Photo

Marron And Stuff

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

Interesting question. I really dont know. I guess the factor in your favour is that there is unlikely to be anyone about to bust you.
Besides if they couldnt it would take half the fun out of it, wouldnt it?

Ive never actually eaten marron, i suppose they taste similar to their marine cousins, do they?

#22 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

Not if your still on his property.. If you try take some home and get pulled over you will be fined as you can not technically prove they are from a private dam. Can you imagine how many people would just rattle of a mates farm to get away with a fine

#23 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

Big taste difference between Marron and cray. The Marron you get out if a dam will taste different to one from a aquarium. The Marron you buy at restaurants are flushed in aquaponic systems to get rid of the muddy taste. If they are on private property they belong to the land owner. The restrictions in public water ways are to protect the population, obviously giving time to repopulate etc and make sure it dosnt run out. If you guys eat all the Marron in the dam that's your choice

#24 aussiemcgee

aussiemcgee
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Your lucky you still have marron in your tank after a moult !

I had marron and silvers in a tank ages ago and noticed one of them moulting one day. I got up for around 10 seconds to grab a beer then sit and enjoy the show, when I got back it was marron soup ! bits and pieces flying everywhere !

Moulting pheremones make them irresistable to all things fishy

#25 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Wow crazy. I have 8 silvers and 6 marron... all marron have moulted with no interest at all from the silvers.
Neither species really bothers the others. Has been a fairly happy tank so far. Marron havent attempted an escape yet either that im aware of... They might as they grow and get a bit friskier about territory. They will be outta that tank before long and into a bigger pond. I only plan on keeping 2 or 3 long term. Whatever is left i will sell.

#26 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hey what do you feed your Marron?

#27 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Not sure what its called Andrew. Its a pellet recommended by the folks at Woodvale Fish and Lilly Farm. I also feed them the odd bit of carrot peel, lettuce etc. Mostly they just share the same pellets as the silvers.

#28 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

I fed mine cat food. Little bit messy

#29 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

One of my 2 year olds (not sure which one) threw a handful of dogfood in the other day... Went un noticed till i got home from work... took me ages to clean up, it was all soft and smoodgie.
Hard to be mad they probably thought they were being helpful feeding the "pinchys".
So other than the mess do they go ok on catfood?

#30 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Absolutely

#31 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

they do well on cat too... dont worry about cat food lol.... 

#32 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

Haha yeah i just read the feral cat post in off the wall, hey wheres Androo's feral cat?
My mrs and kids would not understand why there is a dead kitty in the lounge room fish tank being fed upon by marron.

#33 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

My marron jumped the divider im using to keep fish from plants... It is totally impossible to get under or around it. Must have gone over it... Thats not easy cos the top of the divider sits above the waterline... Ill put them back and watch them with the night vision goggles tonight... See how the little buggers are doing it.

#34 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

They can jump out of the water when tail flicking. I remember a few times when a kid on a tyre tube on the dam and seeing flying Marron. And one landed on my big sisters tube and she screamed. Good times, good times

#35 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thats funny Androo! Marron are funny little buggers, well worth keeping.

I have chucked a 10-15 cm Murray Cod in with my silvers and marron. Going ok so far. I know this will not end well long term but at the moment all is well... When it gets agro it will be put in a tank on its own. Hopefully before it munches anything.

So glad I got this fish. I have always wanted a Murray but never really had room for one as well as everything else. He has been sulky since i got him Saturday but he is slowly coming out of his shell.

#36 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

I had to empty my pond tank the other day and refill it... Well my Marron decided they didn't like shiny new fresh water and legged it... Didnt get far, my dog was all over it. Had em bailed up. All I could see from the kitchen window was the dog going ape shit at something, then I saw this little blue claw extend out of the grass towards the dog. Walked outside to see all five crawling through the lawn I chucked em back in and they have stayed put. 

Was funny as hell to watch the dog freaking out though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users