Photo

Feeding Pygmy Perch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Just wondering what others feed Pygmy Perch - they smash frozen food but not keen on dry - like flake - thanks mal

#2 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

I have never had any problem with pygmy perches taking flake (or any other prepared dry food). Obviously the best bet would be to offer them live foods. Daphnia will unfortunately be a late starter this year, but mosquito larvae would of course be ideal (I don't need to tell you about risks and precautions to be taken if you decide to "culture" the latter).
I have observed pygmies eating alga, and note that they are quite difficult to starve.

Syd.

#3 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

I'd say I've spoiled them with frozen food - I also just read you only need to feed them once a week in a large pond and over feeding is not good..............

Edited by malbone, 09 April 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#4 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Myn love frozen and live foods, they take foods best from the surface. Freeze dried blackworms are taken with relish.

They will eat flake but take awhile to wean onto them. Small western galaxias (10cm and under) take flake no probs however usually will not eat from the surface like Pygmy perch.

I found adult Pygmy perch easier to feed than juvies but first few days was live foods only.

Young western galaxias do well on dead foods, large adult western galaxias (13cm+) can be troublesome to get to eat. They also are more aggressive and eat anything that moves and fits in there mouths. Myn chased my Pygmy perch for days till it figured they where too big and too quick.

My wall has water stains all over it from feeding him lol.

Juls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users