Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Flash Pleco's Content

There have been 29 items by Flash Pleco (Search limited from 15-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#271246 Injured Fish - How Do I Help Him To Heal And Survive?

Posted by Flash Pleco on 12 December 2012 - 01:24 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Update: The little guy is fully healed and happy as Larry smile.gif

#268694 Injured Fish - How Do I Help Him To Heal And Survive?

Posted by Flash Pleco on 18 November 2012 - 11:30 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Thanks Poncho,

Very few other fish to hassle him due to a run of bad luck lately (clearly continuing with this, although maybe the tide has turned and he'll live!) and he's got himself into a little cranny that the others wouldn't fit.

I've only got a couple of harmless corydoras, a couple of swordtails, bristlenose cats and a single featherfin cat in a 300L tank so I wouldn't imagine anyone would bother him even if they could get to him. The featherfin is the only one really capable of damage and it's too big to get near him in his little nook.

Water is good too (not many fish to muck it up right now) but water change is due, last one was about 10 days ago.

#268676 Injured Fish - How Do I Help Him To Heal And Survive?

Posted by Flash Pleco on 18 November 2012 - 08:22 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Well I guess no answers means nobody had anything constructive to say so by deduction there was nothing I could do that I hadn't already.

Surprisingly the little guy is still with us. Hope things remain this way but I wouldn't say he's out of the woods yet, and I haven't seen him eat since it happened.

Fingers still crossed here...

#268547 Injured Fish - How Do I Help Him To Heal And Survive?

Posted by Flash Pleco on 16 November 2012 - 08:07 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Skipping the usual because this is mechanical injury so water conditions aren't relevant...

My poor little King Tiger Pleco got himself caught in some cotton that I'd used to tie plants to sinkers with and has a nasty injury. I had to cut the cotton off him - it went diagonally across his body like a seatbelt and his struggles to free himself had embedded it into his flesh. Not sure to what degree because he's only a wee little thing about 4-5cm long.

I immediately removed all the remaining sinkers I could find (yes I know, lesson learned!) and threw in some Stress Coat and Melafix to aid healing.

Is there anything else I can do for the little guy? Or is it just a waiting game now?

What are his chances? I initially thought he was dead and only realised he was alive when I went to fish him out and he struggled. As soon as I cut him free he swam off quite vigorously so he didn't seem far gone at that stage. He was still struggling a bit when I was trying to free him so I'm hoping that's a good sign. That was about 6pm and he's still alive now at 8pm but is panting quite fast.

#261905 New Tank Tomorrow And Need Advice Please

Posted by Flash Pleco on 12 September 2012 - 05:47 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Rams are dwarf cichlids and very peaceful and shy. All of your tetras/rasboras should be safe. I've kept rams with neons, cardinals and bumblebee gobies and they didn't bother tham at all.

They do get territorial when breeding but the worst they do is chase the others away from their eggs, and then help themselves to their own eggs while protecting them, the silly duffers.

Why not move the shrimp into the larger tank so they live with the rams and little fish?

#261804 Weird Lump/s On Bristlenose - Very Sick

Posted by Flash Pleco on 11 September 2012 - 06:57 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Sad news, he didn't make it after all. I fished his body out this evening. sad.gif

#261672 What Is The Best Way To....

Posted by Flash Pleco on 10 September 2012 - 07:29 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

I don't know about anyone else's experiences, but having changed from gravel to sand substrate, I find it is much harder to keep plants in place, possibly because the fish can relandscape it so much easier.

The sand moves around a lot - carefully sculpted hills vanish within a few days!

The grass isn't always greener on the other side! tongue.gif

#261628 Hi All! Farily New Cichlid Lover :)

Posted by Flash Pleco on 10 September 2012 - 02:32 PM in Introduce Yourself !

