Photo

Tbs

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

That stuff is gone by the morning. There crap breaks down into that when feeding New Era Red Rift.

Water quality is fantastic on this new food!

Cant wait to move this tank to its new home :)

#22 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

It is amazing that new era breaks down like that. No more pig spirals of ray crap!

I haven't done a great deal of research into new era, why the decision on the red rift for rays? as apposed to the other available feed options.

#23 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Mainly because the most experienced person I know with rays said so haha..

There are occasional spirals but they are quickly broken down.

The amount of food you need to use is incredible. Easily half as much as carni. 

#24 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

I didn't know you had a Archer fish Sam.
Aegis New Era is used for rays and TB's also,,, and the catfish type pellet is fine to.
The 1.5mm moist pellet can be rolled with fingers into any size pellet.
New Era does a 6mm pellet which is readily ideal.
1.8kg buckets cost give or take,,,, $130 - $140,,, these prices will vary a touch.
Feeding frequency of New Era food compared to other mentioned commonly used premium products,, is only half.
So effectively the value of this food coming in the bucket is equivalent to 3.6kg.
Being that half as much is fed means less water fouling and extended periods before filter cleans.
Reasoning for New Era packing more punch is that it fits into a class of being cold pressed at 52'c.
Normal hard pellet undergoes a intense heating as part of its process,,,,, this ruptures the cells in the food expelling valuable nutrients.
New Era is at the warm end of cold pressing which leaves the cells in tact.
It's a little similar to a dogs diet being that a dog receives better nutrition out of raw foods.
I won't go into to much detail unless needed.
Lovers and distributors of other fish foods will always debate this, but New Era is a chosen food by vets and scientists that control public aquaria and zoos.
A lot of info can be viewed if googled, it's a world wide preference.

#25 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Not sure if it is photobucket or what? But just veiwed these pics on the work computer and they look pretty cruddy compared to when I uploaded them to the computer at home.

Ahh well.

#26 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the reply Buccal. Informative as always. My search for the perfect food continues, and hopefully new era will be that when I get around to giving it a crack. I like the sound of the cold press a lot. Hikari carnivore has been my go to food for many years. I can never see myself eliminating it all together though. But it does have its downfall, like price and the smell. Feed a lot of it and it stinks out the joint. Era is cheaper and less needs to be fed. Sounds great. Does it smell as much as carni? The 1.5mm pellet does seem a little small. Might need to employ someone to roll it into larger pellets! ;) 

Sam pics look good on my computer mate.

Edited by Peckoltia, 11 June 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#27 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Probably just this piece of s**t computer at the studio.

#28 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I just watched that first video again, I really like that ornatus. Not a fish I have been too fond of in the past, but a certainly a nice fish once they get some size.

#29 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yeah I don't think it will grow anymore. I think from what I've read they max at 30. But he is a bit over that I'm sure.

#30 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Buccal. Informative as always. My search for the perfect food continues, and hopefully new era will be that when I get around to giving it a crack. I like the sound of the cold press a lot. Hikari carnivore has been my go to food for many years. I can never see myself eliminating it all together though. But it does have its downfall, like price and the smell. Feed a lot of it and it stinks out the joint. Era is cheaper and less needs to be fed. Sounds great. Does it smell as much as carni? The 1.5mm pellet does seem a little small. Might need to employ someone to roll it into larger pellets! ;) 

Sam pics look good on my computer mate.

Comes in 6mm and is perfect for large fish.
1.5mm just needs a quick squeeze.
It's easier to get them on to it using squeezed 1.5mm,,, the bigger 6mm takes a bit of getting use to fr some individuals.
It has a sell like no other, hard to explain.
The pleco pellets smell great.

#31 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

I removed the driftwood a while ago to maximise floor space for the rays, but the tank was looking very bare so I choose to try add a couple of bits.

I drilled the piece on the left and attached it to the egg crate I feed through so bass dont damage their heads. I also found another piece that I had laying round for the right that sits up nicely still giving the rays plenty of swimming space.

null-27.jpg

I also added some fake plant I picked up from Morley aquariums. I have always hated fake plants in the past but there is no other option with these guys.

null-28.jpg

Glad I made the decision to give it a try. I will probably add one more piece to that corner I like it so much!

Also glad I could give this guy a home! Picked him up Saturday evening. Thank you for contacting me about him. Stunning fish with great character! Cheers Mark.

null-29.jpg

K3 filtration should be pretty much cycled and ready for the tank to be moved to its new insulated room and hooked up to the two tier rack.

null-31.jpg

null-30.jpg

I will also be building a hood and getting some black sheet metal bent at my housemates work to go around the stand as I won't need to get to the sump anymore as it will be going!!!!!

Edited by SamJohns, 25 June 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#32 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Looking good mate!

#33 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Shhhhhmick johns man :)

#34 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

when the geos going in those tanks?

#35 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

When they pair off :)

#36 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

well both the dovii are watching eachother through there perspex divider atm and both dig up there area both picking it up and spitting it out at same time like they are a mirror image of one another lol.. digging it up at the back of the tank and coming to the front to spit the rocks out

Edited by TheTexasCichlidMasacre, 26 June 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#37 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Cool. Yeah they looked like spawning before I sold them to you.

#38 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

BIG THANKS TO BOWDY HOOTON AND ICE!

Came round last night and helped me move the tank to its new home inside the now insulated half of the shed! Couldnt have done it with out you guys!

Chucked on a BBQ for the lads and was a good all round night!

null-35.jpg

null-36.jpg

#39 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

Looking good bro :)

#40 DavidK

DavidK
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Awesome looking rays and pbass!!