Photo

Aquaponics Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm looking at starting a system that provides the odd slow food dinner. Still trying to work out the required parameters needed to get the fish up to eating size. Can anyone tell me how many litres of water are needed in the pond to grow 5 - 10 barra/perch/trout to big enough for a decent meal?

#2 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

a bloke called murray hallam on the east coast has some great videos on his systems and set up. you could google his site or vids. well worth a watch if you are setting up a new system.

usually it depends how quickly the nitrates and ammonia are being removed to the amount of water required. then how large are you growing them.

trout dont like hot weather.

#3 Luke134

Luke134
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

For all your aquaponics information:

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/

Oh, and barramundi hate cold weather just as much as trout hate cold weather. You can get a longer growing season by starting your trout in a cool tank/in-ground pond in March/April while your summer fish crop is still growing, and getting some small barramundi growing in a heated indoor tank in July/August and then putting them outside in November/December (once pond temp is over 24C) once you've harvested your trout

#4 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

Cheers fellas, those videos are great, and plenty of info on BYAP. I'm amazed at the recommended stocking rates, you'd never get away with that in the aquarium. Not cheap to get it set up, but once I can convince myself to shell out, I'm looking at a 1000L system. Looking forward to casting a line in the backyard next year.

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Have you had a look at "Werdna's AP Thread" http://www.perthcich...showtopic=41952

#6 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

That's a real neat looking setup. Pity about the oxygen starving, I don't use air pumps in my aquariums but I can see how important they are in these systems.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

I just reread that thread. Really good info.

Must be time for an update of that thread i reckon Werdna.

#8 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

One day.
Murray's stocking rates are absolute BS
1 fish per 10L is ludicrous.
You want 25 fish per 500L of media. Never more than that.
You don't need expanded clay as media, pea gravel and blue metal work just as well.

The stocking rates aren't that different to fish tanks when you compare filter media volume.

I would recommend backyard aquaponics over murrays forum for info.
Look up the ibc of aquaponics on the byap forum. Its over 100 pages of working systems, info, everything. All sourced, compiled and hosted for free by Joel at byap in Jandakot.

Barra you need advanced fingerlings, and they are sooks. I am doing silver perch at the moment, 50 in my 2000L tank.
Will also handle another 25 rainbow trout over winter.
The fish are cheap, generally around $1.25ea plus $25 del. Barra cost more, from $3 to $12ea depending on supplier, availability etc.

Any questions, ask :)

#9 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

his densities are inflated and i suspect his growth rates are too, like the look of some of his setups though. found his vids on a dodgy download site but thought they were worth a gander as he covers a few over the basic bases well........ still cant believe he has corn and a pawpaw tree growing in his systems.

just goin through the backyard aqu. vids now, cheers for the link

#10 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Thank Werdna, I was leaning towards conservative stocking early on. Need the budget o recover a bit from Chrissy and a mate wedding before I shell out, but gives me plenty of time to do homework. Looking at putting it together in early-mid Feb, and putting some trout in once it cools down some. Probably go 1000L tank and 500L grow bed to start. Where do you source your fish?

#11 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

Ferguson springs.
Gavin is his name.
Top bloke, and a wealth of knowledge on rainbow trout and silver perch.
He breeds the perch by hormone injection, something I have always wanted to try, so we always end up spending way too long chatting :)

And he drives all the way to your front door from bunbury to deliver for only $25

#12 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Question IMO should be Aquaponics everyone?

Whatever werdna says. +1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Cheers Ivan.

Long time no see. Was it tapatalk that brought you back?
How is the system going?

#14 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

I have been really busy with work so have not been on any forums for a long while. The system has also been neglected so not much growth happening. I hope to change that next year. Although having Tapatalk support now is definitely a plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users