Lovely tank! Nicely set out and the rocks look great! I'm guessing you have a long 'air-snake' across the back? Love the bubble backdrop it creates smile.gif
I love the amazing colours of cichlids, but don't want to start adding tanks, some of my friends already called me "One of those weird fish people." I countered that I'm just a fish nerd cos I only have one tank!
I DO still have my old 120L in the garage though, and don't think I haven't thought about it! ohmy.gif

#261626 Weird Lump/s On Bristlenose - Very Sick

Posted by Flash Pleco on 10 September 2012 - 02:10 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

He has reappeared, lumpless, and is happily eating algae off the back wall of the tank. Go figure. Part of me is saying it's one of the smaller bristlenoses as a lump that size wouldn't just vanish in 24 hours but I've seen one of the other BNs and it was a lot smaller so this must be my big guy. Doesn't help that these guys are very good at hiding.

Wonder if he had a run-in with the synodontis. Weirdest thing I've ever encountered in fish keeping. blink.gif

BTW Fishking 123, there is always a bit of salt in my tank because I like my bumblebee gobies and keep my tank just a little brackish in preparation for the day I find some. I also think it helps to fight off/prevent diseases.

#261625 Red Devil Not Eating And Scared Of Pleco

Posted by Flash Pleco on 10 September 2012 - 01:53 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

I was thinking the same thing but too much of a newbie myself to say so! tongue.gif

Completely ignoring all advice and just adding random stuff...

#261510 Weird Lump/s On Bristlenose - Very Sick

Posted by Flash Pleco on 09 September 2012 - 04:40 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

I've lost him.

And I don't mean he died, I mean he appears to have vanished without trace! blink.gif

I searched the tank with a good torch this morning before I went out, and again when I got home this afternoon, and can't for the life of me find him!

How do you lose a 10cm bristlenose??

#261452 New To This Society But Experienced :-)

Posted by Flash Pleco on 08 September 2012 - 11:01 PM in Introduce Yourself !

Nice set up, what a heartbreak to part with it. sad.gif

#261446 Red Devil Not Eating And Scared Of Pleco

Posted by Flash Pleco on 08 September 2012 - 10:52 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

QUOTE (big red terror @ Sep 8 2012, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cleaning out the filter weekly wouldn't result in him stopping to eat. The first two weekends we cleaned out the filter and he was fine.

Actually I believe you are wrong. In a newly set up tank, there is usually an initial ammonia spike before the tank bacteria establishes, and then with a few water changes to remove the end product, the tank settles down. By cleaning out the filter weekly, you are basically resetting the tank to new over and over again and probably causing spike after spike, causing your fish to be miserable and stop eating. Indirectly, you can interpret this as "clean the filter weekly=fish stops eating." The filter is where the majority of the bacteria live that deal with all the tank waste, and you keep flushing them away.

The first two weekends you were just lucky, and maybe the 20% water change you are doing weekly is removing enough of the ammonia/nitrites to save your fish's life so far.

I lost focus with my established tank and set off an ammonia spike and resulting nitrite --> nitrate cycle and lost two fish before I realised what happened, and I've been keeping fish for over 15 years so should have known better.

Can you please give the other information that you missed in the template?
What is your GH and KH?
Also, what do you add to the water when you do a water change?
What pH is your tap water and do you test the tank pH just before a water change so that you don't have a sudden change in pH?

#261413 Weird Lump/s On Bristlenose - Very Sick

Posted by Flash Pleco on 08 September 2012 - 07:48 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

No change for most of the day.

I couldn't find 'Prime' so I bought 'Tetra Easy Balance with Nitraban' and dosed the tank to remove any residual nasties from the ammonia spike.
My test strips must be a bit aged because Petstock's test showed a higher level of nitrate than my test did. Other than that, all results seem the same.

Also bought Pimafix in case it was fungal and dosed the tank with that, and 2 minutes later had the first movement I've seen from him in a few days, but the timing could be coincidental, or a result of the nitrate fixer. He came out and sat on top of his rock until a baby platy tormented him into taking refuge back under his rock again.

The platy is trying to eat the lumps! ohmy.gif

I think it popped the bubble one because it's suddenly about a quarter of the size it was before!

