Photo

2500 L Tank

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:01 AM

I've had engineers certification in Sydney for 19mm on 900 high tank for general public use - (it was for in a restaurant in Darling Harbour)... but had to be construction grade silicone - not general or contractors... would personally recommend black silicone too - it is less permeable to water imo, so it lasts longer...

one front panel alone weighs about 100kg....the whole thing will weigh about 400kg..... mmmm Ill have to think hard about whether Id make it..... let me know if you want a quote - talk to me directly wink.gif

Cheers
Oliver

Edited by Mr_docfish, 09 April 2011 - 12:07 AM.

#22 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:30 AM

i was gona build it my self only the front piece will be glass

#23 SIXFOOTLONG

SIXFOOTLONG
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (tranced @ Apr 8 2011, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
isnt toughened glass bad, as one small chip and BAM there goes the whole sheet?

yeah thats toughened mate. but when you do the lammi one side is plate one side is float still smashes but holds together

toughened has higher strength property's but low impact property's

Edited by SIXFOOTLONG, 09 April 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#24 SIXFOOTLONG

SIXFOOTLONG
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Apr 9 2011, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had engineers certification in Sydney for 19mm on 900 high tank for general public use - (it was for in a restaurant in Darling Harbour)... but had to be construction grade silicone - not general or contractors... would personally recommend black silicone too - it is less permeable to water imo, so it lasts longer...

one front panel alone weighs about 100kg....the whole thing will weigh about 400kg..... mmmm Ill have to think hard about whether Id make it..... let me know if you want a quote - talk to me directly wink.gif

Cheers
Oliver

what type of glass was to be used?

#25 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

Clear float

#26 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

okbit of a rethink here if i use a smaller viewing window on the front and make the rest ply \ fiberglass construction can i stick with 12mm ?

#27 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

Personally I would stick with 19mm minimum. Huge tankbusters behind 12mm would probably be OK but would always worry me. One panel is only going to cost as much as one or two big fish!

If you want to go 12mm with a smaller height of just the glass portion then make sure the glass panel is mounted at the top :>

#28 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (werdna @ Apr 8 2011, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAA's 2m x 1m x 1m tanks are made out of 19mm.

Hell Yeah!

Edited by Jason82, 15 April 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#29 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

Hey mate

If you are going to get serious about this, especially building a few of them. Think outside the square. Get in contact with some acrylic places in china. Most of them are very professional, you will just need to organize a sea container.

Alex

#30 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

olley at aquotix will give you a guarantee as well - will other tank builders stand behind their guarantee ?????

when i decide to have a monster tank - i dont want a monster amount of water on the floor ever!!!! regardless of what any insurance company thinks about glass thickness....

is getting that cheaper tank that may not be built properly really worth saving a few bucks... i bet your insurance has an excess and i bet it dont come to the party on everything that gets damaged....

you'll be a long way out of pocket if you get a broken tank full of water... 2000 liters of water is 2 tonnes of H2O and it goes a long way through your house !!!!!

You can sleep well if you use 19mm glass, we have done many of these over the years just dont go over 1000mm high. We also have done our fair share of public tanks, the Raffles hotel 3000mm x1000mm x1000mm all in 19mm and of course you could go thicker. As well the tank we did at the Waikiki shopping center, 3500mmx1500mm wide x1000mm high 25mm glass. Food for thought . Also we have done this for many years. If you are going to do this get it done right, insurance company love loop holes. as we said we are here to help cheers paul biggrin.gif

#31 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

my only worry is with glass that thick everything would have a green tinge to it.

its not to bad at all infact with good lights which you would need any way its quite good. most of our displays are 19mm. best example is the coral selling tank good lights crystal clear. tongue.gif

#32 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

The display tank at Waikiki SC doesn't have a green tinge to it IMO.

#33 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

The tank at the raffles doesn't look green ether. It looks bloody awesome. You done a crackin job of that Paul.
Cheers.

cheers it was a bitch to get in position, and having beer goggles helps alot tongue.gif

#34 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hehe and beer goggles at $14 a pint isn't cheap ether smile.gif

#35 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hey mate, I might have a couple of 8'x4' acrylic panels 30mm thick I'd consider selling. PM me if interested

#36 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

ok ive done a bit of hunting around on glass vs acrylic it seems the later is lots and i mean lots cheeper so it looks like acrylic is the way to go am looking at going 25mm does any one have any thoughts on this at all

#37 bobby dazzla

bobby dazzla
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

IMO I would go glass if you are keeping this tank for a while. Never had dealings with acrylic but don't like the idea of it scratching and marking easily, especially for big tank busters. Would be a PITA to go to all this effort if it looks average a year later

#38 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Just remember an acrylic surface can be polished clear, flour grade sand paper or toothpaste works.

#39 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

Anything happening with this?

#40 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

...guess not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users