Photo

Feral Fish

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 dave06

dave06
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

I didnt want to hi-jack the previous thread...

Here are some photos of feral fish I have caught.
I have caught alot more but these are the only photos I have on my work computer.

Cheers

Dave

Goldfish

Koi

Attached Files

#2 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

Awesome catches mate!

#3 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

I think you need to come with us on our Wednesday mission bro smile.gif

#4 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

I tend to agree.

#5 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (Riggertron @ Sep 13 2011, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you need to come with us on our Wednesday mission bro smile.gif

Is this an invite only event or just for you northies eeeeeyek hehe smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

#6 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Wouldn't want you to have to come up to the dark side mate tongue.gif

#7 dave06

dave06
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

Guys im hell keen for a fish!
Ice - I've PMd you.
Only thing is I fly to Hedland Tomoro just for the day. Do u guys wanna go Thurs evening?

#8 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

Yeah im keen can't say I've ever really gone fishing properly lol always go down with afew good mates throw a line in and sonewere between getting a beer out the eski and packing up I get side tracked lol should make a meeting out of it lol

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

I'd be keen too
Can I wear camo?

#10 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:39 PM

Full pack and webbing Jason... biggrin.gif camo is a requirement!! This is stealth fishing...

From what I've found out so far from contacting the council, the rangers, Calm and fisheries is that local ponds and lakes where these "feral fish" live are mostly council lakes and the council has a no fishing policy..... So if we want to fish these lakes at the moment it's on a strictly stealth basis smile.gif

Cheers
Nick

PS anyone is welcome to join us smile.gif we northies don't discriminate like the southies do smile.gif

#11 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (Bickley @ Sep 13 2011, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
should make a meeting out of it lol

QUOTE (Riggertron @ Sep 13 2011, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyone is welcome to join us smile.gif

Just to be clear this is not something the PCS would endorse or be involved in unless permission from councils was granted. It's up to you what you do but don't say you're there under the PCS banner.

#12 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Hey poncho that's fair call I would never represent PCS in any negative manner. The aim is to get more people supporting PCS and acknowledging our contributions to the environment not our disregard for laws and regulations. Nick (Riggertron) has been chasing this subject up for months having interviews with the appropriate people trying to find the right way to go about it.Unfortunately as far as I am aware Nick has been hand balled back and forth and has established who to get written permission from but hasn't actually received permission as of yet. I was just suggesting that this would be a good way to meet fellow members and chip in to clean up our waterways. Hope you don't mind me speaking on your behalf nicko lol correct me if I'm wrong that is were your up to ?

#13 Lachy

Lachy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hey guys

Im defiantly keen for some night ops smile.gif
Let me no when your planning to head out

#14 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

This is in no way affiliated with PCS and I am aware of the legalities and negative effects it may have, saying that though, stealth missions are cool....... You should come poncho smile.gif you'd love it!!! Keeping the waterways natural!!

Stealh mission 1....

#15 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

WTF is that?? Would look good in my tb tank lol 

#16 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

hehehe, some crazy hybrid goldfish thing, it had some pretty serious spines on it too!

Stealth fishing is awesome fun.

#17 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:41 AM

i think its important to complete a diary on where you caught what fish, its size and how many etc... visually note fish numbers if possible.... at a later date this information would be very usefull to councils and even aqis and calm etc.....

when we used to go pigging out back of the weir and surrounding areas calm was thankfull that we notified them of our pig kills/captures and locations/conditions etc... so they knew where to place their traps....

if i wasnt getting too old i'd still be out there!!!

i'd be up for some fishin though!!! not so dangerous... the fish dont get agro and chase you up the nearest tree after you filled them full of lead!!!!

Edited by bigjohnnofish, 15 September 2011 - 12:42 AM.

#18 dave06

dave06
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

Here are some more photos

The big koi my brothers holding took about 10 stealth trips to finally get him - eventually we caught it steve irwin style , we were both pretty much swimming and herded it into the edge before my bro jumped on its back and pinned it down.... was epic hahaha!
The photo doesnt do his size justice - Luke is quite a big guy and size/girth of this fish was very impressive

Attached Files

Edited by dave06, 15 September 2011 - 11:02 AM.

#19 dave06

dave06
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

more photos..

Attached Files

#20 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Ok so back on the legal topic, Johnno has a great idea with the log book to record observations and catches.

I had a big talk with the guys at fisheries and they have just started a new dept. dedicated to the education of councils and the public about local waterways and fresh water species... As Bickley pointed out I have been to my local council with a cleanup plan for local lakes and recently had a meeting with the rangers who look after these parks to discuss ways of removal of feral fish... At the moment the council aren't concerned and there are some waterways councils actually stock with koi... The removal of these fish at the moment is not frowned upon by fisheries at all but it's the local councils that need educating because they are the ones responsible for theses ponds and lakes..... The legalities are this..... Removal of 'wildlife' from parks is illegal, koi are not wildlife they are introduced but the problem is rangers still try and enforce a $5000 fine if you take them even though we are doing them a favour..... The councils solution is drain the lake every 2-5 years and kill everything off then start again..... I'm still talking to the local council at the moment so we shall see if I make any more progress smile.gif

Cheers
Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users