Photo

Happy Aus Day

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:30 PM

Ofc many heard of the plane tragedy and personally it's very kind to pay respect to the families. Even though some fireworks would have been a show!

Hope everyone had a good and safe day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:58 AM

very inconsiderate of those 2 people on the plane that crashed... over 300,000 people on the foreshores and an estimated 150,000 - 200,000 at vantage points all round perth have made the effort to show up and appreciate australia day... and they can the fireworks... first time in 33 years....  perhaps a minute of silence at the start to show your respect to the family and friends of the 2 deceased.... but people die every day why should these 2 people be so special.... what about the junkies that ODed today and people that died on our roads and people that got murdered today and the list goes on.... a life is a life - everybody should be treated equally.....no one life should be above another....   yes i know there was fuel from the plane spilt and could be a safety issue - but get the clean up crew in and contain the spill and let the show go on... 

very disappointed :(

#3 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:53 AM

Does that mean fireworks will be kept for next year? Saves a lot of tax payers money... wonder what they'll use the savings on..

Btw it's not like the two ppl on the plane wanted to crash and cancel the fireworks. If anything blame city of perth. Bit rude and insensitive to say that it's their fault. You never know who reads these forums and it could be family members etc.

Edited by chocky, 27 January 2017 - 02:55 AM.

#4 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:38 AM

Apparently Those people that died were part of the crew that organized the event, so not just "any people"..

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

I agree with Johnno. Half of WA turned up and stuck out a hot as F day.
I don't see who benefits from cancelling.

#6 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

http://dailym.ai/2kyofnA

Well I'm sure half of perth still enjoyed their day off and a full esky.

Its just fireworks... :|

#7 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

I thought or assumed they still had to recover wreckage and anything in it at that point as well?

I agree was a shame to not have it but lobbed over to Bassendean and good turnout there. Was so glad to get clear of traffic at end as people everywhere. Luckily most cars taking it easy.

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

Johno, I find your comments a little disturbing and very insensitive. 2 people died. Water Police need to preserve what's left of the area of impact.

Yes people die every day, but is it in front of thousands of families? Don't think so. And it's only fireworks.

Think about the discussion some parents had with their kids after that. I wouldn't like to be part of that discussion with my 5yo. Maybe show a little bit of concern for others next time.

A couple of people I work with helped the Water Police pull the bodies out of the water yesterday. I'm glad I wasn't working yesterday.

This is not a shot at you, I just find your comments a little surprising considering how nice of a person you are.

Anyway, hope everyone had a good day yesterday  :)

#9 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

Lol...its very Australian to show respect for people who have died. Ironic that people are complaining that the incident stopped them celebrating Australia Day when it fact it gave people an opportunity to display Australian culture through showing respect instead of just acting like a lout.

Sounds like you should go to fremantles one day johnno with all the other twits that think the day is all about them.

#10 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

I don't get how pressing the button equals disrespect. If someone had come out and said "Lynchy would have wanted the show to go on" everyone would have teared up at the thought of the show being something of a tribute and the sentimentalists would be claiming it's amazingly super Australian.
some dill wants to fly his plane on the river trying to impress his bird and makes a mess of it. Excuse me for not losing sleep over it. But because of his loutishness the whole stuffing city has to act upset, pack their stuff and go home early.
The worst of it is, this hoon put others at risk... It's ok though because the ichthyocentaurs was in an airplane. If he was in a commodore ute he would have been labelled a complete prick.

#11 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

Worst bit most fireworks don't keep to well over time... luckily I don't pay tax yet...

#12 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

Johno, I find your comments a little disturbing and very insensitive. 2 people died. Water Police need to preserve what's left of the area of impact.

no offence taken.... i understand where your coming from with your reply.... i was brought up old school... not like some of the sensitive , politically correct , so easily offended pussies of today.... no offence intended to anyone here , nor is it directed toward anyone here....

had some feedback - whether or not its actually true or not dont quote me... but family and friends of one of the deceased wanted the fireworks to go ahead..... the area could of been cordoned off from public and fuel spill contained but it was decided not to go ahead for safety reasons..... not the fact 2 people died and in respect for them.... 

as far as trauma goes for people who saw the plane crash up close and personally , im not a fully qualified shrink to really know how this will effect the sensitive , politically correct  , so easily offended pussies of today but for me its no different to arriving first on the scene of a horrific car crash with body parts and dead people strewn all over the road.... it kicks the adrenaline in and you do your best to help , and when its over you go back to your own life and life goes on.... 

with the exposure of all sorts of chemicals to the human body mental illness is on the increase and to be honest if you dont have some sort of mental illness you seem to be the odd one out these days :)  

Sounds like you should go to fremantles one day johnno with all the other twits that think the day is all about them.

sorry mate who would want to mix with fremantle docker supporters.... 

#13 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

The worst of it is, this hoon put others at risk... It's ok though because the ichthyocentaurs was in an airplane. If he was in a commodore ute he would have been labelled a complete prick.

I don't know if I would call him a hoon and reckless until its been investigated.  

He was putting on a show as part of the sky works as they do every year and had volunteered his time (1940's private plane/private pilot), its not like he was ripping up the coast and thought this would be a laugh.  The reports in the news so far include him being concerned before the flight about the temperatures (poor lift performance and poor engine performance when hot) along with the river being so flat with no wind (chop on the surface helps break the surface tension to take off again in a float plane).  News reports also say that when he was coming through for a touch and go on the river there was another aircraft in front of his path that shouldn't of been there.  Was the steep turn just him going back for another pass and hooning?  Avoiding collision with another aircraft or boats at the end of the run?  Surprise at the 4 tonne 1946 plane wasn't pulling up in the 40++ heat?

I'd be surprised if the verdict is intentional recklessness, more likely a chain of events that compounded ending in a very sad way.  

I remember early on flying practicing stalls thinking that someone would have to be really stupid to get into that attitude in a plane as it feels wrong every step of the way.  Years later buzzed a friend in a harvester on a hot summer day, looking over my shoulder having a laugh I found myself in exactly that position at 500 feet with the stall alarm blaring.  I was lucky i was in something light and fibreglass with a big engine to pull out of it.

On a side note, I didn't realise till all of this the river is only just over a meter deep in the middle there??  Is that true?

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

On a side note, I didn't realise till all of this the river is only just over a meter deep in the middle there??  Is that true?

This is taken from the Nautical Chart produced by the Department of Transport:

Attached File  perth water.JPG   169.53KB   5 downloads

Depths are shown in metres and decimetres, reduced to Sounding Datum, which is approximately lowest water level.

#15 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:22 AM

the river is very shallow in general and is actually dredged in a lot of places to make it safer for boating etc... 

there are sections of river that are 20-21 meters in depth... good mulloway fishing spots at certain times of the year if you know where they are :)  ......

#16 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

I have seen photos of the transit ferry actually making a pretty decent left hand wave (depending on which way it was headed) on the bank it runs next to, it was a really low tide that day.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users