This pic is about as clear as I could get of the lump
DSCF1208.JPG

#261391 Mans Best Friend :)

Posted by Flash Pleco on 08 September 2012 - 02:36 PM in Off The Wall

Gorgeous dogs! Love the brindling on your pup's legs Bigjohnnofish, very cute puppy!
Congrats on the DDB pups! My friend has a DDB, he's up for an op for Hip Dysplasia so just as well she had health insurance.

Here are my two.
Rolf the great dane, adopted him on his second birthday in May this year.

and Ella, 10 1/2 yo kelpie x have had since a crazy pup.

The two of them together about a week after Rolf came to live with us - firm friends! smile.gif

#261385 Weird Lump/s On Bristlenose - Very Sick

Posted by Flash Pleco on 08 September 2012 - 01:54 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Just guessing here, but could it be possible that something has spiked him, and the first lump is some intestine pushed out (like a hernia) and the second bubble-like lump part of his swim bladder that's pushed out?

If I knew what this was I'd have some idea whether to treat or euthanise. I just don't like seeing him obviously suffering. sad.gif

#261382 How To Kill Your Fish Humanely

Posted by Flash Pleco on 08 September 2012 - 01:38 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

QUOTE (Warby @ Sep 11 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clove Oil MSDS.. According to this you should be using a respirator, gloves and goggles while handling..

...and I sometimes heat this stuff in an oil diffuser! Makes the house smell nice when combined with lemongrass. No breathing issues so far...

Good to know it anaesthetises fish though. When mine have been too sick to make it in the past I've popped them in the freezer but I'd rather put them to sleep first so thanks for the info.

#261369 Weird Lump/s On Bristlenose - Very Sick

Posted by Flash Pleco on 08 September 2012 - 02:25 AM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Please fill out as much as possible below and give us a description of what is wrong with your fish.

Type of fish: Bristlenose catfish Ancistrus triradiatus
Symptoms: 'panting', lying upside down, listless (not showing stress colouration), strange lumps - one opaque just above pectoral fin, one bubble-like just behind the first one
Other tank mates: clown loaches, Synodontis eupterus, swordtail platy hybrids, cories, cardinal tetras, other smaller bristlenose cats
Tank size / capacity: 6'x2'x2'
Type of Food fed: Algae wafers, Willow wood wafers, Aqua-life pellets, flakes, shelled peas, frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp
Feeding frequency/amount: Daily - 2 algae wafers, 8-9 willow wood wafers, 1/4 teasp Aqua-life pellets, 1/16 teasp flakes.
Once/twice per week 5-6 shelled peas and one cube bloodworms or brine shrimp (alternate)
Substrate: Silica sand
Type of filtration: Eheim canister filter
Frequency of filter cleans: Not often enough, but water change is via filter outlet tap so partial flush.
Frequency and % volume of water changes: 1/3- 1/2 every 3-4 weeks but am changing to weekly 25%
Last water change: 2 days ago
PH: 6.6
KH: 0
GH: 60
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 40
Ammonia: Nil
Phosphate: ?
Water temp: ? 25-28 (thermometer died, buying new one this weekend)
Medications used recently to date: Only Stresscoat and Melafix
Any recent changes..new fish/filters/power outages etc etc: Latest fish added about 1 month ago - Synodontis and 2 Pictus catfish (pictus deceased due to suspected recent ammonia spike)

Photo of lumps:
DSCF1194.JPG

#261363 Hi, New To Forums, Not To Fish Keeping :)

Posted by Flash Pleco on 08 September 2012 - 12:58 AM in Introduce Yourself !

Thanks, I can do that! smile.gif
Bearing in mind that this was five years ago:

It looks a bit average now, with the only plants being broad leafed water sprite. Will take a while before I have it looking that good again as it will take time to collect the exotic greenlife and I no longer have some of the hardscaping elements (they also went with ex but didn't come back with the tank.) I've decided I want to do something more amazing this time though, inspired by the aquascaping threads in the community and planted forum!

This is a pic I took tonight:
DSCF1198.JPG

Edted to fix photo link

#261340 Updated: Aquascape Discussion (Aquascape No. 3, Pg 2)

Posted by Flash Pleco on 07 September 2012 - 09:13 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Great topic!

