Photo

Gold Fish And Salt?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oscar m

oscar m
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ha got a question all just picked up a 2 foot grow out tank it came with some gold fish there good size and he was putting aquarium salt in the tank and it was quite a lot from the looks of it whats the best way to wean them off the salt so they don't go in to shock and die and get them back to pond fish dose this sound all right
10% water change a day with no salt and at the end of the week add just a little back ? Do this for 3 weeks till there off the salt all together

#2 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

Goldfish do better with a bit of salt in their water, general maintenance use 1kg per 1000 ltrs as a medication up to 5kg per 1000ltrs. At the 5kg rate do a 25% water change after 24 hours. The person you got the fish off knows what he is doing why do you want to wean them off salt.
Tip: Use rock salt it's cheaper

#3 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

hi there ,
for me i would remove the salt all together. it irritates the fish and in turn creates more of a slime coat which i know it can be healthy but it is,also its used for treatments in regards to paracites or ailments etc, mostly in the form of salt baths.
having salt always in the tank will inevitably increase tollerance in the fish and any paracites and there for i believe it will reduce the effectiveness of having it in there,personally regular water changes and a balanced diet and good water conditions should be enough to keep a good slime coat and in turn a healthy fish ,and when you do use it to medicate it will be more effective,also take care in the dosage , ask a pro if you're unsure,say a vet or very experienced fish keeper.

to remove it from your tank, just do a 30to 40 percent water change a couple of times a week over a few weeks and keep up regular water changes as you probably won't get every sinch of it out .

just my opinion,hope this will help,
all the best,
Con.

Edited by garlic shrimp, 02 June 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#4 oscar m

oscar m
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

thanks guys the reason for asking is I'm hoping to take them to the pond shop and swap them for some plants I know I should of put this in my original thread sorry and I don't think that put salt in there water

#5 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (Terry @ Jun 2 2012, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goldfish do better with a bit of salt in their water, general maintenance use 1kg per 1000 ltrs as a medication up to 5kg per 1000ltrs. At the 5kg rate do a 25% water change after 24 hours. The person you got the fish off knows what he is doing why do you want to wean them off salt.
Tip: Use rock salt it's cheaper

im with terry

#6 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

I totally agree with Con on this one. Many years ago I worked in a commercial koi and goldfish farm, the only fish to get salt would be sick fish in a pond that was not connected to the main system and even then we would use it sparingly until we stopped this method all together. As Con has said it tends to irriatate the fish... We found that Anchor worm and Lice were the most common parasites and often would still be present after using higher salinity water. We found that removing the parasite or worm manually was much more effective followed by a 5-10 min salt bath. After that they were placed in a 'sick tank' for observation.. I am of the opinion that continually dosing your water with salt is a waste of time and has no major benefits to the health of the Goldfish smile.gif

#7 oscar m

oscar m
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for your help guys well I rang up the pond shop this morning and said don't worry about detoxing them we will take them now of u like and gave me a $5 store credit for the big guys there in there display pond now and not in my little grow out tank yha!

#8 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (oscar m @ Jun 3 2012, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gave me a $5 store credit for the big guys

Have fun spending that one mate.

#9 oscar m

oscar m
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (waxy @ Jun 4 2012, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have fun spending that one mate.

Better than a kick in the pants I all ways say LOL
They where really good some places where going to give me nothing for the big guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users