Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

What to do when your Tankbusters get too big!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

Ive had a 70cm wobbygong, smash through coverglass and jump out, he survived and was fine untill it bit my favorite fish so i traded it, and i had a 110cm pregnant catshark jump out aswell, i think the egg she was carrying ruptured inside her and killed her, she only lasted around 24hrs after the great escape, both fish smashed through 6mm glass. Coverglass isnt always the answer to keeping monsters in there tanks

#62 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

I have 12mm cover glass on my 8x3. Not many fish can smash it, but if they do they get some nasty injuries. She had big wounds down one side, and a badly smashed face.

#63 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:44 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe the mods should lock this post, its turning into an argument

I agree - there is deliberate intent to antagonize.

#64 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

(hemiking)
i find these days kids have more guts than adults. my son is 17. he reckons there is nothing wrong about eating fish out of tank. unless ur a woos

I'm 17 and I must admit, my fish do look tasty but I'm unsure if I would serve them up on a plate, I guess that makes me a woos? lol

#65 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

No - it makes you, you. Im feel the same way and I am old enough to be your dad.

#66 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

I think that almost anybody who raises fish to 95cm in length is fairly serious about their hobby.

I would have also thought that anyone who was on the "Moral High Ground" with keeping tankbusters in appropriate size tanks wouldn't be keeping a fish in a tank that is narrower than the body length of the fish. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with you eating your fish, or keeping it in a tank that size.... but blatant hypocrisy does irritate me a bit.

In regards to the uncovered lionfish, this does happen occasionally. However, what concerns me much more (in terms of child safety) is the number of times I have to stop kids running around glass tanks on often wet floors while their parents don't seem to care - even with signs up warning not to run or play in the store. There is a disturbing amount of people with kids who don't seem to care what they're doing.

#67 spud

spud
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hi Alex, How are you going? Holding up alright? :roll: Just one question, when you said "I'll eat my big colony of frontosa next" , are they burundies? If so, they don't taste all that good but blue zaire moba, now your talking. :wink: Let us know, that carton of beer is still sitting here ageing! Maybe we should do a poll "would you eat your pet fish", 8O 8O Perhaps the mods could set this one up. My answer would be, yes, of course there is nothing wrong in doing so and it's my choice. smile.gif

cheers spud

#68 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

"Moral High Ground" :roll:
lol!! thats funny!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#69 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

[quote="pacco"][quote]

In regards to the uncovered lionfish, this does happen occasionally. However, what concerns me much more (in terms of child safety) is the number of times I have to stop kids running around glass tanks on often wet floors while their parents don't seem to care - even with signs up warning not to run or play in the store. There is a disturbing amount of people with kids who don't seem to care what they're doing.[/quote]

Not going off topic, But I agree with you on this one, Ive worked in a couple of shops, And the amount of times you have to say, "Dont run you'll slip over or Please dont BANG on the tanks, it can kill the fish"

One day I had a woman go right off at me because I told her one not to bang on the tank, I tried to tell her why you shouldnt do it, but she didnt care. I just walked off. She told my boss, he told her to get out. laugh.gif

Anyway, back on topic,
Ho was everyone's fish today?
I had fresh couta, stripies and some flathead, I have saved the cry for tmrw, my sons will enjoy that with me.
All caught yesterday.. mmmm beautiful

#70 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

ah yes, if I had $1 for everytime I've said "please don't run in the store" or "Don't bang on the tanks, you'll scare the fish" I would be living in my own Mansion on Mars.

Back on topic.

I'm told that Clown Loaches make good eating, mine jumped out of my tank recently, but I didn't eat him, I put the dead fish (at the time) in an isolation tank, woke up the next morning and he was swimming around, stronger then ever biggrin.gif

#71 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:55 AM

(pacco)
I think that almost anybody who raises fish to 95cm in length is fairly serious about their hobby.

I would have also thought that anyone who was on the "Moral High Ground" with keeping tankbusters in appropriate size tanks wouldn't be keeping a fish in a tank that is narrower than the body length of the fish. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with you eating your fish, or keeping it in a tank that size.... but blatant hypocrisy does irritate me a bit.

In regards to the uncovered lionfish, this does happen occasionally. However, what concerns me much more (in terms of child safety) is the number of times I have to stop kids running around glass tanks on often wet floors while their parents don't seem to care - even with signs up warning not to run or play in the store. There is a disturbing amount of people with kids who don't seem to care what they're doing.

Good chance you haven't seen the 12' diam kiddie pool in my backyard.... ill reply to the rest of this later.

Take it easy!

#72 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:30 AM

:roll: laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif :roll:

#73 MrKrissKross

MrKrissKross
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

Just wondering what you fed that thing mate! I wouldn't want to think I was eating fish pellets!

#74 Dramat1c

Dramat1c
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:24 AM

Wow this post is interesting! tongue.gif

When my mum walked into my room and saw my blue dolphin, she said "wow tat fish looks tasty, I wouldn't mind eating it". It died couple of days later and when I looked at it, it's really pretty and did looked tasty. However I didn't eat it coz I have memories with it and I felt sorry for it.

Anyway I fully understand your view Peckoltia, I don't agree/disagree with you, as long as you are happy about it tongue.gif It's interesting to see people having different thoughts and this is why we are unique tongue.gif I really like this topic as there's no right or wrong. There's nothing related to morals, passon, etc. I reckon this is just purely personal preference. As this is a forum I think this is a place where everyone can express their ideas freely and they should be respected and shouldn't be criticised (i.e. shouldn't give Peckoltia a hard time)

haha again I will never eat my fish even I have passion for eating too tongue.gif

#75 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

(MrKrissKross)
Just wondering what you fed that thing mate! I wouldn't want to think I was eating fish pellets!

White bait, Squid, Pilchards, prawns and various fish fillets. I would also feed it live yabbies as a treat.

#76 ozjayok

ozjayok
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

I spent countless dollars raising this fish etc etc. I figured I may as well see what it tastes like?

laugh.gif

#77 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

I just had to add this!

http://www.aquarticl...lown_Knife.html

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#78 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

I'm sure my lopis wouldnt taste too different to the CK! yummy!!!

#79 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Where's ya pics gone Alex :(

#80 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

7 years ago & you bumped it  :Rofl_3f:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users