This was the tank ex and I had about 5 years ago.

Have just got the big tank back and need to get it back to something like this again, although I've just been inspired to go one step further! I watched the video Furnix linked to and have just spent a couple of hours watching youtube vids of stunning aquascapes!
This short youtube clip has some of the most gorgeous 'scenery' aquascapes - like bonsai landscapes in a tank! Such skill!

I love the ones at 0.20, 0.31, 0.39, 0.55, 1.02 and so many others!
Check out the one at 0.39! It would look like a painting...until a fish moved!

Will take a photo of my tank as it is now (a bit average), and keep you all updated on its transformation. smile.gif

#261336 Aquascaping

Posted by Flash Pleco on 07 September 2012 - 06:49 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Wow! What a stunning tank! I'm so inspired! Though I do feel like falling to my knees and yelling "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!" biggrin.gif

Now the real challenge - to create something half as lovely with the fish already in the tank! ohmy.gif

#261332 Aquarium Algae Identification And Treatments

Posted by Flash Pleco on 07 September 2012 - 05:52 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Thanks Hooked, that was a very informative article, and diagnosing what algae types I have also tells me what else I'm doing wrong with my tank! ohmy.gif
Such a delicate balancing act!

#261319 Hi There

Posted by Flash Pleco on 07 September 2012 - 02:17 PM in Introduce Yourself !

Awesome! Love the wall mounted set-up! smile.gif

OMG a whole room dedicated to fish, my other half would have a melt down! He doesn't quite get my fishy fascination.

#261315 New To Fish Owning :)

Posted by Flash Pleco on 07 September 2012 - 01:55 PM in Introduce Yourself !

What is your tank sitting on? Could be mistaken but from your photo it looks like it is overhanging the cabinet. Not sure that's a great idea, perhaps others could confirm.

How is Frank? Neons nibbling his fins at all or is everyone getting on?

#261314 Hi, New To Forums, Not To Fish Keeping :)

Posted by Flash Pleco on 07 September 2012 - 01:21 PM in Introduce Yourself !

Hi, a belated intro...

I have a planted community tank and a weakness for loaches, catfish, bumblebee gobies and blue rams. smile.gif

When my ex and I split a number of years ago, he got the larger 4'x2'x2' tank and I went back to my old 4'x1'x18". The large fish went with the large tank so sadly I no longer have Gibbo or the lancers in the pics below but thought I'd share because they're beautiful. Ex then stopped keeping fish but they went to a good home in a 6' tank. I bought the big tank back off him a few months ago, have moved my few into it and am starting to restock and landscape it.

I currently have:
2 mature clown loaches - Chromobotia macracanthus (approx 12 years old),
a lonely Corydoras multilineata and a lonely Corydoras sterbai (need a couple more of each),
2 lonely cardinals - Paracheirodon axelrodi
5 bristlenose catfish - Ancistrus triradiatus,
3 Swordtail platy hybrid females and 5 babies, Xiphophorus spp,
1 Featherfin catfish - Synodontis eupterus

Will add:
A King Tiger Pleco (Hypancistrus L066) in a couple of weeks
3-4 Pakistani loaches (Botia almorhae),
some bumblebees (Brachygobius xanthozona),
a handful of glass cats (Kryptopterus minor),
a few extra cardinals and cories and
a pair of blue rams (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

Wishlist!
a Flash Pleco (Panaque sp. L204) but don't know how easy they are to come by.
Panaque sp. L374 but also don't know how easy they are to find
Tempted to look for replacement lancers if the tank isn't too full and I can't get the Panaques smile.gif

'Gibbo' also affectionately known as 'The Rock', Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, about 30cm long.

Bad photo of a shy fish - Bagrichthys macracanthus, the black lancer. About 15cm long

Another bad photo of another shy fish - Bagroides melapterus, marbled lancer, originally misidentified as Leiocassis micropogon. About 22cm long.

My old friends - Lilo and Thor, Chromobotia macracanthus, had these two for over 12 years now smile.gif