Photo

*new Updates* Mangrove Jack Thread

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#81 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

Finally took some average pics of my Mangrove Jack. One thing that has suprised me about this guy is how variable his colour can be over the course of a day. Usually kicks around in a pretty silvery/white colour with red in the fins, when he is feeding or a little pissed off he will go a deep red metallic colour, although I didn't really manage to capture this colour.

Probably about 20cm or so. An animal when it comes to feeding time, but doesn't hassel tank mates at all. Lives with mixed malawis.

Alex

#82 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

Nice one mate! Looks like he still hasn't filled out quite yet tongue.gif Hopefully he stays nice and peaceful for you, would be awesome to keep one in a community tank. Looks nice and healthy! No substrate??

#83 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:34 PM

Yeah no substrate in the tank its in. I don't usually run substrate in my tanks. Bare bottom on the way!

#84 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:38 PM

Fair enough man, why don't you run substrates? You're missing out on lots of cool behaviour, my jack digs and moves gravel and rocks and whatever the hell else is around to where he likes it. If you move stuff around he gets all shirty and moves it back. He even used to pick up odd shaped or coloured rocks and put them in a pile outside his log in the old tank. Not many odd ones in the new tank, its all black haha.

#85 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:44 PM

Unless you are running and undergravel filter it is just a good place to build up waste in. My tanks aren't really centred around pretty decor. I prefer to have the centre pieces of my tanks to be the fish. It's just my way of fish keeping, mostly started keeping pretty bare tanks with tankbusters that are very messy and inevitably hurt themselves on rocks/wood. There is another little MJ down at malaga I was considering grabbing that one too and trying my luck with two in the tank.

#86 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

It would sure as hell be an interesting experiment, cant help but think one of them would end up getting smashed though...

#87 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

Any updates for us Ice?

Alex

#88 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

Will try to get some new pics up soon dude! He's getting rather large though. The two remaining scats are still alive and kicking somehow haha.

#89 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

Nice one man, look forward to seeing the pics. Does yours change colour a lot over the course of the day? Mine is like a chameleon. Sometimes turns a white colour with different shades of gray and other times it is deep red/burgundy. Usually looks the best (red) while eating and straight after a water change, when excited.

#90 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

Sure does mate always changing colors, mines the same when feeding or excited but he gets white bars also. How big is yours now?

#91 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hasn't really gotten much longer. 20 - 22cm ish has gotten a lot taller /thicker lately.

Alex

#92 SIXFOOTLONG

SIXFOOTLONG
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

how is he going with the tank mates? do you think that its because you have a bare tank and there is not really a territory that he has nothing to protect ?

or do you think he is just well natured ?

#93 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

Still fine with the tank mates. Could just be because he is still pretty young or could be good natured... Time will tell though.

#94 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Well, here's the update for you guys.

Jack has now well and truly nudged over the 30cm mark and is healthier and more insane than ever, incredibly i've still got two scats doing quite well in the tank although he is bashing one of them around the tank as I type this. Unfortunately the smaller scat just didn't grow fast enough and it was only a matter of time before it became a play thing. Kind of like a kitten to a greyhound, didn't last a day once he figured it out. He proceeded to carry it around the tank for the entire day before devouring most of it in his driftwood fish lair.

Attached File  _MG_0146.jpg   175.68KB   58 downloads

Jack gets a diet of Massivore pellets, NLS Thera A (steals it from the scats even though they are tiny pellets), Aqwotix chilli red pellets and fresh seafood. Gets a 50% water change and a gravel vacuum every weekend. Tank as you can see is chockers with wood and 100% fresh water so not what some people would call ideal conditions for a jack but it's what i've had the most success with. Not sure if its because mine is from north Queensland and maybe they like different water parameters? Who knows!

Either way its the most intelligent and inquisitive fish i've ever come across and I still get surprised by some of the random stuff that he does. Here's a few photos of the big guy in all his glory. Enjoy.

Attached File  _MG_0592.jpg   183.62KB   41 downloads
Big beautiful lips.
Attached File  IMG_9690.JPG   141.76KB   58 downloads
Attached File  IMG_9699.JPG   109.23KB   74 downloads
Teeth just keep getting more and more nasty.

-Dave

Edited by ice, 23 November 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#95 changy

changy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

wow magnificent fish, look at the size of those chompers!

#96 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

Great update man, that Jack is looking 'red' hot! wink.gif Some serious teeth on that guy.

You obviously take great care of him, cheers for the update.

Alex

#97 Guest_speirsy_*

Guest_speirsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Thought you guys might like to see how big these guys get.
When I was living in Nth Qld we would catch the larger guys on the reef.

First Photo is a Jack on the SS Yongala wreck I snapped while diving it, approx 30m, notice how he is schooling with different species.

Attached File  ryan_yongala_039_edited.jpg   1.14MB   57 downloads

Second photo is an unfortunate one I came across while freediving/spearfishing, not trying to upset anyone just wanted to show how big they get.

*Mods feel free to remove if deemed inappropriate*

Attached File  Big_jack.JPG   100.64KB   80 downloads

Totally agree its a great fish with heaps of personality!!
Almost makes me want to get one myself...lol but I haven't tried the Malawi's yet smile.gif

Edited by speirsy, 06 December 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#98 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

Awesome stuff mate, I've seen how big they get first hand diving and fishing off barrow island in the north west of WA, I caught one up there around the 80cm mark. It was an absolute horse, thought I had a shark on the line haha. God knows what ill do if mine ever gets that big, indoor pond or something I suppose.... Skip the malawis mate, get yourself a jack smile.gif Or do what Alex has done and get both at the same time!

I think they school with other fish to try and get an easy meal and maybe even for safety, I used to see them quite often schooling with spanish flag and fingermark. I suppose they are all in the same family of fish though so maybe they are more comfortable with each other. Who knows!

#99 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Great pics mate. Not upsetting anyone with the pic of the dead jack. I do a lot of fishing too. Gotta eat! wink.gif

Took some more pics this morning, Jack is doing well. Still fairly placid in nature.

#100 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Looking good mate! He must think he's a Malawi haha smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users