Photo

Lake Victorians

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

Anyone know where Yu can get some lake Victorian cichlids not your usual flame backs or ASTATOTILAPIA-LATIFASCIATA-CRIMSON-TIDE
Looking for some different ones , only asking as I'm contemplating changing over to them

#2 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

They are tricky to come by, and a bit sporadic.

I breed ptyochromis hippo point salmon and astatotilapia aeneocolor yellow belly alberts ( not strictly a Victorian, I think).

Apart from latifasciata, I have seen enterochromis paropius, a peaceful and very pretty fish. There are some python island pundamilia nyereri about, as well as haplochromis sp.44 "thickskin. Also some haplochromis thereuterion and a few lithocromis types if you can track them down. Egyptian mouthbrooders ( pseudocrenilabrus multicolor) might even qualify.

These and others are floating about at sponsor stores and in breeders'collections, but not a great many. Have seen them at Aquotix, Vebas, Rob's, Morley, Midland . The main point is if you have more than one species of Victorian, don't keep them in the same tank (unless it's an all male display), as the females resemble each other pretty closely and the fry are pretty much indistinguishable.

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:49 AM

I agree with Kleinzy, the same should be applied to the Malawi peacocks then they wouldn't be so mixed up (1type per tank). There are usually some in the auction, Astatotilapia burtoni is another one. A lot of the Lake victorian cichlids can also be found in the surrounding waterways and near by lakes but they all more than likely originated from the larger lake (Victoria). Astatotilapia latifasciata is about the only one i'd mix with other victorians as the females have large barring and are easily distinguished from the usual plain olive victorian females.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users