Bristlenose Compatability + Algae Problem

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nemo92

nemo92
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2004 - 10:39 PM

Algae Problem

Hey guys, I have an algae problem in my tank.
The problem is that i keep getting algae all over the back on my aquarium (On the glass)
I shall get photo's of it soon in a week or so.
Too describe the algae... It is brown? and i get it all over my heater as well. I cleaned it off yesterday with a Magnetic Glass Cleaner, Works like a charm!
Except in a couple of days it will grow back!
Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

Bristlenose Compatibility

Also was wondering if i could keep a few Bristlenose (To help clean up my algae problem)
With my:

Soon too be two(at least one) 'Breeding Pair' Kribensis = 4 Kribensis

Uncertain pair of African Butterfly Cichlids Two more = 4 African Butterfly Cichlids

Three African Blockhead Cichlids (1M 2F) = 3 African Blockhead Cichlids

Standard 3ft Tank
Tank Dimensions in feet:
Length = 3ft
Width = 14 inch
Height = 18 inch

Filter = Fluval 204
Temperature = 28c
Substrate = Gravel

I added everything so you don't have too ask as many questions :good

#2 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:07 AM

don't I recognize this post from somewhere ;)

#3 mremants

mremants
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:39 AM

There shouldn't be any problems at all with the Bristlenoses.
All the other fish you stated that live in your tank are peaceful and grow to similar sizes as a Bristlenose(<15cm).

I keep Bristlenoses with my Severum's ( which grow to 25cm)and they don't even take intrest in the Bristlenoses.

By the way Algae eaters are the most effective fish at controlling algae.Though they are a very hyperactive fish and can get aggressive.

#4 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 15 March 2004 - 03:28 AM

Hi Nemo

Algae problem are nor,ally due to higher levels of nutrients in the water possibly from overcrowding or over feeding. Try cutting down the food for a while to see if it slows down.
The second thing is light. Brown algae usually occurs when light levels are a bit to low, either not on long enough, bulb effectiveness down due to age or possibly not high enough wattage for the tank.
Possibly ask the question at the next PCS meeting and might get some other ideas.

#5 mrgreen

mrgreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:48 PM

have u got direct sunlite hitting the back of ur tank?????
its easy to findout out , just blue-tac some old foam to the back of the tank(and possiblly the sides) and see if that slows it down , if it tanks a week , as aposed to the 2 days its taklin atm , a new back ground should help
cheers steve green

#6 nemo92

nemo92
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:22 PM

Where do you reconize this? ;)
What forum;) LoL i think i've posted it on a few and this is the best help so far :lol
Great little forum;)
Well i know i leave the light on too long and yes it is right next too a big window? could that be the cause of the brown algae?
Well i should be getting some young bristlenose in a few weeks:)

Okie guys well thanx:)

#7 mremants

mremants
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2004 - 02:17 AM

I'd say the biggest factor by far causing the brown algae is the fact the tank is in direct sunlight.

I have 2 tanks on a stand about a 30cm away from a window/sliding door and they have zero brown algae growing and never had such a problem. Whereas my little 10 litre fry tank(which is in direct sunlight) to the side of the bigger tanks, has brown algae growing on the glass facing the window all the time.

So move the tank out of direct sunlight and clean the growth off and you should have solved your algae problems.

#8 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2004 - 07:38 AM

You have answered your own question. A couple of bristlenose will eat more algae than you can grow so don't forget to supplement thier diet.

Alan

#9 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:30 PM

on that note, I have one tiny bristlenose in my tank, how often, how much and what should I be feeding it?

#10 Bristly

Bristly
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:14 PM

eX024.

Try a small piece of microwaved pumpkin before the light go out. By small I mean maybe 3mm thick by 20mm square.

Microwave it only for long enough that it will sink in a glass of water. The other fish probably wont love it but the bristly will. Watch how long it takes to go and you will get an idea of what he eats. Most people add a bristly when they have lots of algae and he starves to death when the algae runs out. I feed mine yellow button squash, beans, peas (both split or peeled) baby corn (they love this but you will have to remove the centre part from the tank after he has eaten the kernels off), broccoli, zucchini and canteloupe. The canteloupe is raw, so I poke a teaspoon through it to sink it. Don't leave canteloupe longer than one night as it starts to ferment and will cloud the tank. If this happens, a heavy addition of daphnia will clear it.

#11 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:08 AM

I'll give them a try, thanks for the tips

#12 UncleGuts

UncleGuts
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:35 PM

Hi everyone

I was wondering if the pumpkin and vege diet was appropriate for the snowflake bristlenose? I got 3 on wednesday last week from Aquotix.

