Photo

Natural Selection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GreenStreet

GreenStreet
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have some fry swimming around in the bottom of my tank and a another holding at the moment, the question is what do I do? I have a 4 ft tank with 3 groups of 5 - latifasciata,  Labidochromis Cearulas, Melanochromis johannii.

Can I just leave them to make it on there own - or not, they have done pretty well so far I can see the Johanii shape in them.

Do I put in a partition for them?

Looks like I will have to deal with this issue at some stage, I wasn't really planning on breeding my fish so not fussed if they don't make it but at the same time I don't want the little guys torn apart for no real reason. 

How do others deal with the inevitable additions to thee tanks?

Thanks

#2 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

There's a possibility the fry are hybrids based on the scenario you've described - in which case I'd suggest you're best off letting them get eaten, which they might or might not if you leave them in the tank. If you want to breed I'd think about reducing the tank to one of those species so you can be sure of what you're producing.

You can raise fry in a floating fry saver - there are commercially available ones at LFS's or you can DIY - should be an instructional post in the DIY forum.

#3 Petert

Petert
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

+1 to Poncho's reply.

In my 2m Malawi display, I always have BB Zebra fry darting in and around the rocks.

I'm also fortunate enough have a 18cm Dimidiochromis compressiceps who is awesome to watch as he stalks the fry, then Bam, so quick and precise.

No fry are ever collected from this tank.

Edited by Petert, 03 December 2013 - 06:43 PM.

• ice likes this

#4 GreenStreet

GreenStreet
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I had never intended to breed, all fish are still small and young I didn't think I was going to have to worry about it for a while and was not sure what the right/normal/human response was.  I had read the threads on putting fry down and clearly it is a topic that some are more comfortable with than others.

Poncho I was given the impression that I would not have to worry about cross breading with the groups I have, are you talking specifically if I was trying to breed or have I got a tank of whores? 

#5 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

All mbuna are whores and those fish can crossbreed. And yeah if you were trying to breed from a specific type you should separate IMO. If that's not your intent then there's nothing wrong with keeping them together - just be cautious calling any fry johanni or whatever as I don't think you could be sure.

But enjoy watching what happens to the fry naturally in the tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users