the top of its dorsal fin(does both sexes of this colour up?)

2. In the same pic a very dark black looking malawi with just a few blue marks near the top of its head(again does both sexes of this colour up?)

Thanks for your help laugh.gif

#3 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

Hi Scat

The fish in pic 6 with the blue horizontal stripes is a maingano and the black fish with the neon blue marks near the head is a Pseudotropheus Elongatus "neon spot" he didn't come out very nice in the photo there is really more neon blue colouring in real life. My maingano females colour up similar to males but have less black. The elongatus females are similar to males but usually fade to grey instead of black when males are around (an act of submission I think)- actually just to the upper left of him with the black dorsal strip I think is one of the females.

PS. I still have some maingano babies for sale if anyone is after any.

Regards
Den

#4 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

Den I think that alpha fuelli should go. Coincidentally I know someone who has just set up a Malawi display. I'm sure it would look super in it laugh.gif

Andrea smile.gif

#5 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for that den, I thought it was a maingano but seemed more deeper coloured ,anyway wish i could start getting some fish off you but have slowed down getting my 7ft for a few weeks as i got impatient and bought a 2ft and a 4ft!

laugh.gif laugh.gif

#6 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:37 PM

Hey Scat

If you let me know what you are after I can hold it for you, my fish are always breeding so there will be a whole new bunch of new fish in next month or so.

Lol Merjo, I think I have found a solution, I think I'm gonna be getting a bigger tank!

Cheers
Den

#7 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the offer Den it is appreciated .At this stage i only have some idea of what i want to stock and am still researching(gradually laugh.gif )

Am after malawai`s that both sexes get good colouration rather that just the male being nice and having a bland female.

Definately am keen on those Pseudotropheus Elongatus "neon spot and the maingano`s

Cheers laugh.gif

#8 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

Hi Scat

I just may have 4 neon spot babies ready in about a month, these guys have pretty small mouthfulls, thats probably why they are expesive, only 4 babies produced since I got them last year, mind you I have left a few holding females in the display tank a little too long and babies got eaten:cry:

By the way I just ordered an 11ft 2.5x2.5 tank today so not only is my over crowded delema getting solved I can also squeeze even more fish in soon! yay! laugh.gif I think I'm gonna have to get a very wide camera lense 8O .

Cheers
Den

#9 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

laugh.gif

#10 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:09 PM

Holy Crap Mate!! 8O 8O Soon you will conducting tours through your house on a esculator like at hillary`s marina!!

Anyway can you please give me the scientific name of those neons so i can look them up and see what they are like cause i will be very interested in that thank you very much laugh.gif laugh.gif

#11 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

hey den
what are you gonna do with your 8.5'. If you sell it, im sure theres going to be plenty of fights over it. biggrin.gif
id have to work for 2 months before i could afford it. Man how i wish i was a doctor or some rich person. sad.gif

#12 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:53 PM

Just re-read my dumb answer Den :oops: Yes i would love those neon spot babies please laugh.gif

#13 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:40 PM

My friends and parents are gonna be pissed off when they start coping the $10 entry fee to get into my house.

I'm keeping the 8.5x2x2, I think I might set up a pair of Motoro's or a Super Red arowana in there, oohhh too many choices, if there was an emoticon that drooled litres of spit I'd put it after that sentence. :?

Scat I haven't given you a price yet on those neon spots, it may scare you off? These fish are pretty rare, in my opinion they are the bomb when it comes to elongatus, jet black and neon blue, bloody beaut. I paid $35 bucks each for 2.5cm babies and had to get them flown in from Sydney. I can offer them to you for $15 each. If you are still interested let me know and I will hold them for you.

By the way Scat please have a rethink of your comment:
"I am after malawi`s that both sexes get good colouration rather that just the male being nice and having a bland female"

With this attitude you will be missing out on some of the best fish Malawi has to offer (peacocks and nearly all of the sand and weed dwellers) nice silver colourless females have their own beauty and at very least provide a nice contrast to the more colourful males. You'll end up with nothing but aggressive rock dwellers otherwise, you should rethink it mate.

Cheers
Den

#14 Matthew

Matthew
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for that den, I thought it was a maingano but seemed more deeper coloured ,

Just a thought on this.
I believe comfortable Maingano should be near on black-with blue stripes- as pictured.
IMO you can tell alot by a fishes colouring or lack of..

~Matt.

#15 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hey Den ,Hold those neons for me mate the price seems very reasonable to me laugh.gif

With this attitude you will be missing out on some of the best fish Malawi has to offer

I understand your point but this is something that my wife wants also and you know how that goes :roll: laugh.gif

Will have to see some of these in real life rather than just pictures when it comes down to final choosing.

By the way maybe you should give your family a 10% discount off the entry fee to placate them laugh.gif

#16 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

No worries Scat,

Yes it is best to see fish in real life before you make any decisions.

Regards
Den

#17 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

when do you get the new 11fter?

and honestly how much cash do you have... wanan buy me a tank ahahah!

#18 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

Couple of weeks, I'll post up pics when I get it.

I'm not rich Blakey, I just have a few big tanks, buying a few really big tanks is cheaper than having 10-20 small ones- like many hobbiests here do.

Cheers
Den

#19 Matthew

Matthew
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:39 PM

hey den,
I've always admired your aquarium mate, one thing I really have to ask ..
can I be really rude though and ask what the hell do you do for a crust?
I mean I make a pretty decent living but, in my case, obviously theres alot of factors that matter, but what the heck is it that you actually do mate?

ie. not having that setup is F'ing killing me mate....

~Matt

#20 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

Matt that setup didn't cost alot, I just patiently made my purchases, when the right thing I wanted poped up at the right price I bought it.

P.S. I'm an inventor,marketer and production seter uperer, I also help other people turn their ideas & inventions into products, for a percentage of course.

Cheers
Den

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users