Does anybody feed their Snowflakes vege's or is the consensus to feed only spirulina wafers?

Are there vitamin suppliments for catfish here in Australia? I have read on plecofanatics similar topics and their recommendations. Only thing is they talk about products that are not available in Australia, as far as I am aware.

I have read so much conflicting info on the internet, its bugging me. I dont wanna hurt me bristllies!

UncleGuts

#13 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:22 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum,
Bristlenoses, in any form, enjoy most foods. You can give them spirilina tabs, shrimp based pellets and even flake foods. You need to make sure to feed them at night so that any other tank inhabitants don't eat it all!

Many people (including myself) also add par boiled/blanched pumkin, shelled peas and corn, beans, zucchini, broccoli and raw cucumuber. If you are providing a mixture of the above foods, they should not suffer from a vitamin deficiency.

Remember to remove uneaten vegies the next day if they are not consumed to prevent any fouling of the water.

HTH.

merjo:)

#14 Anita ozfish

Anita ozfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 11:17 PM

Well Uncle Guts, all I can say is that I am amazed that you would spend the sort of money that you did on those snowflakes without doing some homework on their care and maintenance first :o :x :o

electral@bigpond.com | web | Sydney, Australia.

#15 UncleGuts

UncleGuts
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2004 - 11:52 PM

Hi Anita

Actually I got a great deal, 3 for $70.

I dont know if you have trouble comprehending English, or perhaps the way I have formed my question, but I said that I have done a lot of research, and would appreciate advice from members of a forum that would have years more experience than I currently have. I did say that I found a lot of conflicting information.

If however, I am going to get flamed everytime I ask a question, then perhaps I should rethink my strategy for finding information from such forums.

UncleGuts

#16 UncleGuts

UncleGuts
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 12:00 AM

Hey Thanks for the information Merjo.

I should have thanked you first off, but I got a little distracted. I will follow your advice, and I had hoped that a mix of vege's and spirulina would supply the nutrition that they required. This is the diet that I have been following.

Do you include fresh protein in their diet, or does this come from the flakes? I was thinking about bloodworms.

I hope the purpose of moderators is NOT to 'put newbies to the forum' in their 'place'. A question as silly as mine may seem, may be for conformation and peace of mind after all...

UncleGuts

#17 Anita ozfish

Anita ozfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:40 AM

Uncle Guts, you have my most sincere aplologies :) I read all of your post but skipped that one sentence - obviously a very important one. Maybe if I had imbibed a trifle less I would have seen it. :p
Personally I don't think too many people have kept snowflakes hence my tart reply. :)

Ok, so what are you calling a 'snowflake b/nose'?? Is it the peppermint ancistrus you are talking about or a pleco or panaque? They aren't all necessarily vegetarians which is perhaps why you are getting conflicting info on the net. Do you have an L number to go with these fish? My guess is the L102 which is the snowball pleco or otherwise just a peppermint. Without knowing what you have, it's hard to determine the dietary requirements because it does not necessarily have to be a vegetarian. ;) :chomp

electral@bigpond.com | web | Sydney, Australia.

Edited by: Anita ozfish at: 4/11/04 9:53 pm

#18 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:54 AM

:x :( :o

Edited by: Mazimbwe  at: 4/11/04 9:02 pm

#19 UncleGuts

UncleGuts
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:36 AM

Hey all, Anita.

The fish is the Snowflake bristlenose - Ancistrus dolichopterus. It gets called hoplogenys a lot all though from what I have read (on the Aus Catfish And Loach Forum), this is a thing of the past.

Actually, while most people can identify with the name Peppermint, I dont know where it came from, nor do the fish shops local to me. Though from some of the posts on forums, it would seem that the Peppermint and Snowflake are interchangeable, and are often used to distinguish between morphology of the fish (I think to distinguish between those with a white seam and those with out.)

It looks like there is not one name for any of the Ancistrus, and that most are confused. L183, Starlight Bristlenose Catfish is what Planet Catfish calls it currently. This is the best source that I have found so far.

Thankyou for the apology, no hard feelings I hope.

UncleGuts

#20 Bristly

Bristly
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:13 PM

Uncleguts.

In Melbourne, starlights are expensive and not readily obtainable. I take it your fishes were littlies at that price.

Spirulina is all vegetable, albeit dried so if your fishes eat that, they will certainly thrive on Pumpkin, Zucchini, Squash etc all of which are much cheaper than Spirulina but always have driftwood in the tank until/unless you can be sure that the species you have is NOT vegetarian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users