Photo

c.leptosoma and L.ocellatus golds

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 geemaril

geemaril
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 12:46 AM

would leptos be a good addition to a lamprologus ocellatus gold tank. the tank is 6x2x2 with an aragonite base and strong filtration. there will probably be about 20 golds and hopefully 8 leptos.

would this work or will the leptos get mauled?
cheers :good
Elliot

#2 urodacus

urodacus
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 12:48 AM

Should be fine as long as theyre not 10mm fry ;)
Id get more leptos though, 15 would be a good sized school, even more if you can do it.

Cheers
Jordan

#3 Lee Hodge

Lee Hodge
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 01:05 AM

should be fine, although, as jordan said u would be better off having around 15 leptos, the more the merrier!

lee

#4 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 17 December 2003 - 01:38 AM

I've kept the occies with not leptos but Paracyprichromis which are similar. IME the occies did not bother even the small nigripinnis fry in that large tank. Possibly the greater depth of the tank meant they kept out of the way of each other... ;)

So, yes, I think it would work..

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#5 geemaril

geemaril
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 01:48 AM

i will probably eventually get even 2 but apparently theyre 100 bucks each, so when ive got 2000 bucks spare i might splurge a bit.lol
i had no idea nigripinnis were compatable with occies. because i was tossing up between leptos and paras. looks like i can get both 8) :good :good
thanxs for the speedy replies
also are there any other nice looking cyps that can be aquired in perth?

#6 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 01:49 AM

Hi,
I had P. nigripinnis and gold occies together and the occies left them alone - however the paras ate the occie fry. The tank was considerably smaller than yours is though.

wys

#7 geemaril

geemaril
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 02:09 AM

sweet.
im currently in the constuction stages of floating fry nets that can be hooked on the inside of the tank so the occie fry wont be eaten.
do you know if the paras ate the fry while they were still inside the shell or only pick em off after they had been evicted by the mother?

#8 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 03:40 AM

Both - the paras can extend their mouth into like a funnel and inhale things that are surprisingly large.

wys

#9 chuckmeister

chuckmeister
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 05:32 AM

Its my opinion that 20 occelates (10 pair) in your tank will eventually be very difficult to manage:eek If you choose a strong filtration I'd direct flow to the surface of the tank as my leptos and 'little' occies dont really like a strong current. I'm a little bit at a loss as to 'why so many occies' in one tank. If you were trying to corner/flood the market you would be better off putting them paired into 2 foot tanks. If its just to have a shell dweller tank it severely limits what can be put in particularly as your asking already what you can add to the tank. Best of luck. I'm looking forward to seeing if this works or not :smokin

Charlie

#10 geemaril

geemaril
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:42 AM

good advice
that 2260 does create one hell of a current, i guess i could adjust it slightly.
so would 2 male and 3 female ocellatus golds be enough to buy a colony of leptosoma and nigripinnis a little further down the track or would i be waiting years for enough cash?

also, i havent found any sites that say how ocellatus go with plants, does their digging uproot them or not too much damage done?

just a couple of pairs would probably be better due to the overflow in fry numbers.;) (hopefully lol)

ive also checked the price of occelatus golds and they go for like $25 each , so howcome nobodys filthy rich of breeding em seeing they have like 30 babies a time??? :?

thanx
Elliot

#11 Bristle nose catfish

Bristle nose catfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 05:58 PM

Considering The occies and the leptosoma dont like strong current wouldnt it be a better idea to put something else on your 6 footer?

B.

Edited by: Bristle nose catfish at: 12/17/03 10:01 am

#12 Bristle nose catfish

Bristle nose catfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 05:59 PM

Noones filthy rich breeding Occies because everyone is trying to breed Yellows :rolleyes :rolleyes , which i think eventually the market will be flooded ></span>: . I guess also not many people can be botherd growing up the Occies if they have that many because occies tend to grow pretty slow. Ill be interested to see if you can sell enough occies to get a colony of Nigripinnis and leptosoma. If i was you ide get more than just 2m and 3f if you want to produce enough fry in a short amount of time to afford your Nigs and leptosoma's.

Also i haven't heard anywhere that plants arent a good option with occies.

Cheers B. ;)

#13 geemaril

geemaril
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:26 PM

ok.....
thanx for quoting everyone in this thread blake everyone loves mongrel posts and also posting 2 threads in a row is a cheap way of getting your posts up when you could just click edit on your first post :bd .

occies can apparently be grown to full size in a 30 gal whereas yellows need at least a 55 gal and 6-8 months growing time to get some decent size on em. if provided with a complete diet occies will be saleable in 3 months which aint too bad considering the tank size.

also what plants can flourish in sand? am i limited to the species that absorb nutrients from the H20 column or what?

thanx
Elliot

#14 Sith

Sith
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:34 PM

But i believe its a hell of alot easier to get yellows to breed rather then occys.. i know it is for me. Dam shellies need to start doing the tango!

#15 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:54 PM

Elliot I have bred occies and yellows, yellows don't take long at all to breed smallest i have bred them is 4-5cm. The yellows will also produce much MORE fry. The occie fry are need more effort to feed compared to electric yellows. When electric yellows are released from the female you can feed them crush flake straight away. ;)

3 months for occies to grow to sale size.... most shops want them at min 3cm most like 4cm that will take a little while. Yellows will grow much faster if kept in the right conditions :good

Good Luck with your choice. :)

#16 urodacus

urodacus
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 10:09 PM

P nigripinnis arent that expensive, if you get them privately you can pick them up for $25-30 pretty easily. Same goes for the leptos, you can get some of the more common varients for the same price. You'll only pay $100 for fish like C leptosoma 'kibishi' and 'mbita', the rarer varients. Go for some 'mpulungu' or 'utinta' and it shouldnt break the bank. Get them privately if you can aswell, alot cheaper than retail.

Cheers
Jordan

#17 geemaril

geemaril
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:56 PM

thanx everyone... i just looove being proved wrong lol
i was just going with a case that i had earlier with my cousins fish. hes got yellows and their taking what seems like ages to grow from fry, like 4 months and theyre still 1.5 cm. would this slow growth be soley dependent on the fact that he feeds em nothin but flakes??? :?
does anyone know where i can get hold of some utinta?

#18 Bristle nose catfish

Bristle nose catfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2003 - 04:57 PM

I was right and you were wrong Elliot :bd :rollin :rollin

B.

#19 geemaril

geemaril
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:35 PM

dont even let me get started on you blake or thisll go on for about 3 pages:bd :nsg :nsg :evil

#20 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 18 December 2003 - 06:41 PM

Firstly, you should just keep and breed fish that you like. If you start out wanting to make money you'll end up disappointed. The reason more ppl breed yellows is that occies do not sell as well as yellows, take longer to grow, and are harder to raise from babies.

A typical store may sell 100 yellows for every occie sold.. You'd need to take that into account as it will be very rare for a shop to want 100 occies at a time.. Thats why having a huge occie colony is probably not worth it...

Just pick species that you are interested in - that is probably the better angle to go from... then you can start thinking about breeding and trade ins etc later on... :)

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users