Photo

Your Quick Response To This

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:26 AM

do you agree with the death penalty being imposed on the 2 "aussie" drug traffickers in indonesia..... taking into account the drugs they brought into australia caused grief , theft , violence and death to many people.... 

just wanna find out what peoples opinions are...  

"YES" or "NO" is a suitable answer if you donot wish to comment in full.... 

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:42 AM

Yes

#3 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:10 AM

Yes

Always sad if a human life is lost but it is the law of the country

#4 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

Yes

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

No.

Not all laws are correct, and certainly not all legal systems are just. 

#6 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

Yes.

#7 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

Yes

But they should have done it John snow style. Quick and swift, then and there.
Not 10 years later.

#8 JimmyTheFish

JimmyTheFish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

It pays to do a little research, eh!

Not all countries laws are the same and Indonesia has highlighted drugs as a severe issue in their country and the punishment is obviously severe. Should those executed be incarcerated for lengthy periods prior, well this is usually dictated by the appeals process, every stone upturned, right!

I'm not an advocate of the death penalty at all, and the real tragedy here is what the families of all those executed have had to and are enduring.

Neglecting a country's sovereignty is perilous and history shows. They did execute one of their own citizen's as well, so it isn't like the Indonesian Government has any favoritism. 

We mustn't forget...rehabilitated maybe, but they were criminals.

A stern warning to all who think they can go overseas and shun the law.

#9 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

do you agree with the death penalty being imposed on the 2 "aussie" drug traffickers in indonesia..... taking into account the drugs they brought into australia caused grief , theft , violence and death to many people.... 

just wanna find out what peoples opinions are...  

"YES" or "NO" is a suitable answer if you donot wish to comment in full.... 

No - despite the framing of the question...... ;)

#10 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

These two drug traffickers threatened the lives and family's of 7 other people to scare them into assisting them in taking illegal drugs out of a country with the death penalty for drug trafficking.

The year they were caught (2005) 131 people in Australia died from causes related to Heroin, the drug they were attempting to bring into the country.

Do I believe in the death penalty for Australia? No.

Do I believe they should have been killed? Yes.

#11 Voodoo

Voodoo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:03 AM

i hope all of you that are advocating this waste of life never did anything when you were 21 that you regret - while i agree that they should be punished for their crime death for this is a horrible waste of life.

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

Indonesia has a horrible 'drug problem' it is there for anyone to see if they travel to Indonesia. In fact the Gilli Islands have become a major destination for people looking to seek what I like to call 'a drug holiday' mainly because the place is riddled with Methamphetamine and is largely 'lawless'. Indonesia has also had the death penalty for many years now, has it helped? in my opinion, No.

I did lots of stupid things when I was 18-21, granted none quite as stupid as trafficking drugs into Indonesia. These two young men don't deserve to die for a period of stupidity in their lives.

I absolutely hate when people bring up statistics around how many people die due to drugs. There has always been and always will be drugs available - killing a few drug traffickers here and there isn't going to change a damn thing. Nobody is forcing anyone to be a junkie, nobody is forcing anyone into thinking that life needs drugs. The individual needs to take some responsibility for their own lives. Live well. Stop passing the buck onto the next person for why you have failed.

#13 Voodoo

Voodoo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

its not just indo with the drug problem - the world has a drug problem and while we continue to treat addiction as a criminal offense rather than a medical condition people can't get the help that is required.

#14 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

No.

The Death Penalty is a final solution that solves nothing.

It causes ongoing damage and suffering to the families far longer than the public's recall of the "deterrent effect" of such "justice".

In the case of Chan and Sukuruman ....

Will it stop the flow of drugs through Indonesia?

Will it stop the flow of drugs into Australia?

Would it have been imposed if the original trial judge had been paid off?

Has it consistently been imposed in Indonesia for similar crimes?

Would they have been charged if they'd paid off the local police (or police chief) at the time?

Is it fair and reasonable to impose such a penalty after they spent 10 years on death row?

Is it fair and reasonable to impose such a penalty when they demonstrated rehabilitation?

Is it fair and reasonable to impose such a penalty when they were providing such leadership and charitable services to others?

In general terms...

Is the verdict reached by a Court always the correct one?

Do trial witnesses, including police, always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Has everyone that has been executed (in Australia, in Indonesia, and elsewhere), been guility of the offence?

... Too many miscarriages of justice over the years

... Too many successful appeals where convictions are overturned

The Death Penalty is not a deterrent, it is not an appropriate punishment, in any supposedly democratic country in an enlightened 21st century!!!

#15 DinPerth

DinPerth
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

Yes

#16 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

its not just indo with the drug problem - the world has a drug problem and while we continue to treat addiction as a criminal offense rather than a medical condition people can't get the help that is required.

Or the quality control that keeps piss heads and pill poppers safe.

#17 Stuey

Stuey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

It's clear as day to me that the punishment did not fit the crime. Drug dealers are able to reform, after all it's simply greed that fuels their illegal activities not some irreversible sadistic desire they need to feed like rapists and murderers.

"Taking into account the drugs they brought into Australia caused grief , theft , violence and death to many people...."

So by the statement above we should follow suit and execute Mr Jim Beam and Mr Jack Daniels for supplying alcohol to Australia? I've personally sampled quite a few illegal substances recreationally and I haven't killed, raped, stolen or even missed a day off work as a result and severely doubt I'm the only exception to the rule.

#18 GrandLocomon

GrandLocomon
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:59 PM

Yes, however I do feel sorry for their families.

#19 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

Yes, they got the correct punishment. They gambled and lost, they were only sorry because they got caught. If they hadn't been caught they more than likely would  still be doing it. No tears here.

• Fox likes this

#20 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

No, it did not need to happen. I believe the media have it right this time and it very likely happened to secure political support for the newish president. There are reasons in my mind that justify executing someone (personal view) but gaining political support is not one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users