What's The Best Perth Fish Forum?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

hi all,
Seems this forum has slowed right down since I was last in the cichlid keeping game. Has another forum or group taken over as the premier group in Perth?
Thanks,
Shane.

#2 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:13 PM

No, this is the best for Perth imo. There are FB groups and other forums, but for cichlids this is a good forum.

#3 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

No PCS is still it. All the action is in the members only section these days.

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

Forums world wide are dead nowadays. I remember when Apistogramma.com was busy.
PCS will get some activity on here, definitely more activity than any other forum I look at in Aust.
It looks like Facebook aquarium pages are more active now. I find them (for the most part) annoying though, as someone will ask a question, then not listen to an answer. Forums are better for me than a Facebook page.

#5 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:37 PM

totally agree ^^^^^ jas

#6 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:39 PM

I figured social media pages may have been the reason. It's amazing how quickly they've taken over in the last couple of years. Definately much quieter on here than what I remembered. Good to know it's still #1 though.

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:52 AM

def facebook has taken over... prob is there is so many groups , more starting daily , that looking for something on facebook is soon becoming a nightmare... and its a little too personal for my liking... and the bs and mud slinging leaves this joint for dead!!!  i think forum will go though a quiet period before a lot of people ending up coming back... sick of all the bs and keyboard warriors and personal threats etc etc etc... finding facebook users just like to see their own posts without regard to what it actually says... find more genuine people on here...  and more time wasters on facebook... but each to their own...

#8 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

Unlike some social media and Facebook groups, this is actually a constituted/registered club....The forum is simply an online extension of the physical club.

We have monthly meetings, auctions, International speakers, regular competitions, Sponsorship from LFS's..ect

Yes, things have slowed down, but proportionally to a decrease in the amount of hobbyists in Perth. 

#9 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

Facebook is a scourge on society.

#10 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

This forum goes quiet from time to time, but then it picks up. Really it depends on topics being posted, I check this forum regaularly but if the topic doesn't 'peek' my interest, or I have no idea what it is, I will not speak on it.

On a side note; I been enjoying the off-topic section a little more :P

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 08 April 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#11 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:36 AM

hey i like to post off topic stuff - but keep getting told off -> some topics , arent considered by some of the hierarchy to be suitable for discussion... world news is something thats not liked because so much of it includes conflict between different people for different reasons... every other fish forum seems to be fine with it... so im reluctant to post much nowadays :(  even though lots of members pm and tell me how they like my posts and its keeps them coming back to see what people think and comment... when things are quiet on the fish scene its always good to yarn about something else... like to spend 15-20 min a day on pcs to keep in touch... and check out whats happening... 

and i think facebook is fantastic... im able to keep in touch with mates working abroad.... and it tells me when everybodys birthday is coming up (best so i dont forget the missus bday  :Rofl_3f: )... and you can keep track of the young fella via his post locations.... and you never miss out on parties and school reunions... but the hourly jibber jabber and constant updates of their life as well as their dirty laundry being posted up for all to see is def a scourge.... young people spend their whole life revolving around facebook and thats scary for the future.... 

#12 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:33 PM

i love pcs and been a member for a while now but being a discus keeper i would have loved to see a section for discus on this forum and have hinted about this a few times only to deaf ears so im not as active on here as i used to be. but either way i guess this is the best perth forum at the moment. 

#13 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

I think the diversity of topics is pretty good here considering we are handicapped by what we arent allowed to keep here. It does get quiet sometimes but that probably just indicates that I need to get off "fishbook" as my wife calls it and go do something more productive with my time.
The PCS forum is one of only 3 fish forums I bother even looking at. The others being qldaf.com and aquariumlife.com.au

This forum is way more civilised than most (lower complete wanker ratio than most forums). In that regard it has improved immeasurably since I first joined.

#14 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

i love pcs and been a member for a while now but being a discus keeper i would have loved to see a section for discus on this forum and have hinted about this a few times only to deaf ears so im not as active on here as i used to be. but either way i guess this is the best perth forum at the moment. 

The WA Discus forum sucks giant &*)%s

#15 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Just so you know your request is not falling on deaf ears.

It's just that excessive sub forums makes forum navigation difficult and looks messy.

And having one solely dedicated to discus doesn't really work.

We don't have sub forums dedicated to African cichlid's by lake, or even separating cichlid's by continent, so having one for one particular species seems like a waste to me.

I am happy to create a sub forum if there is a sound argument for one, or if enough members on here request it.

But I don't like the idea personally, you could argue that more people keep electric yellows than any other species so they should get their own sub forum too. 

#16 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:36 AM

fair enough and i get your point. how about doing a species of the month and making the topic sticky for the said month? and depending on the response and at the end of the year the topic with the most discussion or participation deserves a sub forum? just a thought....

#17 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

Sure, You can start one if you like.

Just PM me the link once you have posted it and I'll pin it for you.

I'm happy to give it a go :)

#18 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

Excellent reply Werdna.... So whens the E/Yellow sub forum coming up?

#19 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

and bristlenose under the catfish section :)

#20 jase87

jase87
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:01 AM

I am all about my honesty and I personally never get on PCS much anymore because im sick of some off the rude members on here. I find Facebook driven pages to be more friendly to everyone on all aspects of the hobby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users